Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Sound issue in 2.0, look here first.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.0

Sound issue in 2.0, look here first.

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:49 pm

I have posted this in Ultimate Edition 2.0 thread, yet it is ignored, I felt a sticky would help curve problems that admin have to repost over and over.

people with sound issues... I personally hate pulse audio as well, but it is tightly integrated into the O/S, I tried to completely remove it and replace it with alsa, once pulse is removed from the system it no longer allowed me to enter the GUI. I have found a non-destructive solution, please let me know if this helps.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: Sound issue in 2.0, look here first.

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:31 am

This is not intended to take away from TheeMahns post in any way but to offer an alternative solution.

I came across a real good how to thread and thought I would share it here. It goes the other way though. Instead of trying to remove or disable pulse audio it is about setting it up to work properly.

I followed the guide and it has worked good for me while others have had some issues, most of which seem to get resolved, at least when it's PA's fault. The thread is close to 100 pages now and the OP is still trouble shooting any issues that people have. Here's the link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

What it did for me.

On the desktop Ultimate Edition 1.9 64 bit.
The stutter while surfing and listening to my tunes with Rhythmbox is either gone or a whole lot less frequent now than it was (I haven't noticed it since), and Audacious hasn't stuttered yet.

2 programs can play sound at the same time including Rhythmbox and Audacious (kinda weird playing 2 songs at the same time but it works).

Seems an added benefit is I haven't had a system freeze since completing the guide a few days ago, and it was freezing pretty frequently before then.

On the laptop Ultimate Edition 2.0 32 bit.
The equalizer sure makes a difference. Once I get it adjusted right it will be great. Trial and error for just the right sound.

Submitted in the hopes that someone finds this helpful.
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:22 pm

2hot6ft2 wrote:This is not intended to take away from TheeMahns post in any way but to offer an alternative solution.

I came across a real good how to thread and thought I would share it here. It goes the other way though. Instead of trying to remove or disable pulse audio it is about setting it up to work properly.

I followed the guide and it has worked good for me while others have had some issues, most of which seem to get resolved, at least when it's PA's fault. The thread is close to 100 pages now and the OP is still trouble shooting any issues that people have. Here's the link.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789578

What it did for me.

On the desktop Ultimate Edition 1.9 64 bit.
The stutter while surfing and listening to my tunes with Rhythmbox is either gone or a whole lot less frequent now than it was (I haven't noticed it since), and Audacious hasn't stuttered yet.

2 programs can play sound at the same time including Rhythmbox and Audacious (kinda weird playing 2 songs at the same time but it works).

Seems an added benefit is I haven't had a system freeze since completing the guide a few days ago, and it was freezing pretty frequently before then.

On the laptop Ultimate Edition 2.0 32 bit.
The equalizer sure makes a difference. Once I get it adjusted right it will be great. Trial and error for just the right sound.

Submitted in the hopes that someone finds this helpful.

I greatly appreciate your input, why because not everyone has the same hardware, you do point in a good perspective. While I think Pulseaudio is a piece of garbage (currently I have had intermittent problems with it, never with alsa), others may not have the option of alsa. I do not make those kind of big decisions, I just get caught up in the wake of the decisions they make, such as just that they are the ones that decide pulse-audio is to replace alsa (I did almost purge it from the system & put alsa back in it's place). I hope you can understand that.

I read the post, I am not saying that alsa "just works" out of the box it has every time for me & on multiple systems, I really think they made a bad choice by doing so, as a programmer; why re-create the wheel? Should I expose my users to a howto as exhaustive as that 4 or 5 pages, just to get your sound working? It perhaps should have "just worked" to begin with, that is their doing, not mine ;)

Thanks for you input and intuition,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:01 pm

I completely agree. You have enough of a workload without trying to beat on that new wheel and make it roll.

Yes it's a long how to. On the other hand Hardy does parts A and B, Intrepid does A and C, so it's really not that long the rest is just trouble shooting if there's still an issue.

When I see posts where someone is saying removing pulse audio will fix all there sound issues I let them know about your post and your insight to the problem, along with it's possible solutions. And let them decide.

Considering that many will jump on the first hint of a quick fix without searching out all the possibilities first and what the results may be. To most including myself loosing the desktop could be disastrous (I know my way around windows but not linux just yet, I'm catching on) and your warning should be taken seriously.

While I don't mind a reinstall it does take time to get everything just how I want it.

I'm looking at another post right now here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=885437 the title of which is "HOWTO: Fix all PulseAudio-related issues in 2 minutes" basically replacing pulse audio with esound.

My stutter is back on the desktop and I'm adjusting the /etc/pulse/daemon.conf file and see if that fixes it. If not I'll be following the guide you linked to myself. I figured I would try and fix it first.

Keep up the great work it is appreciated. <BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby kiwinsn » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:32 pm

Just a quick note to thank both of you...

TheeMahn - you may not remember but I had all sorts of problems with sound when I changed over, and more so when pulse was included in 2.0.

Thanks to the posts from both of you, I now have SOUND GLORIOUS 5.1 SOUND.....

I bow in the presence of greatness....

Cheers
System:
Specs to come.
Registered Linux user number: 542342
kiwinsn

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:51 pm

You're welcome.

Glad to hear you have it all set up and with surround too.

Just for the record I ended up following TheeMahns link but it is still too early to say if it fixed my stuttering issue or not. I'm starting to wonder if some of my mp3's may have become corrupted and be causing the stutter themselves. Trying them in Audacious now.
2hot6ft2

Postby pwburns » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi, I am new to Linux and have just installed 32bit Ultimate 2.0 on my machine, the install went great until Noticed that there wasn't anny sound.
I have a Audigy 2 creative card and have Ubuntu 8.04 on another partition that works great.

Can anyone tell me why Ultimate 2.0 (ubuntu 8.10) will not play any sounds?
:?:
pwburns
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:34 pm

A couple quick quotes from here might help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900

Note 1. Intrepid users: due to a bug in the ALSA libraries, your PCM mixer may occasionally become muted or reset to 0% volume. If you cannot hear sound - or hear a faint crackling - refer to Part C, Step 3.

3. Ensure that your sound card's PCM mixer is not muted or set to 0% volume (this appears to be a bug in Intrepid):

Code:

$ alsamixer -Dhw

Note: When the PulseAudio ALSA plugins are active, you must explicitly specify your hardware device in alsamixer (marked in blue above), otherwise it will open the PulseAudio mixer.

Maybe this will help.
2hot6ft2

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:06 pm

2hot6ft2 wrote:A couple quick quotes from here might help http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4928900

Note 1. Intrepid users: due to a bug in the ALSA libraries, your PCM mixer may occasionally become muted or reset to 0% volume. If you cannot hear sound - or hear a faint crackling - refer to Part C, Step 3.

3. Ensure that your sound card's PCM mixer is not muted or set to 0% volume (this appears to be a bug in Intrepid):

Code:

$ alsamixer -Dhw

Note: When the PulseAudio ALSA plugins are active, you must explicitly specify your hardware device in alsamixer (marked in blue above), otherwise it will open the PulseAudio mixer.

Maybe this will help.

Thank you for bring that up I just installed Ultimate Xmas Edition (unavailable at time of post) & my sound was also muted from the rip, what are they thinking? I will say this again I do not make the "big decisions", I just feel the waves of their repercussions. Maybe I should man up & make it all myself...

Lets be honest, I can do only so much. Writing a distro is a job in itself, writing ultamatix another job, repo management another, usplash, gdm, I can carry on I have done it all at the same time, I need a break. I am working on that (I am 1 man), what do you say my only job is writing a distro, I can do so much better if that is my only job. Or would you rather me wake up ultamatix, I am no slouch when it comes to programming, over 20 years of EXP? One job is all I ask....

Now I am going to fully be open / honest:
Screenshot.png
wrong but is what I deal with, notice the secs between, not minutes.

All that say city unknown does not drop a balloon. All but 1 rethink worse then you can see.

Please 1 job,

TheeMahn

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby pwburns » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi, I am new to Linux and have just installed 32bit Ultimate 2.0 on my machine, the install went great until Noticed that there wasn't anny sound.
I have a Audigy 2 creative card and have Ubuntu 8.04 on another partition that works great.

Can anyone tell me why Ultimate 2.0 (ubuntu 8.10) will not play any sounds?

I have tried, you sugestions but, still no sound.
I have no idea why, it sees my Audigy 2 creative card and when the system boots
I hear the speakers pop but still no sounds for anything???
Please Help
pwburns
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.0