Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Thankful for Problems????

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Thankful for Problems????

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:47 am

Some people are going to look at that sentence and think for sure I have flipped! No, I have not. Now if I went ahead and assembled an OS and all went perfectly, would I learn anything???? Number one, if it worked perfectly it would have to mean I had done it several times and know exactly what to do at each point to reach that plateau! Now since I have only messed with 3 OS's of my own that is not the case by far! I have basically had nothing but problems when it comes to assembling these OS's. Of course if it were not for these problems, I would not learn a single thing! From the problems I had with first system, I compensated onto the 2nd system which ran quite well minus some missing parts for about 6months! Since I had saved all my notes of the problems encountered on the install of the 2nd OS, I was able to effect some decent repairs on it. Now, I would not have attempted to repair that OS had I not experienced some problems with the 3rd OS's assembly. At the time of the problems, I thought they were way above my knowledge. So, I went onto effect repairs to the 2nd OS to make it usable on install.

Yesterday, I did that install on the laptop with the drive containing Windows 7. All went very well and system runs as well as can be. Is not perfect but then again what is? Does the job pretty well, so am happy with the outcome. I also have to take into account is running on a dual-core processor and to do that system justice does require 4! 3rd system and its proposed cures is running quite well on the 2 hard drive. Had to pull it yesterday to install 2nd system on a dual boot with Windows 7. Was disappointing as the 3rd OS runs quite well and effectively on all desktops. This time KDE does not turn me down for tasks! What I thought were major problems with that OS turned out not to be so for that am very grateful. Also for those that may be experiencing problems building their own systems, I may be able to offer some assistance here and there since have been through many issues so far. You know me, am very happy to help, so all these problems have given me a lot of insight into systems. So will hang in the background, and if something comes up will be there!

For now am going to lay kind of low, have some more fixes for 3rd OS to complete. I want that system up and running on this computer within the following weeks which means a lot of testing and working the system. Very time consuming and also the fact am still out of work and looking. Love being a part of this forum, but have to do what I have to do! Once again congratulations goes to TheeMahn and everyone here for getting me this far and for all the hard work you do here! Take care and will be back with 3rd running as it was designed to run! Until I have totally worked out glib-2.0/schemas will no longer post an information as not to misinform anyone. Rest assured the cure for cinnamon screensaver works correctly. In fact is on the laptop now as I write this!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Thankful for Problems????

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:36 pm

I'm excited you have taken the time to learn, there is a ton involved in building an Operating System. I don't want to scare you away, but changes happen between releases ie 12.04 to 12.10 were massive and I do mean a ton of bugs introduced. Taking the leap has taught me a bunch, yes I too learn, it also makes me angry when I see a bug that was already fixed re-introduced. I too have a wip.txt file (over 10000 lines long) I annote and reference.

When I built Ultimate Edition 4.0 based on 13.10. I was happy to see many many of the bugs gone only to see new ones introduced. I could not load a thumbdrive without gtk-usb-creator crashing. I said O.K. we will use Unetbootin, crash. Wow!!! An issue with USB? Wrote my own thumb drive maker dubbed currently "thumbos", runs through the terminal and problems were resolved for me. I do not expect the end user to have to resort to such measures & will have to look deep into the root of that problem.

Glib injection is quite scary, I concur. A simple missing quotation or > and the entire O/S is ruined in the drop of that one command. If you ever would like to release one of your Linux incarnations. I would be more then happy to host it for you.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Is a total honor to get an awesome reply as such. Now number 2, not so sure on it. Sure runs decent but it scares me as I made so many errors on the assembly. This number 3 is a doosy, been blowing my mind with the usage of svg's and quite ugly ones at that the swirly white on a blue windows type background? Well, I ousted it! I came up with a strange sort of super-imposed picture for Cinnamon. You know how it wants to go to usr/share/themes/Adwaita/backgrounds, well I just changed those pics down to 2 and you can see the result in Virtualbox. Jumped for joy on the pics Xan listed as were perfect size and candidates to pull this off! Dconf-editor is close to fully functional, command line brings it up, but in Sundry does not appear. Spending many hours on this 3rd. Basic assembly went very well, but had to regress from Gnome 3.10 to 3.8 as parts did not match up! So in the mix, dconf-editor took the fall! Not a terrible price to pay as could have been much worse. I have a long way to go on all this, but as you, I absolutely love building! I would love to get my hands on 13.10, as know usually by the last part of the year bugs are worked out! Saw the same with 12.10. That first one I put together went together very well, but of course only had Gnome and Cinnamon so was no big challenge! Updating number 2 as I made it in April, caused me to loose KDE so was bummed on that, seemed no matter what I did there was issues. Still, when I originally put it together I was too quick to hit the apt-get autoremove. I did not pay attention so well at all! Had a great trick for Cinnamon's screensaver, but apparently on the load it knocks it out! Had it all set for the lock to be shut off and xscreensaver to take over. So back to the drawing board on that. System is also mostly URW Chancery L Bold Italic and fonts all colorized. Me and my colored text, love it, but not sure if would offend others seeing it on boot or shutdown? When I finish it would love to upload it to you as bet would get a charge out a few things! Bet with your touch would smoke! You are the master of this, I am just doing my best to make one work even half as great as yours! Believe me, if I had cable, you better believe one of yours would be installed! Verizon hit me hard with last bill! Do not even want to say it as still unemployed and the ole lady had to pay it and is highly ticked at me! If can get somewhere to upload it when finished would be an honor for you to take a look at it and tell me what you think! Anyway here is a pic from vbox, was talking about. More work to go on this will get there and soon I hope!!!
Attachments
superimposed_cinnamon.png
Cinnamon_superimposed
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:39 pm

The above Cinnamon effect only showed on Virtualbox on the ailing 2nd Version of 2nd OS I created! Virtualbox is not always 100% accurate in showing exactly how an OS will run, as have said hardware has a lot to do with the realities of how a system will work. After repairing the 2nd OS further, I find I am still not totally updated with all files and issues still exist. I was hoping the above effect would be present on install, but was not! Tests done in Virtualbox showed the system working better than it does realistically. As I feel it would probably take me a good month to totally fix that system, it looks as though the 3rd one is the way to go. Of course some tests in Virtualbox showed it as not ready, but on the laptop is doing quite well! Added proposed fixes to it for the svg's and looks pretty nice. Just so far no fix for KDE background. Oh how I hate that swirlee! Such a shame to see such ugliness in a system with such great beauty and action! Of course I mean Linux systems as a whole. Am not defining my OS as has work to be done to it! As I continually say am no pro, just someone who is trying my hardest to learn the most I can. When I learn more I can help others and that I will do whenever I feel the information I can provide will help! Of course, tonight am going to take a huge gamble! Now the 3rd one I have waiting is not entirely the same as the 3rd in the laptop. There are striking similarities but a few differences remain. Am not 100% sure it will do as well as the laptop or even better! Of course this is the fun of it all! I kind of feel like Leif Erickson, would not say Christopher Columbus as he was more refined and sure of himself! So have to go with the Viking, conqueror explorer type! Of course as have used many Linux OS's that were disasters, am fairly sure this one will not be in the same category, but of course will definitely fall way way short of Ultimate! Still, with this connection there is no choice, so have to do what I have to do! Will be back to tell how it is!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:17 pm

This system is huge! 4.3 gigs of system that does run nice and pretty smooth. Wish I would have switched to it yesterday, but me thinking since I had some poor test results in VBOX that is was just not ready! What a joke! I am now going to take my advice back about what checks out in VBOX should be alright! Why? I tested the daylights out of number 2 OS and it was showing it had what it took. Well it did not!!! One crash message sent to Ubuntu showed I still had outdated parts, not just a few but many. So was a poor scenario trying to make new parts work with old ones, cause was just too many error messages. Sure I had a few with this one, but a couple gdm's and presto no more hassles! No pro at this in the least, so yes am not going to know every single piece of software out there and all its dependencies. So, will bet you are wondering if the superimposed pic for Cinnamon worked, right???? Take a look below for that answer, is very stunning as it combines 2 of the 3 pictures that were set to make it. Those pictures are located in usr/share/themes/Adwaita/backgrounds. If you can find 3 similar pictures this effect will happen leaving you with a much more stunning background than most desktops can dream of doing. Not going to cut down those XBOX makers, cause we all know they got their hands full making commercials! Also be advised with the time format I am using can cause clashes with the system so I do not advise doing this! I just figured I had the room would look nice as, you just can not get that to happen on Gnome 3.8 way way too many files to change for it to work! Anyway am grinning as fighting with this system for over a month has finally proved to be a worthwhile thing! Learned many things from this adventure and also apologize for some poor advice I have given to builders. GtkOrphan is something that one has to be very and I mean very careful with. I do not advise using it if you are just starting out building. In fact, I will probably wait til 10th build or close to it, to venture into that area again! Made some crucial mistakes. Fortunately, I had saved the image that I made before the one installed in the laptop. So, was a little back tracking, but made it! Was a good thing though too, as was before the mistakes I made! Now this is why we use large hard drives so we can save each image every step of the way!!!! Also for those presetting Cinnamon in their builds, the update will come and just wipe it out. So far seems the trick with xscreesaver works, just the preset of locking the screen does not as update wipes it out! Anyway here is the pic and am off to pretty up the KDE desktop! Poor thing is always so ugly on the start and still have not figured how to get it looking good to start!
Attachments
Cinnamon_3jpgs_combined.png
Cinnamon_3_jpgs_combined
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:27 am

You are progressing, thats fantastic. Try to bare in mind that the failures are also progression. Each error I make, I do my best to learn from my mistakes. When I used to build a long, long time ago I used to write the file out in the following format ultimate-edition-#.#-ARC.iso overwriting my previous work each time. Well what if I made an error in what I was currently building? Scrap it all start over. I must have been a glutten for punishment. I built that way for a long time. One day I hosed a weeks worth of work and was down to the nitty gritty of a release. I thought about gererating random numbers, but why time and date is truly the answer. Visualization of when the O/S was built. There goes the hard disk space ;) Keep cramming in more and more hard drives. I am so thankful we have fantastic people willing to contribute to further develop Ultimate Edition. There is no way I could afford 14+ Terabytes of space & the rocketship of a PC, I too am currently unemployed.

I have buddies that are quite jealous of my PC, what do they say? Can you imagine playing a Video Game on Glenn's rig? What a waste of Silicone ;) I don't even have Windows installed. Honestly do not have time for games. I'm constantly busy; websites, programming and O/S development. My e-mail is absolutely rediculus & pretty close to abandoning checking it. I am positive I have lost many of a good job by not checking it. The only time I shutdown is the weekends to spend time with the better half. I have for the most part quit drinking, something I thought would never happen. I may on rare occasion drink a 6 on Saturday playing card games with Poweruser, his wife & the better half. A break greatly needed & well deserved. At the time I am typing this I believe I have been sitting in front of this PC nothing short of 24 hours straight, thank you Java & not the language. By the same token, I have cranked out a ton of code, but am aproaching the shutdown stage.

Sorry for dwindling off subject, my concentration is pretty much shot. I am thankful I have pretty much been left alone, with no-one to disrupt my programming. Funny how that works, interupted a few times & makes me feel like the whole day is wasted. Loss of train of thought. Today Slap on a pair of headphones and shove out the world. Amazing the amount can be accomplished using this method. I can assure you does not happen every day. I am gonna have to get off here, always a pleasure to view your advancments.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am

Thank you, Thank you!!!! TheeMahn you brought me out of the dumps! Been bummed about not being employed and thinking I am totally to blame! Here you are the most brilliant developer on this planet, people should be banging on your door and never have to even look for employment and your out???? Society has surely gone downhill on the employment scene!!! Never the less, with that said is awesome to have you even consider my work as viable considering how much more advanced and intelligent you are!!! Can not thank you enough on that part! I had one dumb thought on this OS, what a folly! I thought since I had dconf-tools that might have been mismatched, wrong version I stupidly thought of purging it at first! Now, I finally realized what that step created was it would purge the following components gnome, gdm and gnome-core, which is one hellish nightmare since you would then have to replenish aptitude and wouldn't you know I forgot that command! Least where I had it stashed on the drive! Found it the other day, of course after I got to this point!!!!

Of course since I had kept the ISO where this folly comes in, just go right back to that point and I simply removed dconf-tools leaving the others hang, did a re-install and presto back on the menu with all intact! Now some would be satisfied, sigh and say bye, bye am done! Not me, I found another image I had stuff away from the second OS I made and was also right before a blunder! So, you got it am going to mess with it see what happens and what can be done for it! You better believe am going to follow your armh build! Am quite curious on that and know eventually will have to get into that!!!! There is no possible way I can ever thank you for all this adventure!!! I have honestly never had more fun in my life! I never realized what an adventure this all was until you started the "Build with me" post! I mean since I first pushed the power button on a computer, I was curious how an OS works, and now to be building them? Is very exciting! My ole lady thinks I am crazy at points spending as much time. Still will not walk away from Windows 7 and her system is hanging on by a thread! Right now it only prints yellow! Personally am surprise I kept hers running so long! Told her once the system goes will run my OS on it, use Wine for some old games she has and put Windows 7 vdi I have on it and am sure she would have the best of both worlds!

Of course I have told her time and time again if I was still at school where I could easily download Ultimate, I would have the newest waiting for her! As well as I have this OS going, I know your systems are like brick walls! Have to blast at that OS with Nuclear warheads to bring it down!!!! Is what I miss most about Ultimate! I do not care what you do to that OS, it just keeps running!!!! So I deeply thank you for having such a great goal to reach for! For me these days left the drinking behind back in 2006, but you can not stop me from loading my large mug with 2 12oz cans of Coke and chipped ice! For some reason feels loads better than the drinking days!!!! Especially when the ole lady has some of the awesome baked cookies she makes!!! Of course, I had my drinking days and boy did I abuse them! Am surprise my liver is not a black piece of coal as I sure did indulge highly in Brandy! For years I just drank beer, but by my 30's beer no longer phased me, so I moved on to brandy! For about 7-8 years I contained myself quite well would take me a full weekend Friday thru Sunday afternoon to finish a 5th. After that was a disaster and lucky I have a great woman that put up with it!!!!!Also lucky she puts up with all the hours I spend doing all this!!!!

Is awesome to have friends to get together with enjoy a few games. Miss those days and God rest those 2 merry souls that I used to enjoy playing Dungeons and Dragons with! I do not think I would have ever indulged in that kind of game so highly if it were not for how those people handled things! Dungeons and Dragons is a fantasy role playing game that some simple-minded people sometimes take for real! For me was a great challenge as I enjoy using my mind to figure things out! So, I just hope you treasure these times with your friends and never take them for granted! I never did and will always have the fondest memories of those days!!!!Also always hope you have the most enjoyable times as you deserve it for making so so many people happy!!!! You better believe I take these failures as progression! Main reason I started this post!!! Things go smooth, you never have to worry about the what if! When the what if happens, you get stronger in your decisions and go on to improve!!! So you know I will keep pushing! Sure I have games on here, but do I really indulge??? Not really! I just make sure they work and then go onto the next project! Once again, always best wishes to you TheeMahn!!!! Also everyone here, because this is what life is really meant to be!!!! No better place than here ever!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Rants and Raves