Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

32 Bit or 64 Bit?

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Re: 32 Bit or 64 Bit?

Postby tbird » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:12 pm

Baphomet wrote:
tbird wrote:Is there a noticeable difference between 32 & 64 using 2GB memory?

Are you asking if there's a performance difference between using 32-bit and 64-bit, all other things being equal? In this case, that being a PC with 2GB of RAM?

While I've not done side-by-side comparisons, I can tell you that Ultimate v1.8 64-bit is undoubtedly the fastest OS I've ever run. To be honest with you, I think you'd have to have two machines sitting side-by-side (one running 64-bit the other 32-bit) to actually SEE the difference; but 64-bit, for me anyway, just seems "smoother" somehow, more responsive I guess. If you're running v1.8 32-bit, I wouldn't counsel you to reformat and reinstall JUST to go to 64-bit instead. Does that help at all?

Not what I meant. I thought that there would not be much of a difference between 32 & 64 with using 2GB ram. The difference would show if 4Gb+ ram was used?
Nec hostium timete, nec amicum reusate.
Fear no enemy, deny no friend.
tbird
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby Baphomet » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:36 pm

tbird wrote:Not what I meant. I thought that there would not be much of a difference between 32 & 64 with using 2GB ram. The difference would show if 4Gb+ ram was used?

Oh. That IS a different question. My answer: No. Linux is very low-overhead compared to some other operating systems. In day to day operations I would be surprised if you noticed a difference between using 4GB of RAM or 2GB of RAM with Ultimate.

Now, if you're running a LOT of VERY memory-intensive applications, that's a different story. But a difference in how the OS, how Ultimate behaves with 2GB or 4GB, all by itself? No difference that you'd notice.

My system, right now as I type this, with Rhythmbox playing streaming music (internet radio), Pidgin (IM client), Thunderbird and Firefox open (and I have five tabs right now in Firefox) is using about 500MiB or ~26% of my 2GB of system RAM.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby Sno » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:27 am

I've been running the 64bit version since 1.8 was released. It does seem to run cleanly and a little better then 1.7 32 did on the same system. The only drawbacks I have found are sometimes you need to force the architecture type on .deb files if they were compiled for 32 bit. Most will still run fine after that. But the main issue I have is that the video codec work for 64 bit does not seem to be up to par with the 32 bit stuff. I get some video corruption watching movies. Especially divx and windows media files. Other then that, it works well.

Just my $.02....

-Sno
Then the women got the vote, and everything went to hell..... Drinking and gambling and whoring were declared unlawful. All those things which come natural to men became crimes.

-Tector Crites, The life and times of Judge Roy Bean.
Sno
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby vinca » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:18 pm

Baphomet wrote:
tbird wrote:Not what I meant. I thought that there would not be much of a difference between 32 & 64 with using 2GB ram. The difference would show if 4Gb+ ram was used?

Oh. That IS a different question. My answer: No. Linux is very low-overhead compared to some other operating systems. In day to day operations I would be surprised if you noticed a difference between using 4GB of RAM or 2GB of RAM with Ultimate.

Now, if you're running a LOT of VERY memory-intensive applications, that's a different story. But a difference in how the OS, how Ultimate behaves with 2GB or 4GB, all by itself? No difference that you'd notice.

My system, right now as I type this, with Rhythmbox playing streaming music (internet radio), Pidgin (IM client), Thunderbird and Firefox open (and I have five tabs right now in Firefox) is using about 500MiB or ~26% of my 2GB of system RAM.

dammit baphomet, how many brains/eyes u got? :lol: iming, emailing, posting on the forums, listening to music ....*poof* <-- my brain :shock:

\|/
-> :shock: <-
/|\
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:26 pm

I notice a "huge" gain in using 64 bit (and I use both all the time as I build them), but I have 4 Gig of ram and quad 64 bit processors. 32 bit O/S's can only address ~3.2GB of ram the rest is wasted. I am unsure weather I could see the difference if I was to rip out one of the 2 gig chips.

Some software for example is written specifically to take advantage of 64bit / SMP processors.

For example:
Parallel mksquashfs: Using 4 processors

I also have written software to specifically take advantage of the hardware you possess. I do find x64 to not only be quicker for daily tasks, buy very responsive (currently running Ultimate Edition 1.9 X64, will be released to forum users tomorrow).

I hope this has shed some light.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Previous

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8