Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Got 2.2 perfect,....except....Skype/Pulseaudio conflict

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.2

Got 2.2 perfect,....except....Skype/Pulseaudio conflict

Postby Vincente » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi, thanks to a tremendous effort by all and especially Moebius, I have 2.2 just the way I want it......except.....I need and use Skype and I cannot get it to work at all (I have to switch to XP, real PITA). I have tried all the various "fixes" and followed Amir's instruction for installation, but from what I read, there is a real compatibility/conflict between Skype and Pulseaudio. I even tried removing Pulseaudio to go with only Alsa, no luck.

It would seem Pulseaudio leaves a lot to be desired, shame there is not a more universal "fix" for audio problems in Linux in general and in particular, wherever Pulseaudio rears its ugly head, an alternative to this seemingly flawed program.

I have sound in everything else throughout Ultimate Edition and have checked, per various fixes, all the different sound settings....it would seem, if sound works everywhere but Skype and others are getting Skype OK in Ultimate Edition something must need to be "tweaked".

Please, need simple, easy to follow details on this as I do not wish to risk disturbing my install now that it is finally to my liking.
[color=#0040FF]1) ZotacION 64bit
* New ZOTAC ION platforms
* NVIDIA ION mGPU
* 16 stream processors
* Integrated Intel Atom N330 (dual-core) processors
* 533 MHz front-side bus
* HDMI (w/7.1-channel Audio), DVI and VGA outputs
* HDCP compliant
* 2 DDR2 DIMM slots 4GB
* DDR2-667/800 compatible
* Up to 8GB of DDR2 memory
* Integrated DC-DC power supply
* Included 19V AC/DC power brick
* Integrated 802.11n WiFi
* Mini PCI Express slot
* Microsoft DirectX 10 and OpenGL 2.1 compatible
* WD "Green" 500GB sata HD
Plextor sata slot DVD burner
dedicated Ultimate Edition 2.2(both computers)

computer 2)
Intel DG45FC mini-ITX 64bit
Chipset Intel G45
CPU E8500
4GB Memory
500GB Barracuda sata HD
Plextor sata slot DVD burner
Mitsubishi Diamond Digital 32" monitors, both computers, 16 x 9
Vincente
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Re: Got 2.2 perfect,....except....Skype/Pulseaudio conflict

Postby Cell » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:58 pm

Do at your own risk!!!

1. Backup (and then delete) your previous configuration files:

Code: Select all
$ mkdir ~/pulse-backup && cp -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound* /etc/asound.conf /etc/pulse -t ~/pulse-backup/
$ rm -r ~/.pulse ~/.asound*
$ sudo rm /etc/asound.conf

Warning: As always, use caution when removing files on your system. Any typos can potentially cause data loss.
Note: Don't worry if some of these files did not exist on your system.

2. Ensure you have the necessary PulseAudio libraries and configuration utilities installed:

$ sudo apt-get install libasound2-plugins padevchooser libsdl1.2debian-pulseaudio

3. Get rid of this. "libflashsupport":

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge libflashsupport flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound

Note: the libflashsupport library was (and to a certain extent, still is) the most common cause of Firefox instability since the Hardy release, because many users have been misled into thinking they must install it to ensure Flash & PulseAudio can work correctly. If you notice any postings that recommend this library to be installed,Tell them they are full of...well you know ;)

4. Open System/Preferences/Sound. In the Devices section, ensure that all "Sound playback" options are set to Autodetect. Set the "Sound capture" item to "ALSA", or the appropriate hardware definition. Close the application when you're finished.

Note: Choosing PulseAudio for sound capture may result in crashes, so you are advised to choose the "direct" ALSA device instead

5. Open the PulseAudio Volume Control application ("pavucontrol", or you can launch "Applications/Sound & Video/PulseAudio Device Chooser" and select Volume Control from this applet's menu). In the Output Devices section you will see a listing of the playback devices available on your system. Right-click on the entry that you desire to be made the default playback device on your system and enable the "Default" checkmark. Similarly, navigate to Input Devices, then right-click on the device you wish to set as your default input device (microphone), and ensure the "Default" setting is checked. Close the application when you're finished.

Note: If you are greeted with the error "Connection failed: Connection refused", manually launch PulseAudio before opening the PulseAudio Volume Control application:

$ pulseaudio & pavucontrol

6. Ensure that your sound card's PCM mixer is not muted or set to 0% volume (this appears to be a common bug in Intrepid and Jaunty.Haven't seen it in Karmic yet):

$ alsamixer -Dhw

Note: When the PulseAudio ALSA plugins are active, you must explicitly specify your hardware device in alsamixer (marked in blue above), otherwise it will open the PulseAudio mixer.

you're finished - log out and back in for changes to take effect!

Should work peachy.

Cell
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive