Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Google Chrome updated and Gone!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Google Chrome updated and Gone!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 am

Xan closed off a little segment just as I was going to ask another question. Can't blame him as I do get annoying at points!!! Anyway, I had Google Chrome going on this 13.10, it worked, although hardly used it. Chromium had a problem when I first installed, most likely due to Pipelight. Now, it updated a few days ago and runs just fine. Yesterday, Google Chrome updated and it did not fair well at all!!! In fact, a click on it and it just does not even come up!!!! So, I tried to find the command line to just open it up that way as will find out what the problem is. Have had no luck finding it. So if someone knows the command line to open it up let me know so I can get to bottom of it! Will highly appreciate that!

In the meantime, I think am going to use Opera Next for a bit! Am liking a few facts about it as it is very simple to use and set bookmarks up. At first did not realize was on the left side when you click on Opera Next! Now I see that will be enjoying it for a bit as it holds a few more passwords, Firefox will not! So will gain a few minutes when it comes to that Jet stuff!!! Uh Oh! Just as I typed this last part, I know see Software Updater want to update Chromium! I hope this update will not loose it! As have said, I enjoy different browsers for different tasks. To me they all have their purposes!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Google Chrome updated and Gone!

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:32 pm

I cut it off because I felt it was getting confusing. It didn't help that I titled thread as Chromium either. I fixed that. I also moved comment to a new section..Pipelight, for 2 reasons.

1. I am not going to test anything on 14.04 and release publicly since the information could become irrelevant within the hour.

2. I was going offtopic in response anyways.

Keep in mind this confusion is spreading even here. Now you have a titled thread Google Chrome updated and gone, and are asking where Chromium is...
:?

Sooo..here we go

Technically I can put whatever wherever..but if we are looking we should look here, this is on U.E 3.5 but not really, since it was certainly upgraded and purged
usr/bin

Chromium is also the name of a game, I am not sure if this affected anything and am certainly doing no research but to pull from terminal,
chromium-browser
googlygook2.png

If we have Chrome installed as I do on this particular system we must use these commands to pull from terminal, this is for regular and unstable
google-chrome
google-chrome-unstable
googlygook1.png

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:06 pm

Oh Yeahhh..Opera

Last I was aware Linux and Opera weren't so compatible. A shame, I really liked Opera and it was my go to for an easy plugin fix when experimenting with Debian bases like SID. Opera always worked especially with the OZ forum when Blackwolf was going a little crazy on the effects.

I am still not aware of a Linux Opera Next so let's see here...

Opera Next has no Linux version that I can find....
operasuckssohard.png

So I will just have to resign myself to the hilarity that it is only available for Windows, meanwhile there is a picture of a Mac Book Pro right next to it..moving on, how about dev?
operaissooooolaaaaaame.png

and further research yields a closing
"Opera for Linux is not something for the near future"
http://linux-beta.slashdot.org/story/14 ... ra-browser

and whatever who cares good riddance to bad rubbish

We are Linux users. The Internet is our realm. We can certainly live without Opera.

Yes you can still use Opera but might as well install quicktime and get Internet Explorer going while you're at it.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:42 pm

Here's the output I got for Google Chrome:

Code: Select all
bob@bob-System-Product-Name:~$ google-chrome
[13701:13701:0318/192052:ERROR:process_singleton_linux.cc(390)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[13701:13701:0318/192052:ERROR:process_singleton_linux.cc(236)] readlink(/home/bob/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[13701:13701:0318/192052:ERROR:process_singleton_linux.cc(236)] readlink(/home/bob/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock) failed: Permission denied
[13701:13701:0318/192052:ERROR:process_singleton_linux.cc(260)] Failed to create /home/bob/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock: Permission denied
[13701:13701:0318/192052:ERROR:process_singleton_linux.cc(390)] readlink failed: Permission denied
[13701:13701:0318/192052:ERROR:chrome_browser_main.cc(1211)] Failed to create a ProcessSingleton for your profile directory. This means that running multiple instances would start multiple browser processes rather than opening a new window in the existing process. Aborting now to avoid profile corruption.
bob@bob-System-Product-Name:~$

Is sounding like it wants to be connected with Chromium which is insane! Ah, something not quite right on this one! Few fixes for the dual boot with Windows laptop drive and works just fine! Opera Next is on Linux and of course used Repo Gen to get that one. Not so great on updating that one. Installs and guess am left on my own after that! Still, you know if a browser works, why should it constantly update, right???? Now look at the brick, Konqueror, do you see that thing updating???? Nope, and I call it the brick cause is solid! It never dumps, just might take a few seconds longer to get there is all!

Sure Mozilla Firefox it updates, but you better believe when it updates it works! Should have seen through that months ago, when I was using Ultimate! Is no wonder TheeMahn leaves it being the Master browser since it does everything that it is supposed to do! Chromium and Google Chrome not always the case! On this one Chromium is just fine and other also. On laptop, Google Chrome does not want to get into settings since it will conflict with the Chromium browser! Maybe one day, Google will realize some of us crazies like to have all the browsers and then compensate for the both, just as Opera does! Where did I learn about Opera???? Where else than here! Good ole Micro, you know he put it in his OS and I saw how nice it ran and finally got it in this build of mine!

I know I get off the wall at points, but is in the sake of learning! You're ahead of me in many of these aspects, so you already know many things! I have to explore and learn as to get better with things. Is a continual thing!!! Anyway enough of rambling have to post this pic with it as to prove am on Opera Next.
Attachments
Opera Next Ultimate forum.png
Opera Next Ultimate Forum
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:26 am

Shot in the dark but maybe try deleting /home/bob/.config/google-chrome/SingletonLock

If unsure you can delete the entire google-chrome folder in .config

As for Next

I get that you can use Next but
operanextsux.png

Do you notice something odd here?
operasuckssohard1.png

and if you continue having issues with Google Chrome you could try using the developer build, it even is using a new graphical stack called Aura that bypasses Gtk somewhat.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=9768
In the link if you click on the version that corresponds with your system it will provide you with a .deb.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 am

Thanks Xan!!! It worked is back up and running. Had to delete Chrome folder there was nothing at all inside! Also forgot to thank you for the original answer!!! I get so used to typing in chromium-browser for installing or repairing, I thought was chrome-browser! Opera Next as I say, what I did was just go to http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/ and select Opera, there is beta under that and of course did not select that! I was very careful on this build, I was shooting for perfection with it and to be honest have come fairly close!!! As I say, every system to date has black/blue screened on this computer. Now that is gone! Once in a while these ASUS motherboards have a little gliche with them! Mine comes out on USB. How Linux has beat this gliche, I do not have a clue! I suspect has something to do with a newer utility designed to work with usb called udev.

Well, to me is a life saver! Is a drag when you are typing and all of a sudden, black screen! Windows did the same except we all know screen is blue instead! Both my wife's computer and mine are the same, but fortunately she got the one with zero problems! Now 90% of all systems ever installed on this computer were great systems, so I will never blame any of those as was a hardware issue no one knew how to compensate for until now! Of course this post is nothing to do with that so will drop that fact! Am happy to have all browsers back up! So owe you a great deal of thanks on that! You have experience and more time in this than I do so is awesome you are around to help and really appreciate it, big time!!!!

Back to Google Chrome now! So I opened it up signed in then get a page come up with this: Your "Ant.com Antmarks Extension" is now installed. Is a trip and do like the clicking on the star bit! Just noticed also have that star on Opera Next. Still Google Chrome and Chromium have to admit are beautiful looking browsers, least they take on system theme colors really nice! You know how I am when it comes to that!!! I guess we all have an "Achilles Heel" and mine will always be theming! Also have learned my lesson with source.list! Always insure the original sites are in there. Do not just fill with what repogen gives! Big mistake have made for the past 3 builds, which was fixed in this version!

Anyway, is going to be great to have use of Google Chrome and Chromium as I like both browsers. Was about time, I put them both together have been avoiding it also for all builds have done to date! OS is still a heavyweight coming in at 3.8gb's. Just can't seem to make them lower and carry all the dependencies! Once again, thanks very much for your help is awesome to have people that know what they are doing!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves