Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Streaming audio question...

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Streaming audio question...

Postby TexasMike » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 am

Hello all,
I love listening to my favorite broadcast radio stations via internet streaming audio. Lately I am having some problems with this using my Firefox browser (ver 3.0.1). It either does not "pick up" the streams, or it drops out after a few minutes. I have been having this problem for several months, now. I tried getting some assistance/advice from the forums back in April. Mostly, my problems have not gotten any better since.
Things I've already tried:

1: Uninstalled and re-installed Firefox 3.0.1 several times, along with all plugins, extensions, add-ons, etc. No consistent results - can't tell if this "fixed" anything because the functionality of "streaming audio" seems erratic (sometimes it's the station, clearchannel, or some other problem beyond my control).
2: Installed Firefox 2.x - same sort of results.

I have Ultimate Edition on several different systems, and in several different "versions", ie. 1.4, 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8, as well as the gamer's edition. I even have 1.6 installed on this system as a "dual boot" option. On every one of these other installations there seems to be NO problem with streaming the radio stations, including the 1.6 version installed on THIS same system that is having so much trouble with streaming in 1.8 X64 (see my sig below for a description of this system - Shop:).

What I am wondering is if there is a different program more appropriate for playing streaming audio from the net. I would like to be able to setup and connect to several different radio stations,one at a time of course. It does not need to stream video, just audio from broadcast radio stations that also stream the broadcasts over the net.

Any ideas ...??
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Streaming audio question...

Postby Baphomet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 am

TexasMike wrote:What I am wondering is if there is a different program more appropriate for playing streaming audio from the net. I would like to be able to setup and connect to several different radio stations,one at a time of course. It does not need to stream video, just audio from broadcast radio stations that also stream the broadcasts over the net.

You're going to get pounded with other recommendations but for me, nothing has proven more stable or easier to use for streaming audio than Rhythmbox, but that requires a direct url to setup the streams and preset buttons for them. If you can do that with the stations you want to stream, though, you're good to go. Some stations will provide that, others don't and they force you to use one of those java/flash based players.

If you're having problems with those little java/flash based "players" that open in your browser (gawd how I hate those things) then Baphomet has no words for you... Except maybe to entreat you to come into the light that IS Shoutcast or, if you must, I suppose an acceptable alternative would be Live365.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby TexasMike » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Baphomet,
Thanks for the input. It looks like maybe Shoutcast (XMMS...??) is what I need. I just checked Synaptic and found "XMMS2" as well as a plethora of other XMMS related packages. Do you have a favorite or a recommended package to use? I know nothing about these particular packages, and am open to any knowledge you may wish to impart regarding Shoutcast.
Shop PC:
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX TUF (The Ultimate Force) R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 9370 @ 4.4GHz Bulldozer Eight Core Black Edition
Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz
Video: ATI 7770HD GHZ Edition 2GB PCIe 3.0
Hard Drives: Seagate 2TB, Seagate 500GB, Maxtor 500GB
SSD Drives: OCZ-Vertex4 128GB, Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB
DVD Drive: Plextor PX-L890SA
Power Suipply: RaidMax Modular 1200Watt

Home:
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3
CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3ghZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video: nVdia GTX650
Drives:1TB SATAIII, 2ea 500GB SATAIII,
SSD: Samsung EV840 mSATa 250GB
CD/DVD: Plextor PL-890SA
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster T260
MultiBoot OS: Ultimate Edition 3.4.2x64, 4.2x64-Lite, WIN7x64, WIN8.1x64
Power Supply: Corsair 850Watt
TexasMike
Site Admin

Postby vinca » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:07 pm

amarok/vlc have shoutcast built in.
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Baphomet » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm

TexasMike wrote:Baphomet,
Thanks for the input. It looks like maybe Shoutcast (XMMS...??) is what I need. I just checked Synaptic and found "XMMS2" as well as a plethora of other XMMS related packages. Do you have a favorite or a recommended package to use? I know nothing about these particular packages, and am open to any knowledge you may wish to impart regarding Shoutcast.

XMMS is yet another media streamer. You can download it if you want to, but it would be simpler to copy the URL's from shoutcast into presets in Rhythmbox. Once those are set, you're good to go: everything you want, nothing you don't. That's pretty much Rhythmbox in my opinion, and that's what I like about it.

In all fairness, a lot of people DO just adore Amarok and it does have Shoutcast built in. I just find Rhythmbox so much easier to use and rock solid stable. But, again, Amarok does has a rabid, cult-like following, even if I fail to understand it. Maybe that's the Kool-Aid for you? Only YOU can decide.

Both Rhythmbox and Amarok are installed by default in Ultimate Edition as well.

But Baphomet... How do I install/set up a Preset button from, say, Shoutcast, in Rhythmbox?", I hear you asking...

Open Shoutcast.
On the left you'll see the "Tune In!" button.
RIGHT-Click on that button and select "Copy URL Location".
Open Rhythmbox.
Click on "Radio" in the navigation pane on the left.
Click on New Internet Radio Station (top, center) and you'll get a textbox asking for a URL (ah HA!)...
Paste the URL from Shoutcast into the textbox.
Right-click on the station again, once it's added to your list, to change the display properties of the preset button.
Double-clicking on the preset button starts the stream.
Lather, rinse, repeat for as many presets as you want.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8