Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Programs and things for Smartphones

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Programs and things for Smartphones

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:57 am

Not sure if is a good place to post right here and if is not, by all means move it! Well, as you all know got this LG34C smartphone and am going to do my very best to take great advantage of all programs and things available to it. For starters, have taken a little time since a day ago to get this Linux installer going. Yes, I am dying to see Ubuntu 13.10 on my phone. Is novel, I suppose but have enough room as bought the 32gb microSD. Of course, am going to have loads of music on it also as I first stated. Still, in the process of converting those files as to save space, so will leave that part alone at present.

So, for starters I want to ask if anyone else has tried the linux installer for Android. If not, a short synopsis is that is on the order of Vbox in the fact you still leave Android in tact, but can then boot to Linux. I found this a unique principle and task when I first bought that cheap short lived tablet of mine. Of course, I did not get anywhere with it as kept turning me down. Now, I have, but have yet to get GUI out of it. I have just done some updates and am also installing Gnome. Hey, no one will answer my question on Gnome looks so it looks like I will get the answer I want myself. Of course that is not the focus at all yet. The focus is the unique idea of being able to run Ubuntu on this small device.

I am sure some will think it is an insane idea, but for me is more fun than any game I could ever download. Systems and programs are my fun and enjoyment. As said a few times, sure will play a game here and there, but I definitely spend more time on programs and systems. To make things short, I figure many people on this forum have programs and things they enjoy on their smartphones to make things easier for them. I am hoping all those will share so some of us amateur smartphone users as myself will get great insight and learn some things. I will also do, when time permits, add what I learn so it helps others out there. So, feel free to add some great things for all of us and will thank you for that right now.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Programs and things for Smartphones

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:28 am

Figured would drop a quick note that I did get the Linux installer working with a small ubuntu 13.10 on my smartphone. Also a side not in case anyone might have confusion as I did about the VNC viewer mentioned that is needed to use for this excursion. Please make sure you download the android-vnc-viewer as the former plain VNC viewer on Google Play will not work for this Linux on Android deal. Of course at present, even after installing all kinds of crap for Gnome to work, not happening! Hopefully, something will get that going soon, but not counting on it. At present, LXDE does work on there but does not have many things on there at all so is more/less a show piece. Even if it had about say 10 things in the menu, would look more interesting, but thus far is pretty pathetic. Maybe, not the most suitable thing one will do on their smartphone. Still, I have been curious. If I hate, eventually will just delete everything involved with it. For now have to check it out. When something else happens, will let everyone know.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:52 pm

For anyone that may be reading these posts unsure if I am heading in the right direction with this Linux on Android bit but am still at it. I have been hopeful someone would write back about any experiences with this program, to see what can be done.Presently, am really unsure of all the effects when one uses the terminal to add things to this image??? Are these additions going inside the image? Or are they going somewhere detrimental that can eventually brick the phone???? I will say and admit am a bit greedy for knowledge on this. Smartphones are very amazing and the thought of being able to deploy a full blown Linux armf system on them would be awesome!

My original experience with this Linux on Android seemed like a toy, just a minimal set of graphical interface to an LXDE desktop that is pretty well a dummy. When I state this, is meant as sure the desktop is there but nothing at all can be done with it. So, I am asking the question "Can it all be functional?" Say maybe I can open a browser or for a less functional thing maybe create a folder or explore folders? Not looking to have full blown Ubuntu on here, but maybe something that just shows someone how one of these systems functions and looks. The Linux on Android image that I have has no real options at all. So, if you are looking at doing any of this, I am working with it all and let you know the results. I am looking to get a Gnome desktop going and thus far has been a lot of hours of installations. So more to follow and please anyone that has had experience let me know.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:13 am

To truly run native on it you will need to root, bootstrap, and install the image. Even then something like Gnome will most likely run like total crap. Otherwise it is Emulate and even more so will run horribly, if it even runs. The best operating system for your device is AOS. It would be better to get a modified AOS image. ROM. Probably one without bloat. I am pretty sure I said all this before. <BREW>

Maybe not, it is a timing thing, it was illegal for a few months there. It is legal again, root away,

As far as brick...brick doesn't mean you will kill your device, there are ways to unbrick. In all honesty though, it is like a rite of passage with these things. Like you must brick to learn or something, and this doesn't mean it will be unbricked. I have bricked many times. My RAZR bricked today..but I am sure it is battery. But I did get stuck at the bootloader screen trying to recover. Who knows? I am more concerned about my ppsspp Disgaea 2 Save File :lol:

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 am

Did root and bootstrap. Basically, I thought the program Linux on Android was on the order of Virtualbox and am coming to find out is far from the truth. Is a big charade as the image does not even contain a kernel??? I was totally amazed, and to be truthful I feel like a complete idiot. Started out with a small ubuntu image for this program that only contained LXDE desktop. Sure got to the desktop and besides menu having almost nothing have the bottom taskbar and nothing really functions. Least on Virtualbox one can see how things work for an OS. On this supposed virtualization program is far from the truth should actually be considered nothing more than a game, just as many other games on Google Play.

If I was looking to get real serious and start swapping images, yes would go your route in a heartbeat. Being totally honest am wimpy when it comes to a SmartPhone that is activated and usable. Remember, I originally planned to not activate it and very unfortunately, those plans were trashed. Of course still have a ways to go before I get to that, but imagine I would just get another cheapie like this one and do it so do not loose a lot of cash if it fails. Right now would mean a loss of $45 for Straight Talk minutes and $30 for the purchase of Smartphone. Little too much to loose at this point, that is the reason figured could fiddle daddle with that supposed virtual program which is baloney. Is also why am asking if anyone here has messed with it???

If not, maybe I have been helpful to shy people away from doing something stupid like I did. I mean, imagine I have built about 6 of these Ubuntu's and I failed to check for a kernel first???? Damn, you talk about feeling stupid, I am there. Really happy you responded Xan, as seems you are the swiftest here with these SmartPhones. Believe me, they are now holding my attention incredibly more than ever. Am pretty much abandoning some other adventures to spend more time learning all this. Kit Kat is a decent OS and works well on here. Of course I hate screen lock so is always disabled. Either I have to get new fingers or that swiping bit on there does not work well???? Every time I swipe is a hit or miss with adding widgets or the screen I want. So to stop that crap, I just disable the lock. Have nothing to hide so why do it anyway. As long as the screen does not feel heat, should not open any windows so am good that way too. So really, I do like Kit Kat very much, but have to admit I am curious about the other images available too. Just can not stop the adventurer in me.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:56 am

It is a RAM issue most likely. How much memory does your phone have here. I don't mean SD or allotted memory for the device, I mean the memory dedicated to RAM.

For example...On my PI I have 512. Just because I have the system on a 32 GB SD won't matter. If I am not running a native ARM system then I am float, and I am taking extra steps to run 386 on ARM so it will be less efficient.

This gets interesting sometimes...

Say I want to run a GBA emulator, then I am basically running something built for ARM on a 386 that was not built for ARM. It would be more ideal to run the GBA natively than to run an emulate through a 386 setup.

Personally I have never ran a Linux emulate on an Android with any efficiency whatsoever. Damn Small Linux even will barely move on my Tablet. If I got some higher end hardware I could probably pull it off, but then I would definitely just re-image if that were my goal.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 am

But what I am saying here, now if these are real images for any Linux OS they should contain a kernel, right??? Just for the hell of it, I am also trying the 13.10 large image, that was supposed to contain the KDE desktop. So, far loaded it and absolutely no desktop and giving malarkey about no q-dbus. So for any kind of image to be a real one, I have always understood as having to have a functioning kernel and dbus has to be functional also, correct??? So, presently am debunking this whole program since have once again hit apt-get install linux on the terminal in this supposed emulation. I will bet it is as factious as Star Trek? To be honest not exactly sure how much ram is in this unit, but processor is decent being a 2-core. Least is at the point where is good enough to learn from. Last tablet was on the lame side but what can you expect for such a low price.

Am going to hang on a few here and see what happens as to let you know the exact wording I get. I have been curious if this cheap emulator/virtualization is trying to effect any changes to the unit itself??? If that is the case, what we have here is something people should avoid at all costs since it will damage your phone/tablet. Most likely though, I suspect even being rooted there would not be a way to change the original kernel in the unit, unless you go through more steps than this. Least have read that. Of course, since am no expert(far from it) I am not positive of this assumption. Have no intention as said to replace current system, just curious about virtualizing a Ubuntu OS on here, just to show people I have run into that are curious how they look and function. So figured, maybe if I get something neat happening like maybe showing a LXDE, KDE or Gnome desktop with decent sized menu and menial programs. Maybe be able to open some folders, use gedit, but nothing major! So far what have seen is less worthy of games that are playable on these devices

One of the messages getting in this terminal at present is invalid context system. So this is showing me I am correct. Still this time battery is fully charged and going to let it go through this entire process to see the effect. I am very stubborn when it comes to finding an answer and know you are very aware of that. Here we go, now we know this is a disaster area. First we have warning can not read table of mounted file systems. Next we have warning root device does not exist. So basically, this is not an OS by any means and is out to modify the OS inside the phone. In case I am wrong still continuing. HMM, now I guess I could be wrong??? I hit enter and am looking at linux image and headers being set up??? This has me curious as last night did not have enough power in phone and I could not get this to happen. Be back in a bit with more.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

So as stated last time, any functional desktop will suffice. Not greedy here, just last time I saw LXDE come up on that small image and figured, has a kernel so will try installing Gnome. Get through all the nitty gritty spending hours to only find out there was no kernel. Of course that is last few posts, now onto this.

So, I said am trying the supposed large Ubuntu 13.10 image for this Linux On Android. Download size is around 500mbs. Downloaded it onto my phone. I did not extract the image onto my phone since I did not want to install another program. I used the computer to get the image extracted as we all know I have more programs than can shake a fist at. So, I then put the image on the 32gb microSD card and proceeded to try it out.

I come up with no KDE desktop. So, I go to the terminal and try apt-get remove KDE only to find out the answer KDE is really not installed???? So for the size of 4gbs I now have this whatever can call it, with a kernel installed. So, I hit apt-get install LXDE, as said not greedy if I can get any kind of desktop running that actually shows any Linux functions, I will be happy.

So far looks as if whatever is being done may be going into this large image that had nothing, least nothing I can see that resembles an OS. This is very amazing but am not getting my hopes up whatsoever. Maybe, I am old-fashioned in my belief a Linux OS should have a kernel/headers and should work out of the box. Am saying when I load an image it should run. This one at 4gbs of space is just stealing space since there is not function. Even after installing a kernel/headers, an LXDE desktop and other small necessities there is no graphical display whatsoever so I formally label this program as complete trash and waste of time. Avoid it and save time for programs and things that honestly work.

Should add, maybe the program is good, but both images I have(small and large Ubuntu 13.10) are not worth a diddle. Now as I progress in all this, I may do my best to build my own image and try that. Of course, since is nice out and loads of things to do, I do not see that happening in the near future. Have read about a dual boot scenario and some other things, but once again goes on the back burner. Since I am erring out with initramfs-tools leads me to believe this is also going outside of the image to the android OS itself. I have not intention of destroying that OS as it does function correctly. So is another reason to abandon ship as is moving beyond my intentions. The program is really called Linux Complete Installer, so all you people thinking about it read all have said. I spent 2 days for nothing, so do not want to see someone else go down that same road and possibly get themselves in real trouble.
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves