Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

external storage: major issues after update

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

external storage: major issues after update

Postby firewire5200 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:04 pm

Okay, im currently running ultimate 1.8 (32 bit) with GNOME and compiz fusion enabled, and a few days ago an update was released, and trusting ultimate and its updates, i proceeded to install it. the next day, i felt like copying a few pictures over to my computer off of my camera's SD card, so i proceeded to pop it into the card reader on the front of my computer (im currently using an acer aspire L100). expecting the little drive named "CANON_DC" to pop up on my desktop, i waited for about a minute and nothing happened, so i decided to see if it was on the "my computer" thing in the panel... and i received an error: "Couldn't display "computer:". Nautilus cannot handle computer: locations.". I figured the memory card was causing the error, so i took it out and tried it again, same error. I am not that good with linux yet, so i went digging around the web and still couldn't find much on it. the only relevant thread i found was on the ubuntu forum, and a possible bug with gvfs or something like that, and that an OS reinstall might be necessary. I then proceeded to try to burn a DVD with all of my files, and music, and program configurations, however with both brasero, AND K3b, i kept getting I/O errors upon attempting to burn the disc. I created an ISO and tried to burn it, however, same error... my trash bin finally re-appeared on the bottom panel, but it was missing before... I cant find my disc to repair/reinstall ultimate, and my DVD burner isnt working to burn my data backup, or another ultimate DVD. Help with this would be greatly appreciated... If you need any of my configuration files/etc let me know, and id be happy to upload them for you... my computer has been rendered virtually useless.

EDIT: after posting that, i decided to check my trash. not surprisingly, another error: "The folder contents could not be displayed. Sorry, couldn't display all the contents of "trash": Operation not supported"
firewire5200
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 32 BIT

Re: external storage: major issues after update

Postby firewire5200 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:53 am

Hi Firewire

Not sure if this will help but seems it's a wide spread issue. Some have found a fix.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=801597&page=2

Quoted from the above link
I had the same problems and today I installed gvfs from GNOME official sources and a couple of my problems are fixed: trash applet is working fine, no more "Nautilus cannot handle Computer: locations" error, CD/DVD Creator Works fine, however I still don't have automount with removable storage and my other partitions don't show up in Places. At least we're on the right track.

Hope this works :D :D :D

Thanks angel, I tried installing that package he created on the last post, but it ended up corrupting nautilus and gvfs, and i had to track down the issue and reinstall both. im going to try installing it from source now, and *hopefully* it will work. get back to you on this issue...
firewire5200
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby firewire5200 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:29 am

Oh firewire I'm sorry I thought this would help not make things worse :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Hope the source one works :D

source one worked *somewhat* as they said. trash and computer working but still no DVD burning capabilites (wasted another DVD-R testing it... gave me an I/O error), which basically means im stuck trying to upload a 2.2GB file to xdrive... (which failed the past 2 times ive tried) and my printer's memory card reader (which normally shows up) isnt there...
firewire5200
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby SaddleTramp » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Howdy firewire...I've been going thru Google to scan thru this problem you're having and see that there's quite a few having same prob...I'm wondering what/which update this occurs with...reason being is I receive all the updates (same as ya'll) and prolly more(unless you have "Proposed" & "Backports" checked in your respository)... anyway, I have yet to have this problem on any of my partitions (1.8x64 & x32)...if there was a 'kernal' update that came over at the same time this problem started occurring, usually reinstalling the affected packages (usually "unsupported" packages/apps) will resolve it (has for both of my partitions in the past)... :D 8-)

EDIT 08/15/08: Here's more info on the "gvfs" issue and affected packages: http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libs/gvfs-backends

EDIT (Again): In RED ...also, an update occured just now...kernal was updated to 2.6.24-21-generic and as usual, since my nVidia drivers (installed thru EnvyNG) aren't supported, I have to reinstall my drivers (again thru EnvyNG) to update the "header" files...everything else still works (just transferred a file from my backup drive (separate drive) to my desktop on this drive..
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8