Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

True Linux success story

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

True Linux success story

Postby deate » Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:10 pm

Several weeks back, a friend called for help with his Xp Dell desktop... it had completely stopped doing anything...seems that after the last visit from the grandkids, he couldn't even check his e-mail..I told him I could put an OS on that we could fix if they were indeed able to mess it up, but it wouldn't be Windows...he said go for it, as I'm tired of having to take this in 4 or 5 times a year to get a computer tech to fix it to the tune of $150 to $250. I pointed out , that at that rate, he would have been better off just buying a new computer every time it quit working...when he did the math, and agreed, we installed Ultimate Edition 1.9...
A few hours ago, he called and wanted me to come over , his daughter had some questions...
The conversation started something like this...Where is Microsoft Word?? I took it off..You took off Microsoft word? Yep, and Windows also..it's now Linux...Why would you do that? Because the computer was so bogged down with spyware, virus, and trojans it wouldn't work... Well, we need Microsoft Word for the kids to use... Really, well, this has Open Office...basically the same as Word, you can even save documents in the Word format if you want to...Yeah, I saw that...but it's not Microsoft Word.... You're right, it's not, so what can't you do with this Open Office Program, that you can do with Word??? Well, I don't know, I haven't tried it...Well, I tell you what, when you've tried it, and you find something you can't do, that you are used to doing with Word, you call me back, and I'll find another free application that will do the job...
Next conversation: Well, look, the kids have a CD with games that won't work on this computer now...Yeah, those are designed for use with Windows, I noticed that you and your husband both brought Apple laptops...Have you tried their discs in your laptops???? (Snicker,snicker,snicker under my breath!) WELL, that disc won't work in OUR laptops because they're Apple....Really? Well this desktop is now Linux, and it won't work in this one either...bummer dude...(snicker, snicker, snicker)
Morale of the story, Grandpas' desktop survives...I'm the bad guy,and no-one is out cash...Hey, I don't have to live with her...Grandpa is kind-of liking this Linux thing!!!!!
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Re: True Linux success story

Postby ixnod » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:32 pm

nice one Deate!! did you inform them of all the open sourced games ( Some of which are quite educational) that Kids can acquire and enjoy till they get An aneurysm. now have them save said $250.00 per anum and put into something worthwhile.
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby deate » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:04 pm

ixnod wrote:nice one Deate!! did you inform them of all the open sourced games ( Some of which are quite educational) that Kids can acquire and enjoy till they get An aneurysm. now have them save said $250.00 per anum and put into something worthwhile.

I was going to mention the games, but got so much attitude, I must have forgot (snicker!) the true point is that it's not their computer, and if my friend doesn't have to take it to the shop, I've served my purpose :D
deate
Site Admin

Postby ixnod » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:43 pm

Ahh well... I guess you are not contributing to the economy :( now some poor up and comming IT lad will have to explain to his children that supper will be scarce and that he will have to resort to a life of crime and take a side job as a collections agent from home.
Desktop:
1.5 Tb external Hd
ixnod
Site Admin

Postby pch.shot » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:52 pm

Microsoft Word is one of the biggest pieces of crap they ever created. I use it to do labels and that's it. If I want to write a letter I use Abiword or notepad(simplicity). The only good thing Microsoft ever came up with is Excel. It is actually useful and reasonably easy to learn.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby red_team316 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:38 am

deate wrote:
ixnod wrote:nice one Deate!! did you inform them of all the open sourced games ( Some of which are quite educational) that Kids can acquire and enjoy till they get An aneurysm. now have them save said $250.00 per anum and put into something worthwhile.

I was going to mention the games, but got so much attitude, I must have forgot (snicker!) the true point is that it's not their computer, and if my friend doesn't have to take it to the shop, I've served my purpose :D

Exactly, you made Gramps happy and that was the gaol. Mission Accomplished......at least until the Kids learn about virtualization or (GASP!) sudo or su.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby ixnod » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 am

red_team316 wrote:
deate wrote:

Exactly, you made Gramps happy and that was the gaol. Mission Accomplished......at least until the Kids learn about virtualization or (GASP!) sudo or su.

Giving a kid su / sudo, is like giving a caveman a macinegun and keys to the alien mothership. ( drive by @ warp speed)
Desktop:
1.5 Tb external Hd
ixnod
Site Admin

Postby deate » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:53 am

ixnod:
Giving a kid su / sudo, is like giving a caveman a macinegun and keys to the alien mothership. ( drive by @ warp speed)

There are a few things I've learned since starting to use Linux (not nearly enough though :lol: )and that's don't give away the keys to the "kingdom" Even "Gramps" doesn't have the admin password, for his own safety!This way, I know they can't ever do anything to the system that can't be undone...I did, however, inscribe the password on the inside side cover of the tower, incase of my untimely demise! And I told them(him) never allow anyone access to this unless I was gone :lol: :lol:
deate
Site Admin

Postby pch.shot » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:51 am

You are a very wise man, Deate.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God