Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

unmet file dependencies using apt-get install

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.1

Re: unmet file dependencies using apt-get install

Postby nesnfsn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm

strider5236 wrote:You should run that command in the dir of the deb that you will apply those permissions to. ;)
Sorry, I was not completely clear. I understand that I will run dpkg -i <filename.deb> in the directory in which i place the *.deb files.

My question actually is, does it matter what directory should I place the *.deb files in before running the command, or will the command place the resulting files in the appropriate directories without any further action on my part?????
Hackintosh OS X 10.7.2 / (WAS) Ultimate Edition 2.9 x64 (ON HOLD for 3.1/3.2)
Asus P6T, 6GB DDR3 RAM / PowerColor HD6850 Fanless GPU / Intel i7 930 CPU
1 500GB Seagate SATA-II HDD, 1 WD 2 TB Green SATA-II HDD
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby stanca » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:35 pm

Why don't you use the gdebi package installer or you are converting tarballs?If that so I guess the command will do it for you.
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby nesnfsn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

For what purpose and why? I am still fairly new when it comes to linux, and do not know what that is (I will google after finishing this reply), why i would use it, and for what reason.

I am attempting to install some files that I could not install on my system with apt-get install prior to creating an htpc with mythtv. Had everything running fine, but as usual, had to go an format hard drive and install new OS - Ultimate Edition 2.1 64 bit. I guess its the only way I learn, is by breaking things, and then figuring out how to fix them (with the help of others, like in this forum), before the wife gets my attention that the computer is not working properly so that she can watch her shows (guess we all know who has the real power in our lives).

Please elaborate on what you had in mind by asking why I do not use gdebi package installer. Got on a rant. Sorry.
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby stanca » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:26 pm

nesnfsn wrote:For what purpose and why? I am still fairly new when it comes to linux, and do not know what that is (I will google after finishing this reply), why i would use it, and for what reason.

I am attempting to install some files that I could not install on my system with apt-get install prior to creating an htpc with mythtv. Had everything running fine, but as usual, had to go an format hard drive and install new OS - Ultimate Edition 2.1 64 bit. I guess its the only way I learn, is by breaking things, and then figuring out how to fix them (with the help of others, like in this forum), before the wife gets my attention that the computer is not working properly so that she can watch her shows (guess we all know who has the real power in our lives).

Please elaborate on what you had in mind by asking why I do not use gdebi package installer. Got on a rant. Sorry.

Gdebi is included in Ultimate Edition by default and install automatic deb files just by double-clicking on them.In any case right-click a deb file and chose open with gdebi package installer.
Screenshot.png
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby nesnfsn » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks for everyone's efforts. I have given up on getting MythTV to work with UE2.1x64 at the moment using source files directly from MythTv's svn repositories. Went back to UE2.0x64, no problems whatsoever and no unmet dependencies.

Guess that there are some changes to UE2.1x64 with kernel 2.6.27-12 that do not jive with my MythTV installation steps, that have no issues whatsoever with UE2.0x64, which uses 2.6.27-7, 2.6.27-9 and now 2.6.27-11 kernels (updates recently installed -9 and -11 versions of the kernel).

Will wait for 9.04 version of Ultimate Edition before I travel down this path again, as I do not want to mess up my MythTV box. Paraphrasing that song from the 80's, "I want my MythTV."
nesnfsn
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.1