Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

I broke it!

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

I broke it!

Postby Runaway1956 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:53 pm

Was playing with sound, and turned off the default sound manager. Since there are serious gaps in my Linux knowledge, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to turn it back on.

I've not uninstalled anything, nor installed anything new, since sound worked last, but I have mucked about the settings, trying to find the "turn it back on" function, lol

What command do I need to restart the default sound manager? GUI will work, but I prefer the CLI, I think. That should be easier to remember, if I mess it up again. ;)
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: I broke it!

Postby Runaway1956 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 pm

Oh. I have sound, again, sort of. I rebooted the machine to the Ultimate Edition 2.0 DVD, where sound worked fine, then booted back to the installed Ultimate Edition 1.9

I use a Plantronics USB headset, and I have sound in the right side only. Which, is why I was fooling with the sound manager to start with. When playing with the sound icon in the system tray, I could adjust volume in the right side, but the left side was unresponsive.

Anyway, I don't have the icon anymore, and don't know it's name.

Any help would be appreciated, because I expect that I may have the same problem once Ultimate Edition 2.0 is installed. ;)
Ultimate Edition 1.9 32 bit running on an Athlon 64 Victoria chip
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Runaway1956 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 pm

That worked, Thank you Strider.

The left control still stubbornly resists being adjusted. When I attempt to move the slider, I get a momentary sound on the left, then it stops, and the slider returns to the bottom.

Oh well - maybe when I install 2.0 it will fix itself. ;)
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Runaway1956 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

That is exactly where I am at. Since I don't have speakers hooked up to the system, it looks quite different than your image.

I can adjust the right side anywhere I wish, and it stays. Adjusting the left side is pointless, as it always returns to the bottom.
Attachments
PCM.png
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Runaway1956 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm

It will chain them together, but then I have no volume at all. Both sides go to the bottom. Unchaining them allows me to raise the right side again.
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Runaway1956 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Plantronics .Audio 550 DSP USB Headphones

http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review ... ull-review

I no longer have the box - I think the wife did some housecleaning and threw it out. I don't recall much of anything that accompanied the headset, certainly there was nothing in the way of Linux support. I just plugged them in, and they worked, lol

I have to go to work, so I'll check back tonight, around midnight. ;)

Later
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Runaway1956 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:41 am

Well, I played and played with the volume control. As I said earlier, generally, if I pushed the slider up, it would play sound momentarily. I fooled with it, and it would "stick" on for a second or two, while I held it with the mouse button down. After fooling around, it finally "stuck" and stayed when I released it.

I'm not fooling with it anymore! It is going to stay just like it is until I install Ultimate Edition 2.0!
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9