Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Sweet

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.9

Sweet

Postby Runaway1956 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Well - I am impressed. I have played with several Debian releases, and derivatives. The mainstream Ubuntu has a problem with their "free" philosophy. Java, flash, and all the media can be made to work - if one is willing to work a bit at it. Enabling repositories isn't a big deal, if you have done it a few times, as I have.

But, it's a bit of a pain, for most people, and worse, it can be a showstopper for those who are trying to migrate from Windows.

Ultimate Edition just works, out of the box. Every media that I have attempted to view or listen to has just worked.

THIS is how Windows users should experience Linux when they get curious enough to look at it.

Just sweet. :D
Ultimate Edition 1.9 32 bit running on an Athlon 64 Victoria chip
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Sweet

Postby ixnod » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 pm

welcome to the forums, and welcome to Ultimate edition.

Just curious what version of Ultimate are you running? Also, is it 32 or 64bit ver.
Finally what kind of hardware are you running on your rig? :D
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Postby Runaway1956 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, Ixnod - the hardware is sucky. I love AMD, and I love ASUS, but the wife bought this cheap-ass ASUS board with a Victoria 64-bit processor, and an Nvidia graphics chip. It is simply lame, as far as 64 bit support goes, so I run it as a 32 bit machine. (Consider it an early missing link between 32 bit and today's powerful 64 bit chips - google that Victoria chip if you doubt me)

K8N-UAYVZ is the mainboard model number.

I am running Ultimate Edition 1.9 - the latest version for which I could find a torrent. (I am still seeding, although my share has gone well over 300% ;) )

The single most problematic hardware issue, has been the fact that this machine has no external speakers plugged in, instead, relying on a Plantronics USB headphone/mic. Ubuntu's sound engines just wouldn't play nicely with the headphones, and all my experimentation led to yet more problems.

As I say, Ultimate Edition, out of the box, just plays. It sees the headphones, and pipes all my sound through them.

The second biggest problem has been networking. I use the motherboard's onboard NIC to connect to a broadband modem, with the IP assigned by DHCP. No problems so far. But, a PCI NIC is used to share the internet with other computers in the house. It took a lot of research to figure out how to make THAT work, lol. And, I never have quite figured out how to make the ICS work at boot time. I have to log on, open a console, and sudo -s in order to enable sharing.
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby cowboy » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Welcome to Ultimate Edition Runaway1956..glad you like the Distro...feel free to post any prob...we kind of have a nice group here... ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pch.shot » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:59 pm

Is that Victoria cpu from her?
Attachments
Queen_Victoria_.jpg
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Runaway1956 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:31 pm

I can't be sure if the Queen built this CPU, or if her son named it after her..... either way, it's a cheap piece of junk.

I have a first generation Opteron which runs circles around the Victoria chip, at half the clock speed. A large part of that is in the L2 cache, but the instruction set simply blows on the Victoria.
Runaway1956
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TimelessRogue » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:16 pm

I, too, am impressed! From the get-go, Ultimate 1.9 has been ... well, the ultimate. I'm new on the scene 'cuz I hadn't heard about the Ultimate Edition 'til I ran across it the other day ... and the change has been great!

Been with Ubuntu since the early days of the Badger and, while I managed to get and keep everything working (eventually) and used it for some basic day-to-day stuff but nothing in the least bit esoteric, I had to fall back on Windoze for anything more than that. And even though Hardy is okay, I really didn't think it was quite ready for prime-time ... there's a bit too much tweaking needed for the average Winlose convert. And there's just no "flash bang" to it. That said, it's still a fine distro and the developers continue to make it better.

Ultimate 1.9 has worked super-well, "out of the box" as they say. And with the addition of Ultamatix and Ubuntu Tweak to get in trouble with it is even better and easier and quicker and ... well, you name it.

At least on my relatively new laptop ... can't wait to dig out my nine-or-so year old home-built base station and give it a go.

As a note of possible interest: Instead of downloading the .ISO, I installed by using apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade to get Hardy up to snuff then edited sources.lst to include the Ultimate repos and used update-manager to upgrade to Harty on top of Hardy. Simple as can be and worked like a charm ... and I kept all of my user settings and data (which is also backed-up on the other drive.) Now the downside to that is that I don't have the full .ISO download to fall back on should anything go wrong and things get totally borked ... but then what can? And if it does ... well, I'll start over from scratch and maybe that'll teach me not to mess about. Not!

So ... kudos to TheeMahn for bringing it on with Ultimate Edition as well as all who have helped him with it along the way ...
"There's nothing I can't do ... only things I won't do!" ... The Rogue

HP Pavilion dv9000ec 17" Widescreen Laptop
OS: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64 w/ 2.6.27-8-generic kernel
Processor: AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-58
Memory/Storage: 2 Gigs w/ 2 SCSI 120mb drives - WinVista & Ultimate 2.0 x64
Graphics/Audio: nVidia GeForce 7150/nForce 630M & nVidia MCP67 Hi-Def Audio
Network/Ethernet: Broadcom BCM4312 802.11a/b/g & nVidia MCP67 Ethernet
DVD/CD: Pioneer DVDRW DVR-K17
Other Stuff: Phillips 80w 2.1 ext speakers, Memorex wireless mouse, HP WebCam
TimelessRogue
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby deate » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:45 pm

So, you've got it the way you like it? Then do what DaddyX3 considers essential...use Remastersys...I don't know the ins-and-outs, but apparently you can make a copy of where you are now, incase something goes wrong, look in the "How-To" section for more information :D
deate
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby pch.shot » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:54 pm

Speaking of slow, I was working on a circa 1999 Dell Latitude today. 5 minutes start up time running XP pro. Hell, you have enough time to shower while you are waiting for it to get ready!!
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby DaddyX3 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:31 pm

pch.shot wrote:Speaking of slow, I was working on a circa 1999 Dell Latitude today. 5 minutes start up time running XP pro. Hell, you have enough time to shower while you are waiting for it to get ready!!

This is how my brothers computer is right now .... pi$$es me off to no end. I just recently took over my HTPC over there for him to get used to. Set it up with XBMC (cause he does like his movies). I'm sure he won't be able to resist much longer :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.9