Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

QuickStart Okayed for Ultimate Edition Repository...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Re: QuickStart Okayed for Ultimate Edition Repository...

Postby SaddleTramp » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:57 am

Baphomet wrote:
DaddyX3 wrote:So, are you two (Baph'n'Saddle) using this with Ultimate Edition?

I am currently, and have for some time now, without a single problem. I've not explored every nook and cranny of the application, granted, but I've used the most intrepid sounding portion of it (House Cleaning) numerous times and never had issue. It's not THAT complicated an application/script, really. It's part installer (some common apps, nothing exotic really) some backup and restore routines, lets you edit some config menus and the aforementioned cleaning up of junk files... Nothing you couldn't do yourself, QS just makes it a little easier and puts it all in one place. QS is nifty, not groundbreaking.

See my first post. There's a link the QS forums in there... Swing by and check it out for yourself.

Yep...still do (amongst RemasterSys, AptOnCD, etc...)...haven't had any problems at all :D 8-)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:28 pm

I did test Debian sid with Ultamatix, no "borks" but some refused to install so to me an error... As for reconstructor (yes I added that one), RemasterSys, AptOnCD. It is about to come up a step or 2 for Ultimate Edition users, DO NOT release something as GPL or give me permission to modify it and expect me not to make it better ;) No I will not make any modifications to Quickstart, other then making a deb (I am just a maintainer), Dirk will have to inform me when he has updated it (I do respect the dev), I used to do the same for Startup Manager (SUM), he is now mainstream in hardys repo. Oh, BTW I did not make Ultimate Edition the users did to look at it that way ;)

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby mdpalow » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:16 am

QuickStart has a built in feature that will let you know if/when it has been updated. If a change has been made there's a new md5sum file created with the update. QuickStart checks itself each time you run it to see if it's in need of any updates. If so, you'll get a pop-up message and can update at that time or cancel.
Take care,

mdpalow

QuickStart Forum | QuickStart Sponsor >> http://www.See-My-Property.com
mdpalow
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby mdpalow » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:32 am

Baphomet wrote:

I am currently, and have for some time now, without a single problem. I've not explored every nook and cranny of the application, granted, but I've used the most intrepid sounding portion of it (House Cleaning) numerous times and never had issue. It's not THAT complicated an application/script, really. It's part installer (some common apps, nothing exotic really) some backup and restore routines, lets you edit some config menus and the aforementioned cleaning up of junk files... Nothing you couldn't do yourself, QS just makes it a little easier and puts it all in one place. QS is nifty, not groundbreaking.

See my first post. There's a link the QS forums in there... Swing by and check it out for yourself.

At over 1,000 lines of code that allow you to back-up your Ubuntu to TAR or image, image your Windows dual-boot, create custom scheduled recurring back-ups, create synchronized 1:1 back-ups, restore TAR/Image files/partitions, and quite a few other things I would differ with you when you say "Nothing you couldn't do yourself."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad you said it, but I wouldn't make it out to be just a simple script that does a little this and that. Perhaps not groundbreaking, but appreciated by those who've had their butts saved by it. I know I have. :)

Glad you like it enough to use though. I'm amazed QuickStart has even become as popular as it has. I originally created it for me and a friend to make things a little easier when we were brand new to Linux/Ubuntu. Glad I was able to give back.

Take care,

mdpalow

P.S. Really... wasn't bothered by your post. Just wanted to respond. :)
Take care,

mdpalow

mdpalow
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby deate » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:12 am

mdpalow wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

At over 1,000 lines of code that allow you to back-up your Ubuntu to TAR or image, image your Windows dual-boot, create custom scheduled recurring back-ups, create synchronized 1:1 back-ups, restore TAR/Image files/partitions, and quite a few other things I would differ with you when you say "Nothing you couldn't do yourself."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad you said it, but I wouldn't make it out to be just a simple script that does a little this and that. Perhaps not groundbreaking, but appreciated by those who've had their butts saved by it. I know I have. :)

Glad you like it enough to use though. I'm amazed QuickStart has even become as popular as it has. I originally created it for me and a friend to make things a little easier when we were brand new to Linux/Ubuntu. Glad I was able to give back.

Take care,

mdpalow

Trust me when I say..."A BIG THANKYOU" to mdpalow... There are of those of us here who are new to linux, and can't as of yet "do it ourselves" and we appreciate the help of people like you and Thee Mahn, to make our lives easier, in a transition to linux...so I guess what I'm saying is don't ever think that your work is not appreciated... I've already encouraged others to use this for their needs!!!
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby Baphomet » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:16 am

mdpalow wrote:At over 1,000 lines of code that allow you to back-up your Ubuntu to TAR or image, image your Windows dual-boot, create custom scheduled recurring back-ups, create synchronized 1:1 back-ups, restore TAR/Image files/partitions, and quite a few other things I would differ with you when you say "Nothing you couldn't do yourself."

I apologize for what now seem an obviously poor choice of words. I can assure you no one has greater appreciation for QS than I do. It is why I took it upon myself to find out about getting it added to the Ultimate Edition repo in hopes that it would reach an even broader audience. Believe me: QS no better friend than I. My comment was, admittedly, poorly worded but only to perhaps massage it's way in to our repo <cough, cough>. My thinking being that if I downplayed it a little, perhaps those in charge might be ever so slightly more receptive to the idea in general. It was never my intention to reduce its significance. If anyone's butt needs frequent salvaging, I assure you it's mine.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:44 pm

mdpalow wrote:
Baphomet wrote:

Take care,

mdpalow

Welcome aboard brother, and on behalf of Ultimate Edition users, thank you for such a wonderful tool.

I would like to know if you see any problems with the deb... I want to let you know I just installed the deb, ran it and it said there was a newer version out... I updated it and re-ran it and it says in the titlebar QuickStart 7.0.14 the same as the version in the deb, should it not say 7.0.15?

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby mdpalow » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:41 pm

No, there wasn't a real change. I don't know if you saw, but http://www.See-My-Property.com has become a QuickStart sponsor. I had to get their name at the top so it could be seen.

Don't usually go for that kind of stuff, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Hope everyone understand. :)
Take care,

mdpalow

mdpalow
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby mdpalow » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:56 pm

Baphomet wrote:
mdpalow wrote:At over 1,000 lines of code that allow you to back-up your Ubuntu to TAR or image, image your Windows dual-boot, create custom scheduled recurring back-ups, create synchronized 1:1 back-ups, restore TAR/Image files/partitions, and quite a few other things I would differ with you when you say "Nothing you couldn't do yourself."

I apologize for what now seem an obviously poor choice of words. I can assure you no one has greater appreciation for QS than I do. It is why I took it upon myself to find out about getting it added to the Ultimate Edition repo in hopes that it would reach an even broader audience. Believe me: QS no better friend than I. My comment was, admittedly, poorly worded but only to perhaps massage it's way in to our repo <cough, cough>. My thinking being that if I downplayed it a little, perhaps those in charge might be ever so slightly more receptive to the idea in general. It was never my intention to reduce its significance. If anyone's butt needs frequent salvaging, I assure you it's mine.

Thanks very much for this. But really... I wasn't bothered or even insulted in the least. Just felt a little obligated :ugeek: to say creating QuickStart was not a simple task. Sure, some parts are easier than others, but there is some pretty complex stuff in there too.

Anyways... appreciate the great posting by you and look forward to speaking with you all soon.

mdpalow
Take care,

mdpalow

mdpalow
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby moshe » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:55 pm

mdpalow, quickstart seems to be a great addition to ultimate. I downloaded and installed today and it seems to work flawlessly. I, for one, appreciate all the coders out there who work so hard to build the linux community up. As my coding skills are poor , at present, there is little I can contribute other than time to help new users to the best of my ability. Thanks for this addition, and thanks to Baph and ,especially Theemahn, for adding this program. Moshe... <BREW>
MSI Motherboard Dual core P4 3.0 GHz,2GB DDR ram,Nvidia GeForce FX 256 MB,WD SATA 300 500GBx2 RAID 0,WD 80GB SATA
"If you acquire knowledge,what do you lack?...If you lack knowledge,what have you acquired?
moshe
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

PreviousNext

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9