Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

upgrade

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.1

Re: upgrade

Postby slingshotsuicide » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:26 pm

What about the defaultly installed simple backup/restore config with it's default config? system>administration>simple backup config?
I'm asking, and have no experience doing it that way, but it's the path I'm currently on any expected issues with using it for an upgrade?
Default included:
/var/
/home/
/usr/local
/etc/
Default not included:
/proc/
/sys/
/var/cache/
/tmp/
/dev/
/var/tmp/
The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It is functioning 100% effectively @ 50% capacity. It is approximately 75% efficient. I suggest fitting a lid of some sort.
Mine: MSI L725
Intel M740 1.73GH
nVidia Go 6600
2GB
160G pata Seagate
Intel ProWireless2200
Hers: HP dv 6000
AMD
3G
250Gb
Vista Office 2k7Ultimate (forced to play nice together with Blackboard OMFG!! Thank Moz for Firefox Don't f&*%ing ask)
Ours
HP C6280 Networked
Linksys WRT110
slingshotsuicide
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TexasMike » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:47 am

slingshotsuicide wrote:What about the defaultly installed simple backup/restore config with it's default config? system>administration>simple backup config?
I'm asking, and have no experience doing it that way, but it's the path I'm currently on any expected issues with using it for an upgrade?
Default included:
/var/
/home/
/usr/local
/etc/
Default not included:
/proc/
/sys/
/var/cache/
/tmp/
/dev/
/var/tmp/

slingshotsuicide,
Using the Backup/Restore function is a good idea for backing up parts of an install or the entire installation. However, I do not see this being a good way to keep your existing configurations, except using it to backup/restore your /home/your-user-name folder. Note: System>Administration>Simple Backup Config is the configuration tool for "Simple Backup/Restore Suite" - the actual backup application, and NOT for backing up your configurations. The configurations for each application you have installed, are generally stored in your /home/your-user-name/ folder. The actual applications you have added or installed since your new install are not included in your home folder; they are throughout the system, for all practicle purposes. If you are installing a newer release of Ultimate Edition and wish to easliy re-install all your apps, read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2773 for an easy method to insure you get all those apps installed into your new Ultimate Edition installation.
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby slingshotsuicide » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:40 pm

Thanx for the reply Mike. Even as I posted it, I was starting to second guess my question. As I went through the list of in/excluded folders, I started thinking that it might actually cause as many problems as it solved. I checked the link you posted, and will probably only add my current sources.list to what's listed there so I have a reference to hand edit the new one. I got some stuff I don't want to re-install anyhow. Got the file from Synaptic already, about to check if I can edit that to save some time later too, if not, that's life. <BREW>
The glass is neither half empty nor half full. It is functioning 100% effectively @ 50% capacity. It is approximately 75% efficient. I suggest fitting a lid of some sort.
Mine: MSI L725
Intel M740 1.73GH
nVidia Go 6600
2GB
160G pata Seagate
Intel ProWireless2200
Hers: HP dv 6000
AMD
3G
250Gb
Vista Office 2k7Ultimate (forced to play nice together with Blackboard OMFG!! Thank Moz for Firefox Don't f&*%ing ask)
Ours
HP C6280 Networked
Linksys WRT110
slingshotsuicide
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.1