Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Force Version and Lock!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Force Version and Lock!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:43 pm

Am liking Synaptic package manager even more! I have opted against updating any of this KDE stuff have going in my OS! I should have not blamed it on KDE is as is actually Unbuntu Repos hassle! Any way in case someone runs into the hassle as I did am documenting to help! Simply go into Synaptic Package Manager and go under upgradeable. Next click on the upper heading Package and scroll down to Force Version. There is a drop down list just as in Gnome Tweak where you can keep it at current version. After you force your original version, you then have to go back in that same menu and also lock it. If you do not next time you go to update you will have to do it all over again! Now am not recommending this for everything!!!! This is just for those of us like myself that have a minimal amount of programs and do not want to loose them! From last post you can read all the comments and see I only had a total of 100 files! Now if I would choose to upgrade, I would then be updated to 15 files and the rest go down the toilet! A situation as such is rough and takes days to get out of, so this is simply a quick cheat to avoid loosing days and time! Just hope this helps for anyone in a similar situation. Just happy to bring this to folks that may need it!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Force Version and Lock!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:41 pm

Of course it does not lock out the command line option off apt-get dist-upgrade. Now if someone knows how to lock that out would be kind of you to mention it as would be invaluable to me and many others on here! Sorry for not mentioning this in previous post, slipped my mind! I do not want to mess anyone up just hoping to help is all I ever do! Those who are much wiser and Linux Knowledgeable I respectfully ask for some input on all this as to help resolve this situation once and for all!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:49 pm

Easy, disable your sources. Either through updater or etc/apt..throw some # around, guaranteed to stop those pesky upgrades...

Could also just not dist-upgrade

IDK man!

I'm going to have to say..anyone reading this should mayyyyyybe not follow these instructions in any way shape or form.

I think I have a fix for your KDE dilemma, but it is buried deep in the Diamond KDE vault on OZ, and it was Ryanvade who afforded me the solution, I will search when I get home.

I still don't understand all this love for KDE applications but not understanding that they are not Gnome applications and therefore will need KDE dependencies but I digress..

If you want to force it is far easier to..for example, if I am installing K3B by force..
Code: Select all
apt-get install k3b -f

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 pm

I should have stuck with my own advice! I decided maybe I can fix this junk, yeah right! Here's the reply with your idea after apt-get dist-upgrade:

root@bob-System-Product-Name:/# apt-get install k3b -f
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
k3b : Depends: kde-runtime but it is not going to be installed
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main amd64 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_main_binary-amd64_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/dl.google.com_linux_chrome_deb_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages)
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
root@bob-System-Product-Name:/#

I can run apt-get update til the day I die and this damned thing will not get the new versions of programs I need is stuck in its own ways! I even downloaded all the deb and I can't even install them!!!! Am screwed again! Here's input on that. Am really loosing it for Ubuntu!
dpkg: error processing /tmp/*.deb (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
Errors were encountered while processing:

I spent an hour and a half getting all these debs to install and is worthless crap! Just refuses to install and leaves me with a toasted distro! Will bet even the Pope would be pissed on this one! For some reason no matter what I do I can only ever access half of the update and not all happens every time!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Go into etc/apt/sources and comment out one of these..(#)
 http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable/main

Install kde-runtime

This too will have dependencies.

As far as your brokenness, try these..

sudo apt-get install --fix-broken

sudo apt-get autoclean

sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get -f install

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:22 pm

aaaaaand if you really reallllly wanted to..though I never ever recommend it, like software center and synaptic you just should not use buuuut

instead of
apt-get
you can

aptitude

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Me, I am getting a bad aptitude on all this or is it attitude????? Seriously have used aptitude does not dump whatever bogus repo is killing me with old junk! So I am having loads of fun trying to replace things by deb. Have to love the ole command "dpkg -i *.deb works but you know these desktops are lovely as they simply have to have millions of files just for a few programs to work! To be more precise and real is somewhere in the range of 100-200 files! If it were not for K3B and K9 would probably not even worry about all this! I also do enjoy some other utilities. Shame Gnome just can not have a counterpart!

I should not really just bitch about KDE as the same has also happened even on Gnome! Ubuntu has repositories made out of toast or trash, whatever you want to call it??? So, I get stung every time I do this! I want this system nice and really ticks me off that all those lousy outdated files got in there to mess it all up and send it off to the junkpile! Not sure if I will get it tonight but am on it for a while! Been messing with aptitude for awhile now as really does work well on a functioning system. When is in the process under Ubuntu-Builder is another story, not 100% reliable! Nothing is with it, but til I figure a better way to keep track of 4000 and up files, will keep using it! Small OS would just do command line but my systems are always monsters, just too many expectations these days! Hard for me to keep track of all these dependencies. Can never figure how TheeMahn can do that!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:09 am

I know you are trying to help Xxjoker and appreciate, but believe me this goes way and I mean way way beyond what you are thinking about! Half of the OS wants to go with new files other half refuses, why????, do not know am no genius! Is a real problem, not some minor inconsistency, is something more in the league for someone with experience such as TheeMahn. I have decent knowledge on things, but this requires someone with a good 5 or 6 years in building. You have to remember to this point I have built and run 3 OS's, so I think I know something, right?

Please and I sincerely mean it, DO NOT take any offense at what I am writing here!!!! Am just trying to explain is a very very complex situation!!!! I appreciate all advice to resolve this thing. I have also sent a email to creator of Ubuntu-Builder(UB). He also has log files. I know TheeMahn would never use UB but reason I do is the complexity of these OS's I build! There are several desktops and all kinds of programs. In all there is over 4000 files to keep track of. I have not been able to get synaptic going without using UB! If I was would stop using UB and do by script! Synaptic gives me the chance to examine file versions. This is extremely important as to avoid conflicts! To use regular command-line to show files would not give the exact file version, would only state the file name! That never helps in resolving an issue.

The files that have been in conflict are for example 4.11.3.0 and what is really needed is 4.11.5.0. Does not sound like is way off, but believe me with Linux is about the same difference as saying I am going to California and it turns out you went to Brazil!!!! It's just a huge difference and it causes severe problems with updates!!! Every one of these systems has given me hassles as Ubuntu is constantly changing!!!!

Forgot to mention as you and Xan stated about simply installing the program I needed. Now, remember dependencies! Next Dependencies have Dependencies and those have dependencies!!!! So for all this and just to have basically about 20 programs from KDE, the number of files is somewhere around 120! So basically comes out to 6 files per program! Loads of fun all this! Need a vacation or something after this one is done!!!! Ah, I know will just do some themes!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 am

;p didn't forget..
i said..install kde-runtime
This too will have dependencies

I'm trying to get this all sorted out on mine, because I have no idea what has been integrated, haven't paid enough attention in past couple months..not a bike at all
http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.12.2.php

I think I'm making pretty good progress though...
redstar.png
redstar1.png
redstar2.png

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:12 pm

Is like this first you have one dependecy. Then that dependecy has 3, then those 3 have 5 and so on! Am not bs'ing!!!! Is terrible with these systems and is not just KDE it is Linux period! I went through this on Gnome and everywhere else! Just blows my mind on this! Have some things to take care of today so will return to that hassle tomorrow. Also sent a reply to Francesco Muriana for issue I reported last night for Ubuntu-Builder. Hoping he may also have some insight for me. Is absolutely insane!!!! I mean, I just wish the entire OS would focus on current versions of programs and files instead of be half and half!!! So this is the entire issue that is nailing me! If the entire OS would focus on current files, all would be great and awesome! Mix and match might work with clothes and other things, but we all know it just does not work when it comes to mixing old and new files!!!!! Just a drag as I really thought this OS was going to be great and now am having severe doubts!

Can you imagine installing 120 debs by command-line???? Oh it sure is a trip to watch all those files poppin away when you hit "dpkg -i *.deb". I will bet that is why these developers leave a zillion pieces so they can show their girlfriends, wives or whoever how magical it is to watch all those files moving around like that!!!! Me, I would be much happier if I was just able to install the 20 programs I want and be done!!!!! Joys of Linux have to have a thousand files for each program!!!! Fun never seems to end! Current jobs are sort of like that! So have to wait til later to answer. Back to work!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Rants and Raves