Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

striders rants

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Re: striders rants

Postby stanca » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 pm

I think Canonical ltd is in a so hurry to release new editions of Ubuntu,maybe in a to straight competition with the other linux distros and windows too,and these new releases hardly suffer from many bugs more and more this way. It became already a continuous beta testing version almost like windows vista.
I also noticed that the newer kernels,begining with 2.6.27 version,are more lacking in hardware support.
For my system the best kernel version was the 2.6.24.When I was runing Ultimate Edition 1.8 64bits on my computer everything was just perfectly working,even I was being a total ignorant newbie. :twisted:
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby LeadFingers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:45 pm

That's what happens when any company gets to a certain size and the management becomes career oriented. The 1st thing that goes, is the sense of belonging to a community, a family if you will, where you know each others limitations and don't mind occasionally picking up the slack for others. The 2nd thing to go is motivational factor. If you don't have the sense of belonging to something that makes you feel good about showing up each day, it becomes just another thankless job or mindless drudge, and why should I work any harder today when tomorrow it will be the same old $hit becomes the mentality. When any group of individuals changes their agenda from product orientation (where the perfection of the end product is #1) to goal orientation (meet the deadline no matter how bad the work is) the product suffers, the end consumer suffers, and as a result the company suffers or goes down in a ball of flames. Yes it can be said that Ubuntu is making serious head way into support for new technology, but if that push forward is costing stability to the end user in other areas, it's not being implemented properly and will end up causing them problems. Who cares about their damn release schedule! If it worked in the last release, it should work in the new release, plus have a few new goodies, otherwise I'm not going to use the newest anymore. My father had a saying "If you don't have time to make it work right the first time, what makes you think you'll have time to fix it later? I think this applies here. Fire the public relations department, hire a few more developers, and don't release it till it's fixed. It would seem to be obvious.
I have to shake my head in disbelief... If TheeMahn can fix several of their problems, and he's just one Mahn, why can't a whole team of developers fix them.

Did bill Gates acquire Ubuntu and we didn't get the memo?
Or did his top executive team hire on with Ubuntu when he sold M$?
Cause it's starting to look a lot like Linux's best chance at becoming mainstream, has turned into another M$ subsidiarity without the gaming support. All that's missing is the Service patches.
At this rate, expect to see Dells being sold with Ubuntu product key stickers on the side of the computers, in the near future.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby stanca » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Your father is a very wise man. ;)
Intel H61 ASrock H61M-VS Motherboard,
Cpu Intel Ci3 13-2100 3.10Ghz 64bit 3MB Box,
RAM 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Elixir,
Palit Nvidia Geforce 210 1GB DDR3 PCI-E.
Dual-boot Ultimate Edition 3.4 x86_64/Windows 8 x64.
Linux user # 492560.
"This is Linux land!In silent nights you can hear Windows machines rebooting!..."
http://www.youtube.com/user/laur1969 http://stanca-ultimateeditionromania.blogspot.com/#

stanca
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ixnod » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 pm

I don't have anything actually intellectual or interesting to add, other than I am beginning to agree with you on a few issues. Cannonical's release schedule is a tad over the top so far as having updated kernels and all. My thing is, that if Thee can pump out Ultimate Edition mere weeks after a major release and have it tweaked out buttoned down and running smooth as silk from live disk to install and beyond then what in Billy Bob's name are those people doing? they have developers and programmers and alphas. we only have a developer/programer director
a few programmers some alphas that know their $H!T !! and us betas that are still ( thank goodness) in touch with the community.

Being a beta I'll admit has its advantages of course. We get near bleeding edge and quit stable, occasionally we nick are selves but the healing process is usually quick but we move on to bigger and better things. We get to poke prod fold spindle and mutilate stuff in the process. So that the end user can point, click Sudo Apt get and pretty much go without fear that something deep inside has been made unhappy and will begin to stage a revolt and vote the user off the computer.

Its bad enough that most linux/buntu converts are Leary of the command line but, if we didn't have SUDO to tell the computer we really meant what we typed.and with cannonical heading in the direction that they are at this point and time in a few years I would presume that they would attempt to go publicly traded in an attempt to gain market share to finance their beast.I can see a potential corporate entity forgetting why and for whom they were originally geared to cater to. Now I am not by any means saying that cannonical will be another Microsoft or a wannabee Microsoft but the the guiding principles will begin to degrade within time, its simply just the nature of the beast. For that, I applaud Thee for his efforts and dedication.
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby tuxsax » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:01 pm

I started to feel this change in Cannonical's aim about a year ago, and yes, the beginning was really "ubuntu" but I guess their success blinded them and they've forgot what "ubuntu" means. Their slogan says it "Linux for human beings" taken from the word ubuntu which means humanity. Very nice ideals behind the project, so why forgetting this beautiful principals and start acting like a Profit Corporate? we already hav etow competitors in this field, let them kick each other, stay aside, keep out of it, make what you know best, a great linux distro, and why so many versions? where are they running to?
I mean, I spent 5 years with the same WinXP, all I did was reinstall from time to time, add/remove software as needed, applied patches and fixes, service packs. But I had the same version for 5 years!
I'd be very happy if I had a great version of Linux every year maximum, but I want this version to be totally maintained, not half of the developers start immediately working on the next release. Relax, take 6 months to let the version run, fix the bugs that pops out, add some features, patches, etc, and just then start working on a new version, you don't make it to the dead line? then knock off the dead line thing, it will get released when it's ready, I'm sure everyone is very keen to see a new version of any OS, but if you give them the options to get a new OS full of new goodies, or an OS that is robust and stable, I think we all will prefer stability and bug free OS rather than just "nice and full of bugs, err features" OS. Am I wrong?
U.E. Master

Postby red_team316 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:40 am

I agree with the fact that a deadline should not be finalized in an unfinished state, but consider this. Canonical releases an LTS release every 3 years. Their LTS release is aimed at focusing on stability. If you look at compared to Microsoft or Apple, the timelines are somewhat similar. Each release up till the next LTS release should be considered unstable. Things are changing all the time and new tech is coming out pretty fast.

Hell, fedora is just as bad as ubuntu if you want to talk bleeding edge. I've got fedora 10 installed on one of my partitions and I really hate that it bluescreens(well not blue but you get the point) at random. I suspect that it has to do with their implementation of the vesa driver. Whats even worse is that installing the known correct driver for my graphics card leaves the system in an unbootable state! Seriously, you can't even login via console.
Core i7 920(working on a decent OC), x58 ASUS P6T Deluxe V2, 6GB DDR3 1600, EVGA 8800GTS512, Silencer 750W PSU, CoolerMaster V8, Red Antec900
red_team316
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Postby tuxsax » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:32 am

As I said, if that was the situation, I could be very happy with a new bleeding edge stable and robust like an oak system only every 3 years, it will be anyway much better than M$ that does it every few years but their new OS is ALWAYS still green, even after 3 or 4 years of working on it. They're working on WinFS for over 5 years!! how hard can be to make it work???
Another thing that drives me crazy, Leadfingers mentioned it, is the fact things that worked before, start acting weird on the next update, an example, have anyone of you had problems lately with network manager?
In one of the last system updates the network manager was updated, since then, I can't edit anything with the nm-gui, all the options are greyed out and it don't even ask me for a password to gain access to admin for "unlock".
The problem is, I had static settings and it reverted it to DHCP, I couldn't understand why I can't reach my computer from outside through port forwarding I have set. SO I've found the problem and changed network settings on the command line, after network restart or reboot, the settings are back to DHCP, so I did a trick I've found on some forum that tells network manager not to manage the network, so you can manage it by hand, but the bastard keeps emptying my /etc/resolv.conf, so from time to time I need to get back to edit it and put my dns servers again. What I did? I totally removed network-manager and all related stuff! for @$#! sake!!!
It works? why the @$#! you touch it???
U.E. Master

Postby bpollen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:53 am

WinVista advertises itself (Mojave my gluteus maximus!) by touting the fact that it contains a program to make panoramic pictures out of multiple photos... As if that type of program weren't available for free via Linux or even WinXP. Kinda like "This car is faster because it has racing stripes!"

Ubuntu seems to be falling into that same trap. Go for the flash and try to clean up the results later. They supposedly are planning to make system notifications much more graphic-and-resource intensive for no discernible benefit other than "sex-appeal."

I would rather have an ugly clunker that starts every day in the winter (an issue here in Minnesota) than a "Malibu Barbie Hummer"'....
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Postby pch.shot » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:36 pm

All operating systems have their advantages and disadvantages. The only thing we can do is just deal with it the best way we can. Ubuntu is not perfect but it is the best one out there right now for modern hardware. Eventually things get sorted out. I think Ubuntu's problem is they are getting too complicated and trying too hard to make things user friendly.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby LeadFingers » Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:51 pm

If intrepid has support for the 9600 GT but not Hardy, I guess I could understand, since it's a fairly new piece of hardware. If it's the other way around, That's nutso.
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Next

Return to Rants and Raves