Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

How to set up a ethernet connection through your laptop

Any and all things Laptop related.

Re: How to set up a ethernet connection through your laptop

Postby jh13 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:48 pm

well, i got to make all the changes, but when i restart the laptop doesn't pick up any wireless networks. i know its related to the part when i edit sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces. i had to delete the auto wlan0 setting in order to pick up the wireless. any ideas?
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby jh13 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Thank you guys sooo much. I will try it later tonight. I just installed the ubuntu 8.10 64bit on my laptop so i gotta change some stuff around.
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby jh13 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:12 pm

hey haha. i tried with ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, no progress. i managed to do everything, but when i restart the pc, the internet icon disappears. i had to undo everything in order to be able to reconnect to the internet. any ideas?
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby ixnod » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:22 pm

jh13 wrote:hey haha. i tried with ubuntu 8.10 64 bit, no progress. i managed to do everything, but when i restart the pc, the internet icon disappears. i had to undo everything in order to be able to reconnect to the internet. any ideas?

The network Icon, or the wireless icon on the panel?
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby jh13 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:42 pm

neither of them show up.
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby tuxsax » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:13 am

I guess it has something to do with your network original settings, what I've posted was only an example, but if for example, in your wireless networking you had a static IP and my example was given for a dynamic IP, it may explain your problem.
Also, after reboot, if you press Alt+F2 and then on the command line window you type "nm-applet" and run, does the network icon appears on your notification area?
If it opens, can you see the wireless network available for connection?
I think it may have also problems with the wired<-->wireless connection, I think that it might be impossible to "bridge" between them in order to make it work like you want.
I guess that if this doesn't work, you'll have to think about buying a wireless card for your desktop PC, or even a wireless access point , not a router, which allows you to bridge between wired and wireless connections, you plug it's wired jack to a PC, set it as a "client" of the wireless network, and there you go, as if you had a wireless card on your desktop. Nowadays it shouldn't cost more than 20-30 bucks
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby jh13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:24 pm

i think i will just get a wireless card for the desktop. But thank you for trying to help me and thank for being patient. Take care
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby jh13 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:11 pm

hey, i have a new question but same topic. If i installed windows vista through virtualbox in ubuntu 2.0, could i do port forwarding through the vista in virtualbox?
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby tuxsax » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:44 pm

Let me see if I get you right.
You want, for example, to make a connection on RDP port 3389 to your UE2.0 and that this will forward it to your Vista VirtualBox? Regarding RDP there's a way to do it in Virtualbox itself, the other ports can be forwarded similar to what I've explained before.
The best is if you have a couple of NICs on your PC, then you can assign one NIC to each machine, the NIC your Ultimate Edition uses, and another one for your Vista, each one will have its own IP address, is that an option for you?
Why don't you tell us a bit more about your scenario?
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby jh13 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:25 am

well, i'm just curious about the possibility. i'm not actually gonna do anythin. i got a wireless card for my desktop so all my problems are taken cared of. lol. But you did answer my question. Thank you very much
jh13
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Previous

Return to Laptops-All topics