Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Sound issue in 2.0, look here first.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 2.0

Re: Sound issue in 2.0, look here first.

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 pm

pwburns wrote:Hi, I am new to Linux and have just installed 32bit Ultimate 2.0 on my machine, the install went great until Noticed that there wasn't anny sound.
I have a Audigy 2 creative card and have Ubuntu 8.04 on another partition that works great.

Can anyone tell me why Ultimate 2.0 (ubuntu 8.10) will not play any sounds?

I have tried, you sugestions but, still no sound.
I have no idea why, it sees my Audigy 2 creative card and when the system boots
I hear the speakers pop but still no sounds for anything???
Please Help

This is the best I can do right now, but I have no way to currently read it launch pad is down:
Sorry

Launchpad is offline for scheduled maintenance. We should be back soon.

For more about Launchpad’s maintenance schedule, check Launchpad News.

Thanks for your patience.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:24 am

pwburns wrote:Hi, I am new to Linux and have just installed 32bit Ultimate 2.0 on my machine, the install went great until Noticed that there wasn't anny sound.
I have a Audigy 2 creative card and have Ubuntu 8.04 on another partition that works great.

Please Help

Do you have all the needed codecs to be able to play sound?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
if so try these maybe one will help.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=997506

And TheeMahn I hope you'll at least take some time off for the holidays and that you'll get what you asked for, that being just 1 job to keep up with.
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:27 pm

2hot6ft2 wrote:

Please Help

Do you have all the needed codecs to be able to play sound?
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
if so try these maybe one will help.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=997506

And TheeMahn I hope you'll at least take some time off for the holidays and that you'll get what you asked for, that being just 1 job to keep up with.

Thank you, Just being able to take a break is a real Xmas treat to me. Not that I have stoped... I have been working on Ultamatix 1.8.0-6 It is now distro specific, I do not mind sharing some python code:
Code: Select all
def getDistName():
   #find the distroname the user is running...
   versions = (('Ubuntu','Ubuntu'),('Mepis','Mepis'),('Debian','Debian'))
   for v in versions:
      if testOutput('lsb_release -i | grep "%s"'%v[0]):
         return v[1]
   return None
def getDistVersion():
   #find the version of the distro the user is running...
   versions = (('8.04','hardy'),('7.10','gutsy'),('8.10','intrepid'),('9.04','jaunty'),('4.0r0','4.0r0'))
   for v in versions:
      if testOutput('lsb_release -r | grep "%s"'%v[0]):
         return v[1]
   return None

I have a ton of work ahead of me here, I have not even started support for Debian or Mepis. The -7 release will pipe all info through Synaptic, the same as the update manager does this should shut up all the haters ;) Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:25 pm

Nice. I see you already included 9.04 Jaunty in the code. If I knew how to do some of the stuff you do I would be happy to help. Unfortunately you're way out of my skill set there. I'll just stick with trying to help those I can out in forums and learning a bit day by day until I get a good grasp on how it all fits together like I did with DOS, Java scripts and dare I say windows.

Learned a bit today in setting up a network between my 2 Ultimate Edition pc's. 20+ pages into 1 thread that was supposed to be great, yeah right (maybe if you could read the authors mind). :roll: A couple other how to's for a fresh look at the whole concept and I managed to get it up and running with NFS. Went back thru every setting on the pc's afterwards and I think there are a couple things that aren't really needed that I did. I'll clean those out and make sure I'm right when I'm better rested.

I know it should have only taken 15-30 minutes looking back at it now. :lol: Anyways, I'm rambling and this doesn't belong here so I'll quit and wish you and yours a very merry Christmas.

I feel better now that I vented. <BREW>
HP G60-125NR - AMD Turion X2 64 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
HP G60-121WM - AMD Sempron SI-40 - nVidia GeForce 8200M G - 128 GB SSD - Dual boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro
Custom build, Rosewill Challenger ATX Gaming Case, AMD Phenom II x4 955 C3 rev., MSI 870A-G54, 2x ATI HD4850 512MB /256bit GDDR3 & dual precision, GSkill 8GB 1600 RAM - Multi boot - Ultimate Edition, Win 10 Pro, Beta Testing
2hot6ft2

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:44 am

2hot6ft2 wrote:Nice. I see you already included 9.04 Jaunty in the code. If I knew how to do some of the stuff you do I would be happy to help. Unfortunately you're way out of my skill set there. I'll just stick with trying to help those I can out in forums and learning a bit day by day until I get a good grasp on how it all fits together like I did with DOS, Java scripts and dare I say windows.

Learned a bit today in setting up a network between my 2 Ultimate Edition pc's. 20+ pages into 1 thread that was supposed to be great, yeah right (maybe if you could read the authors mind). :roll: A couple other how to's for a fresh look at the whole concept and I managed to get it up and running with NFS. Went back thru every setting on the pc's afterwards and I think there are a couple things that aren't really needed that I did. I'll clean those out and make sure I'm right when I'm better rested.

I know it should have only taken 15-30 minutes looking back at it now. :lol: Anyways, I'm rambling and this doesn't belong here so I'll quit and wish you and yours a very merry Christmas.

I feel better now that I vented. <BREW>

Yes, I too started out raw. I wrote my first program on a VIC-20, does it even remotely know a GUI? I for 10 years wrote software for windows & gave it away free, I am tired of windows. I now feel I make a major impact in the world. Millions at a time, I do not want to seem cocky, however that is exactly as I am perceived. I do wonder if it has anything to do with my nickname? CandyMan should have been my nick ;)

Please do not be upset, I am here to educate, I have written software in windows that utilises the API, no more education there for me, yes I still learn today. All languages I learn in nix are free a great adjustment to me. Many I already knew, but all good. I am shocked that nix has not taken over, just my 2 cents.

Belated merry Xmas,

TheeMahn

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby 2hot6ft2 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:34 pm

CandyMan... :lol: That would be fitting considering the sweet distributions you keep putting out along with all the eye candy.. People gobble 'em up as fast as you can put them out too. Hope you had a great Christmas.

EDIT: It may not have taken over but with M$ chasing people away with an OS like Vista they are running to Linux in droves.
2hot6ft2

Postby greg29 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:13 am

Thanks TheeMahn, originally i used this fix from Nick.

Fix for "no sound" issue in Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)

Postby Nick on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:42 am
First, try sudo killall pulseaudio

sudo alsa force-reload

and then go to System>Preferences>Sound and change everything to ALSA.

It worked but i had to do it every time i booted into ultimate. I then saw your post (which i should of noticed) and tried it and now it works every time. I guess Nicks fixed would have worked all the time if i some how took pulse out of the sessions startup? I am reasonanably new to linux and it is nice when someone as busy as you can help us noobs learn to fix bugs. I have tried a few distros now and i always seem to come back to yours. it seems very stable and extremely customizable even for beginners. Thanks again!
acer aspire
AMD Athlon) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.43mhz
4gig ddr2 memory
32in toshiba lcd tv as monitor.
GeForce 8400 GS 512mb
320 gig sata hd with windows seven beta , one 200 gig ide hd one with ultimate edition 2.3/64bit. 1tb external hard drive.

"All the best people in life seem to like LINUX."
Steve Wozniak
greg29
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby reg_masterz » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 pm

I just have a question.I have a M-audio Audiophile 2496 - 4-In/4-Out Audio Card with MIDI and Digital I/O .I can't understand why this version of linux doesn't see it.I know that for these type of sound cards,that driver snd-1712 or ice1712 usually works.Sound works from my chip on the motherboard,I can hear this way,but I would like to use the card instead.I have another question.I have other partitions on the computer,why does 'WINE' defaults to drive C:?.My C drive is a fat32 partiton,why can't I see a NTFS partition in 'WINE' using other drive letters besides C? :(
reg_masterz
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:48 pm

I made this post to try & help my admin, they do plenty around here. I have opened threads on boards before I even had a board of my own to help wireless users, also quite the mistake. Amazing how many people will flock to a fella that knows how to fix problems. I wish I could clone my self and solve a ton of problems. Time is not on my side. I may have bit off more then I want with Ultamatix. -7 once complete will free up a ton of my time, but currently time is not a luxury I have.

I am sorry, if an admin wants / has the time to ring in and help this fella out thanks.

TheeMahn

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Postby artifacts » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:03 pm

TheeMahn, i see you do alot of work on Ultamatix, Regular builds of Ultimate Edition, Tech Support. I just wanna say thanx for everthing. Your truly an expert at your craft. Keep up the good work. :)
Mainboard - ASrock AM2NF6G-VSTA
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ "Manchester"
Ram - 4 GB DDR2-677
Video - Geforce 7300 SE/7200 GS
Sata 0 - 300gb Maxtor
Sata 1 - Philips Dvd-Burner 20x
IDE - 200gb Maxtor

PlayStation 2- Chubby w/ Playstation Network Adpater
200gb Maxtor ATA 133 16mb cache (61 Games+Apps+Music+AVI Videos, 54gb free)
PlayStation 2 8 MB Memory Card + Free McBoot 1.8b

artifacts
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 2.0