Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Slow CD ripping

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.1

Slow CD ripping

Postby rjb3353 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:42 pm

Hello All,

Is DMA activated by default for your CD and DVD drives in Ultimate Edition 2.1 x86_64? I tried to rip some cd's today and was extremely slow. If DMA is not set by default then what config file needs editing and what should I put in it.
Thanks,
Robert
rjb3353
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Re: Slow CD ripping

Postby rjb3353 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:31 pm

Hello,
Thanks for your help, unfortunately I have bigger fish to fry than if I have DMA or not. Last night with no warning my cordless keyboard stopped working and I simply thought that it was because it had simply lost its connection. However when I restarted my system it hung on the reboot, and I just had a black screen. I hit the space bar and was presented by some output on a terminal window telling me that the X windows config file was messed up. some how it had gotten corrupted. I have not had the time to trouble shoot it yet, I plan on doing that after I finish writing this post. I think what the message was saying that there was no reference to any video driver in the file. No NVIDIA and not even the vanilla NV driver. I am trying to decide the easiest way to edit the file. The only non X text editor I know anything about is Emacs and I do not think it is installed yet. so If I decide to do everything from the terminal I will have to install that first. As soon as I get this taken care of I will try your suggested fixes. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks,
Robert B
rjb3353
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Re: Slow CD ripping

Postby pch.shot » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:48 pm

Reboot and when you get to the kernel choice hit Esc. Then add VGA=769 which will load the vesa driver so you can get a desktop. Go to hardware drivers and install the suggested driver. Hit Ctrl Alt F1 to get a terminal. Type sudo nvida-xconfig. This should add the correct lines for your card in xorg.conf Hit Ctrl Alt F7 to star gdm again. You may have to hit Ctrl Alt Backspace to load the driver and then Ctrl Alt F7. These are the correct things to do but it has bee so long I'm not sure of the order anymore.
Nano can edit xorg.conf. It is quirky to use but you may end having to edit your xorg.conf manually.
The command is sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf. You cannot do this from a desktop so you need to stop gdm(Ctrl Alt F1).
Hope this helps you out!!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God