Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Older dude needs help.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.0

Re: Older dude needs help.

Postby LeadFingers » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:57 am

Thank you for posting that. I'm sure many others will benefit from it.
I'm going to copy it to my HD so I don't have to look for it next time someone asks. :D
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby RoadWarrior » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:45 am

Thanks.

I am very happy that I am able to contribute here. I have received patient assistance and I need more :). Linux is nice but it is a pretty tough learning curve for the uninitiated.

You commented in another post re: ATI drivers vs Nvidia. Nvidia installs in Windows are historically easier to manage than ATI. ATI drivers tend to be larger than Nvidia. A few years ago they were harder to upgrade as they were tough to unintsall unless you were aware of the issue and ensured the uninstall covered the drivers as well as the catalyst suite. Nvidia drivers usually were simple to uninstall and load the new one.

The ATI driver I got for 64 bit Linux is about 75 MB just for the driver. It comes in a set of files and runs as a batch file/installer - not just a small driver file.

I will put some info here re: the differences for the user between ATI and Nvidia cards. Video cards are not created equal. Most of the time Nvidia and ATI have competing cards but never are they ever equal. Until this past year ATI suffered as Nvidia was producing fast cards that ran cool while ATI cards tended to be hot.

ATI has always, in my opinion, outclassed Nvidia in picture quality across the boards. But Nvidia has offered generally better bang for the buck and has usually dominated in the raw speed category for gamers. The focus, it seems, from Nvidia has been in raw power in the lower and mid range resolutions. ATI has focused on best picture quality and minimal performance hits in the upper resolutions. ATI has usually been more expensive. Until this past year.

The ATI 3000 series cards came out and ran cool and were smokin fast and not so expensive. I have an ATI 3870 right now. It replaced (and stomped on) my Nvidia 7950GT KO edition. They sell cheap - like less than $150. The performance is right between the 4850 and 4870. (these 4000 series cards run a bit hot). I feel it's the best buy on a card at the moment and I won't even look at Nvidia when I can get ATI quality picture at that speed for such a modest price. The difference in picture quality is evident. Even in the higher end Nvidia cards, the picture is less crisp, more muddied in color separation while the ATI screen will look crisper and much better color separations.

I got off my track but I have made a study here and wanted to share what I know.
RoadWarrior
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pch.shot » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:35 pm

It sounds like you are well on your way!! That is a very useful post and probably should be moved and approved for the how to section.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby LeadFingers » Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:34 pm

Funny how the world changes when you're running Linux.
While your observations of ATI ~vs~ Nvidia may be true in the Windows world, the balance is a little skewed in the Linux world. The sad thing is... it has nothing to do with card quality and everything to do with driver quality & support. While it's safe to say neither company has been real forthcoming with their code, Nvidia has more driver updates, better tools, easier installs, and are generally more cooperative with the Linux community at large. To date there are only 2 or 3 classes of nvidia cards that don't play well with Linux. Ati can't match that. I started out using both, but Ati was such a bear to install that I quit using it and now won't look at a Ati card much less use one. They make a great card for less $, but their attitude toward the Linux community sucks, so I won't touch them.

LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby RoadWarrior » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Ah, Leadfingers, I see your point. Hardware choices, really, is a multi-faceted subject. Technically-minded people try and match up the best hardware combo for their application. That application has many different angles and hardware costs and availability also have a place in the equation.

I have only delved into Linux these past few days. And I have learned new things each day by doing, by reading (listening) and so forth. I now have another new view to add to my arsenal of practical data.

So, basically, the bottom line in terms of picture quality is in the drivers and this is evidenced when comparing different cards in different OSes using the drivers for those respective OSes.

OK, here is another burning question: Once I have worked my copy of Ultimate Edition to my preferred tweakage, is it possible for me to archive my whole Ultimate Edition OS so that I can transfer it unscathed into my next computer build?
( I might have to re-think my video card choice now too)
RoadWarrior
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby LeadFingers » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:14 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:OK, here is another burning question: Once I have worked my copy of Ultimate Edition to my preferred tweakage, is it possible for me to archive my whole Ultimate Edition OS so that I can transfer it unscathed into my next computer build?

Yes.
A tool called Remastersys (I may have the spelling wrong)
will let you build a system the way you want, then spit out an ISO.
It should be noted that this method will prolly take as long ,if not longer, than a standard install. (for someone with bandwidth)
I can do a Complete install, add the extra repos, install ubuntu restricted extras, add the other packages I want (applications), update the system, backup xorg.conf (in case the video drivers don't take), and install my video drivers, in 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (I've also found that's the best order to do my install)
One of the downfalls of porting an OS from one box to the next, is by the time you're ready to put it in the next box, it's outdated. Most distros have several new releases each year, and the average Linux user changes their OS a couple times a year. For this reason most seasoned Linux users have /home in it's own partition, this way it can be carried over to the next install. You don't loose any data, and most of your settings will be automatically imported.

A second method would be Simple backup Config (in System/Administration)
It takes an image of your OS and stores it.
If you set it to be stored to another drive, you could do a simple install on the new box, then use the backup to restore it to the same configuration. Again, unless you have bandwidth constraints or are doing multiple installs, a fresh install is prolly quicker and definitely more up to date.

( I might have to re-think my video card choice now too)

Nothing wrong with ATI, If you like them and they work the way you want, stick with them.
Nvidia just happens to be my personal choice.
One thing I can say about Ubuntu, they are streamlining the driver install process.
Ultimate Edition 2.0 was the 1st time I installed my drivers with the Hardware Drivers. Fastest & easiest I ever did.

LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ixnod » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:33 pm

Just a quick question roadwarrior, what type of hardware do you use to connect to the internet? mobile AIRcard Wifi or Bluetooth.?
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby RoadWarrior » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:34 pm

To answer ixnod's question; I use a USB antenna to connect to wi-fi. It is from Parkervision,. This company no longer has a website so I think they are out of business now.

The antenna works in windows with or without their software. I have connected with it usng Ultimate Edition 2.0 also but it is not stable and I don't seem to be seeing much signal strength. Even when wifi radar says i am connected, Firefox says it's in offline mode. Clicking on the "work offline" checkmark makes no difference.

I also use a usb 3G air-card (not really a pcmcia card since it's usb) from Sprint. The manufacturer is Novatel wireless. I haven't tried using that on Ultimate Edition as it doesn't look supported.

Thanks Leadfingers for the tips on my next install.

Right now I am realizing how much I don't know about Linux and am studying tutorials about Linux on different sites. Back in '92 I bought a 386. I had a friend named Doug who new computers. I asked him questions every day. He directed me to a great course called "the DOS course" It took me 8 hrs to do it. It was a course on a 5.25" floppy about every DOS command with drills to practice each command. 64 lessons. Doug was the fellow who wrote the original memtest.exe program at a motherboard's bootup.

I haven't found such a course for linux but I am looking.
RoadWarrior
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby ixnod » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:12 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:I haven't found such a course for linux but I am looking.
To answer ixnod's question; I use a USB antenna to connect to wi-fi. It is from Parkervision,. This company no longer has a website so I think they are out of business now.

The antenna works in windows with or without their software. I have connected with it usng Ultimate Edition 2.0 also but it is not stable and I don't seem to be seeing much signal strength. Even when wifi radar says i am connected, Firefox says it's in offline mode. Clicking on the "work offline" checkmark makes no difference.

I also use a usb 3G air-card (not really a pcmcia card since it's usb) from Sprint. The manufacturer is Novatel wireless. I haven't tried using that on Ultimate Edition as it doesn't look supported.

Thanks Leadfingers for the tips on my next install.

Right now I am realizing how much I don't know about Linux and am studying tutorials about Linux on different sites. Back in '92 I bought a 386. I had a friend named Doug who new computers. I asked him questions every day. He directed me to a great course called "the DOS course" It took me 8 hrs to do it. It was a course on a 5.25" floppy about every DOS command with drills to practice each command. 64 lessons. Doug was the fellow who wrote the original memtest.exe program at a motherboard's bootup.

I haven't found such a course for linux but I am looking.

Well so far as a course on linux, < being all open source like and all> Have you tried googling over to "howtoforge"
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby deate » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:44 pm

sounds like you don't mind reading to learn, have a look at the wealth of information under General Discussion in the Quick links section
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.0