Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Rockchip MP4 Player USB Connecting

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.1

Rockchip MP4 Player USB Connecting

Postby Edmundajw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:57 pm

Hello.

I've just installed Ultimate Edition 2.1 on my computer and I am quite impressed with the number of and quality of music players and music organisers on it. However I am having trouble connecting via USB my MP4 player which is Rockchip based- It's an S-Flo. I researched a while ago and found that many people have this problem but it works properly with the latest kernel, but I thought this does have the latest kernel, and it's not working. But I was thinking I can't just install the latest kernel as Ultimate Edition has a modded kernel, right?

Basically when I connect it I can't see anything happening. And I've found that when the player does connect via USB it says connected to computer on the screen (as it did in Windows), but at the moment it just goes to charging and shows a charging animation. I don't want to install Windows just so I can get my MP4 Player to work, but I do want to get it to work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie
Edmundajw
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Re: Rockchip MP4 Player USB Connecting

Postby Edmundajw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:05 pm

EDIT:

Ok, I've found this:

http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4923

Can anyone confirm for me is this will work/ is ok to do, before I try it?

I'm not sure what "max sectors" means, but my player is 8GB, and I'd like to be able to access all of that 8GB. (Sorry if I've miss-translated the meaning of that)

Eddie
Edmundajw
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby pch.shot » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:08 pm

A new Ultimate will probably be here my the end of April or early may with the Jaunty kernel. If you can wait that long, that's what I would suggest. You can try that how to but don't expect it to work unless you are familiar with Linux. A lot of how tos are for very specific situations and may not apply to yours. If I had a player like yours, I personally would give it a try because I hate waiting. It's up to you.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Edmundajw » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:25 pm

Ok, thanks.

But it doesn't seem to like the term "max_sectors". What would the equivalent be in Ubuntu. (I assume in Ubuntu it must be different to what ever OS the person who wrote this how-to was using.)

Thanks

Eddie
Edmundajw
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby pch.shot » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:52 pm

Google max_sectors intrepid and see what you get.
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Edmundajw » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:02 am

Ok, there is a max_sectors. I've found that when I plug my Player in for about 5 seconds it shows on the screen connected. At the same time in devices there is an sdb and sdc. So, getting the timing right I try to issue the command, but it says permission denied. I typed su to log in as root, but, I've no idea what the password is... I tried the one I created for my account, which I made in setup, but that didn't work, I didn't get the option to set a root password in setup. So I've tried various things, like not putting in a password atall, pass, password, etc, but to no avail. So is there a default root password? Because it don't see any other way of logging in as root.

Thanks

Eddie
Edmundajw
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Cell » Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Instead of using su use sudo.
You can type lsusb in a terminal and see if its recognized.

and frankly if one doesn't know how to set up a pass for the root user, one shouldn't be trying to log into as su..........but you can do it under users and groups.
-------------------------------
hardware
--------------------------------
Dfi lanparty ut rdx200cf-dr
amd athlon 64 fx55 oc 2.9
2xvisiontek x1600xt gamers ed.
3 gig kingston hyperx mem
hauppauge win tv go tuner
pinnacle ultimate hd hybrid usb tuner
1 western hd 100 gig drive
1 western hd 160 gig drive
1 western hd 5 gig drive
1 usb hd 150 gig
1 usb hd 1 terabyte
--------------------
OS/Distros
--------------------
PhatDebian 1.0
StonerEdition 2.0
Ultimate Edition 2.4 Gamer Ed.
Mythbuntu 9.10
windows XP MCE remastered with Nlite
Windows 7 remastered with Vlight
----------------------------------------------------------
We are all connected;
To each other, biologically
To the earth, chemically
To the rest of the universe atomically-deGrasse Tyson
Cell
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 1.8 Gamers

Postby pch.shot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 am

Just log in as root and do what you like:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2763
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Edmundajw » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:45 am

The problem was that I didn't know what the root password was at all, I'd never set one. But anyway I rebooted in single user mode and changed the root password from there. Then I logged back in as me and logged in as root in a terminal. From there I tried "echo 64 > /sys/block/sdc/device/max_sectors" (I think), but I can't remember how it didn't work somehow. (I did this with just the right timing as my player only is connected for about 6 seconds, in which time a sdb and sdc exists, so when I plug in the player, I type the command but usually it just says device is not found, but I do it a few more times straight after untill it does something.)
So anyway, even when the device was there I tried it and it didn't work. So, with the right timing I did "chmod +w /sys/block/sdc/device/max_sectors" in an attempt to make it writeable. So I tried lowering the max_sectors again for sdb and sdc and got no errors. After this I realised that, whereas normally my mp4 player would say connected for only about 6 seconds and then go to battery charging, it was staying on connected, also in /dev sdb and sdc were there. However I couldn't mount them anywhere or cd into them. But I did notice in 'Computer' (graphical), there were two USB devices. (The MP4 player had been plugged in for at least a few minutes at this point so was definitely doing a lot better than before).(Oh, by the way, there are two drives because my MP4 player has a firmware partition, and a main partition for putting my files on.) So I double clicked on each of these two devices in 'Computer' and and it came up with something like 'no medium', so I couldn't go any further. So in then end as there was nothing else to do I unplugged the player. When I plugged it back in again, it was once again only connecting for about 6 seconds before going to charging. I tried the max_sectors thing again, and although I didn't get any errors, I couldn't re-create what happened before...

So I assume it was sort of beginning to work before (maybe), but I can't get it to get that far again...

Do any people who are experts have anything they can say about this?

Thanks

Eddie
Edmundajw
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby pch.shot » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:52 pm

It is probably a bug with Intrepid. If it works briefly then it means it is trying to recognize it but is not loading the correct driver. See if you can find a Linux driver for it. I have 2 cameras and a printer that just don't work at all(all usb). Another command is modprobe. Ubuntu will not recognize a floppy drive so you have to type sudo modprobe floppy and then add an entry in your /etc/modules file for floppy so that it loads at boot time.
You may have to do something similar for your device. The command for it is beyond me but this should steer you in the right direction. The driver may well be part of the kernel or you may have to compile it yourself.
ndiswrapper is another tool that may work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NdisWrapper
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God