Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Sweet!

Love it, hate it drop posts here
Forum rules
Comments or opinions expressed on this forum are those of their respective contributors only. The views expressed on this forum do not necessarily represent the views of Ultimate Edition, its management or employees. Ultimate Edition is not responsible for, and disclaims any and all liability for the content of comments written by contributors to the forum.

Sweet!

Postby TBABill » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:09 pm

I have jumped from a few distros recently, some not because of any issues but because I just wanted more to play with. Others were because of distinct issues with the distro performance itself. I've now got my Debian Squeeze desktop, Debian testing laptop, LMDE laptop and Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 laptop. Yeah, I could have just as easily gone with 2.7, 2.8 or 2.9, but I am assuming Ultimate Edition 2.6 has the same stability Ubuntu 10.04 has.

Anyway, it's been a couple days since I installed it and I am still having fun. It's as fast as my Debian install and more fun and interesting to look at than even my LMDE desktop. I'm truly impressed. The selection of apps is astounding, compiz is working beautifully and not at all slowing the desktop as it does in other distros, proprietary wireless was a breeze and not a single glitch yet. I ran 10.04 for quite some time so I expected the stability that is obviously present, but with so much added on to the distro I wasn't sure what my experience would be. 2 days later....perfect experience so far.

I wanted pretty, fast, interesting, stable and newer apps. That's a VERY difficult combination to achieve and few distros hit all those marks. Ultimate Edition hit them all right on the head. Great job to all involved and my sincere condolences to TheeMahn, family and friends. Such losses are so incredibly difficult, but turning out the amount of work on OE while dealing with life's difficulties is above and beyond. Kudos!!
TBABill
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Re: Sweet!

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:30 pm

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience with Ultimate Edition. There is so much more you can also do with Ultimate Edition , should you find the want or need. Ultimate Edition 2.6 can use what ever kernel you like. Use this Tutorial , http://screenshotsfrlinux.freeforums.org/how-to-update-debian-kernel-to-2-6-38-2-candera-ati-nvidia-t258.html.

We hope you continue to enjoy your Ultimate Edition experience. Let us know if you have any further questions.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby TBABill » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:41 pm

Thank you! Since I have a Broadcom BCM4312 should I be wary of the upgrade since it states the Broadcom STA is touchy with the new kernel? Speed isn't an issue and 2.6.35 is already in the repos. I used 2.6.38 on LMDE and all I noted in terms of performance was lower heat. The desktop wasn't significantly different from what I could tell, but I didn't run benchmarks to confirm.

Appreciate the heads up on kernel updates. I'll hold off till I know for sure the wireless won't be an issue since I need the STA driver (my BCM4312 version is not supported by the b43).

Thanks again.
TBABill
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.8 64 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:46 pm

yes broadcom has issues. Worked out in Natty, but for now we wait for natty to finalize so Ultimate Edition 3.0 can finalize.

That said, broudcom is a tricky one, I have 2 laptops with the broadcom wireless 43** series cards. One works native in with kernel 2.6.38.2 and the other didn't. Facts are, you wont know till you try lol.

If speed and performance, as well as fully working hardware isn't an issue. Then don't worry about it.

My self, not one of my systems will run on Ultimate Edition 2.6. or 2.7 Kernel updates were mandatory for my systems to all work.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Return to Rants and Raves