Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

upgrading to 8.10

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: upgrading to 8.10

Postby juancholo50 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:54 pm

I apologize also have the same question
will be released when ultimate edition 2.0?
thanks.
juancholo50
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 pm

andrey wrote:Thanks for quick replay ,friend !
I am not so concerned with power outage and such as i am concerned with system differences between 8.04 and 8.10 . Are there enough differences between Ultimate Edition and vanilla Ubuntu to prevent system upgrade ? Also today i will be making backup of my home folder and i have most tweaks in text file in how to folder , so as long as everything goes by the book all should be well .
Thanks for your time and advice ! :D

This is usually where cab rings in, he really does not care, he has a fast computer and lightning connection, he unfortunately as well as mods etc. have access to Ultimate Edition 2.0 and since he has a fat connection and quick computer is best for him to test as so. Straight up filled the download server in a day, his outgoing is much slower then his down.

I would suggest sbackup to backup your settings & tweaks, and restore them after installation. I really need to write a howto in this area and now is not the time & apologize. I also would like to say there are many a tool in our nix would that does similar, I greatly apologize I for one do not have the time to break that down. One is hosted exclusively on our repo. The programmer of that fine tool can "ding" in anytime.

I will be tied up for nothing short of a month, building x86, x64 and x86 gamers, until I can reach perfection across each distro. Please understand this, it is not "just" me that makes Ultimate Edition 2.0 what it is, it is users like cab, sure I may make it, it is his testing & other admin mods as brought up here.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby BobSongs » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:30 pm

I'm not sure what factors will affect an upgrade from Ultimate Edition 1.9 to standard Ubuntu 8.10, but my personal attempt failed. If you want the specs to my machine, I'll gladly submit them.

Perhaps the upgrade just needed a tweak here and there to get it working properly. But things did not go well for me. Prior to adjusting my sources.list file to point to the Intrepid repositories and running

Code: Select all
apt-get dist-upgrade

I stopped gdm. I encountered a message that I did not write down, something about gdm not running. Fine. So I hit Enter and the process continued. The tragedy: Each reboot brought me to a grinding halt.

For me? This is no problem. My /home folders are on a different drive altogether, making a reinstall a minor inconvenience (instead of a huge problem it is with Windows). And I like 1.9 very much. So, I'll wait for 2.0 to be released. There's no cause to rush off and wreck my system again. Heh, I'd rather be productive than cutting-edge. And this is a family PC. So the household expects a functional PC and not a distro-testing box, if you get my meaning.

imho
"I have never allowed my schooling to interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
BobSongs
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby TimelessRogue » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:41 pm

I've done it both ways recently: upgraded from Ubuntu Hardy to Intrepid and then on up from Ubuntu to Ultimate Edition 1.9 (all of this was 32-bit) via sources.list and update/upgrade manager. This past weekend scratched it all and upgraded to Ubuntu Intrepid x64 then Ultimate Edition 1.9 x64 and some 2.0 fluff using the fresh-install-from-ISO method.

Download/installation times for the ISO's was about the same for both processes. Obviously, the fresh install resulted in a cleaner (and maybe leaner?) system. But all of that seemed to take about the same amount of time for which ever method I used. My vote, however, is for the fresh install because of the cleaner system.

Dunno 'bout 2.0 though ... probably will use the sources.list and update/upgrade manager method ...

'Course all of this was over a paltry, not-so-fast DSL connection at 47-Kbs so it all took some time ... yeah, I know ... it sucks but what're ya gonna do ...

Oh, and I also backed up my working installations using Remastersys ... just in case ...
"There's nothing I can't do ... only things I won't do!" ... The Rogue

HP Pavilion dv9000ec 17" Widescreen Laptop
OS: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64 w/ 2.6.27-8-generic kernel
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
Memory/Storage: 2 Gigs w/ 2 SCSI 120mb drives - WinVista & Ultimate 2.0 x64
Graphics/Audio: nVidia GeForce 7150/nForce 630M & nVidia MCP67 Hi-Def Audio
Network/Ethernet: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11a/b/g & nVidia MCP67 Ethernet
DVD/CD: Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K17
Other Stuff: Phillips 80w 2.1 ext speakers, Memorex wireless mouse, HP WebCam
TimelessRogue
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby pch.shot » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:16 pm

If you are planning on doing anything with 8.10 the repos are very slow so you might want to try this:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby spantch101 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:56 pm

i can't wait for ultimate edition 2.0, my first experience with linux was on my dual booted laptop(vista utimate and Ultimate Edition) and i tried the Ultimate Edition 1.7 gnome livecd and been using Ultimate Edition ever since. but stupid me, i got excited when i found out ubuntu 8.10 was coming out and figured i would get it right away. when i did i figured since it wasn't Ultimate Edition i would just do a clean install going up from Ultimate Edition 1.9. i was not used to seeing such a plain os. lol.. all my themes and stuff i had for Ultimate Edition were gone and i felt kinda bad. Ultimate Edition makes Ubuntu so much better. cause it takes alot of the work out of setting my desktop up just right.. so i didn't even bother custimizing cause i am just waiting for Ultimate Edition 2.0... then i will be back in god's country..:)
Toshiba Satellite A200-AH1(because it was cheap) linux allows it to perform better
120GB Toshiba HDD
250GB Seagate External HDD
2x512mb DDR2 Samsung Ram
Intel Celeron M:(
Really cheap... but reliable... haven't had a problem yet with Ultimate Edition...other than my sound..speakers won't mute when i plug in headphones.. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
spantch101
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.1 64 BIT

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9