Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

File and printer sharing problem

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

File and printer sharing problem

Postby painterh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:49 pm

Hello again everyone;
I am not sure what happened, (dont you just love it when someone starts out with this statement?), but somewhere along the line I have lost the ability to share files, and/or printers between my Ultimate box over my Windows home network. Let me clarify. I have a dual boot config with XP and Ultimate 1.8 x64. I also have a Windows home network which includes my wife's computer (running XP only), and my daughter's XP box, and I also have an old laptop which I dual boot XP and Ultimate 1.8 32bit. These computers share a connection using a netgear router, and I have been having trouble accessing my printer (located on my wife's XP box. I used to be able to brouse folders on my wife's computer and even move files from hers to mine. I could print anytime I wanted just as if it were another window machine, really easy. Now for some reason I can not only not print on my Ultimate box, but I cannot even see the other computers in network folder. I have always had a little trouble understanding this whole file and printer sharing thing. I don't know where to begin to sort it out. I have looked at countless posts/tutorials on ubuntu forums, but I am now more confused than ever. If anyone has a little time to help an old guy trying to enjoy this great operating system, that would be great. Thanks in advance for anyone's help.
There are 3 things that happen when you start getting old. The first is your memory starts to go and I can't remember the other 2. Wait! What was I talking about?

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
Opteron 170 OC'd to 2.8ghz
1 gig ram
2 160 gig Seagate sata 7200 Barracuda drives
Writemaster Dvd burner with lightscribe
Nvidia 7600GS graphics card
Dual boot; Ultimate 1.8 x64 (95% time) & Win XP Home (only for college course work)
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Re: File and printer sharing problem

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:22 pm

Well, sorry to inform you of this (""dont you just love it when someone starts out with this statement?"")- [rant]I have been having the same problem at work lately. I have 64-bit installed as well and have the same sinario as you do with the netgear router/ XP machine with printer attached and so forth. I've been banging my head against the monitor now all day long!!!! I'm freak'n pi$$ed about it too! I just got it all dialed in (recently bought a new industrial/ commercial Canon copier/scaner/ printer) and had to tweak the drivers a little to get it all happy with the network printing off a XP machine. Now I come in this morning and bam! NO GO!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: I was pretty much ruined all day over it. Thought that I might actually have hardware issues or something. Now by the looks of your post I would have to say that it was prob. a recent update that took us both out! I swear I would shut off all automatic updates if it weren't for the fact that I do use the internet from my computers!
----------------------------[rant/]---------------------------------
OK, now let try what I've tried today to see if it helps you at all.....
Firstly, what are you using to run the printer on your wifes/daughters printer(s)? Are you specifying to use 'Windows printer via SAMBA' or 'LPD/LPR Host or Printer'????
I found that using LPD/LPR Host or Printer worked for me at the office, but you'll have to go into 'Control Panel' on your wifes computer and 'Add/Remove Programs'>>'Windows components' then when the list comes up you go to Networking and Printing and double-click it. This should show up as only one thing to install>>> install it (you don't need the disc). When its done Go back to your Ultimate Edition install and go to System>>Administration>>Printing and then 'Add Printer' Then go down to "LPD/LPR Host or Printer' and then enter your wifes IP address on the network. There are a few ways to check this, but I'll just tell you to run back to your wifes computer and go to 'Start' >> 'Run' then enter 'cmd' and then enter. This should bring up a terminal window. Now enter 'ipconfig' this will spit out your wifes IP adress. Write it down and then enter that IP into the 'Host' spot in your adding a printer dialog box and then enter your wifes/daughters printer share name in the 'Queue' spot right below it. Then click forward/next and find your software driver for the printer and save/exit the dialog box then click 'print test page' and see if your happy now. If your not, then your in the same boat as I am and I think we got ripped off by an update :!: Either way, post back your results and or findings if you find a cure for the disease.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby painterh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:39 pm

Thanks DaddyX3.
I will give that a whirl in a little while when my wife goes to work on her night shift. She works all night (12 hrs.) as a caregiver for alzhiemers patients, and she does graphics as a hobby when she's not working, so I'm not going to interfere with her hobby time trying to sort out my problem. I understand exactly what you are suggesting as a solution, and I can see how it could work. I don't if something got updated in a recent update, or what, but it really chaps my hide something that's working just quits for no apparent reason. I hope it helps. I will post later and let you know if it worked. It sounds like that might be a good workaround for printer sharing, but what about file sharing between my computers? I'll get back to you. Cheers
painterh
There are 3 things that happen when you start getting old. The first is your memory starts to go and I can't remember the other 2. Wait! What was I talking about?

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
Dual boot; Ultimate 1.8 x64 (95% time) & Win XP Home (only for college course work)
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby painterh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 pm

I forgot to mention in answer to your question, I have been using Samba. I have never tried the method you mentioned, but i'll gladly give it a try. Cheers

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby DaddyX3 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:11 pm

painterh wrote:I forgot to mention in answer to your question, I have been using Samba. I have never tried the method you mentioned, but i'll gladly give it a try. Cheers

Well, as far as file sharing goes, I don't think this is going to help you at all :( But it might get your printing problem fixed for a while.
I agree with you 100% on the "chaps my hide" statement!!! I feel the exact same way :evil: :evil: I was not very pleased today when I had to deal with this crap at work!!! It was just freak'n working yesterday!
---btw, I have passed through Pasco a couple times a year on my way North to visit my Dad and my Brother. Last I was there was in mid-July last year and it was hotter than two hells there! Met a very nice lady that worked a gas station there though and she was very courious and polite, so it made my overall experience a nice one there. Keep me posted on your issue and I'll keep you posted on my end when I get this thing settled tomorrow. I already removed/ reinstalled cupsys and all the others that involve printer drivers. Tomorrow I think I will wipe SAMBA and its counterparts and see if that helps. If not, I have been pre-paired by keeping a backup copy of my system that I created with remastersys. So I can install and be back very close to where I left off. Being a dual boot it makes it pretty easy to store stuff on my VISTA partition also (when needed).
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby painterh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:10 pm

Daddyx3
Yeah, it sure can be hot here in the summer. We've had it pretty cool this year for some reason (mid 90s). I just got back to the computer, and am going to try what you suggested. If you hear anything new about the networking/file sharing thing, pass it on. Could it possibly have anything to do with ubuntu's built in firewall? Anyway, going to try that setup now and I'll post back. Cheers

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby painterh » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:39 pm

DaddyX3
You're the man,(Not to be confused with Mahn). That worked like a charm for printing. You are right, though, it didn't help with file sharing. At any rate, that's means were batting .500. Maybe someone will make a post here or over on Ubuntu forums about what happened, and what the fix is for file sharing. Thanks a million for the workaround for printing. Have a great evening!! :D

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby ixnod » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:22 pm

I am Glad that DaddyX's solution worked for you. I know that vista had an update today. Maybe XP had one also... in my home configuration, my computer is hooked directly into my router so is always networked on. and I just logged onto my router to get the client list and configure it from there ( HP photosmart C5140 All in-one) it has an Ethernet port in the rear which may explain why its going into the router.
Laptop. Macbook pro dual boot U.E 2.6 64 2.8 Ghz core2duo
Desktop:
Core I7 820, ATI 5870 radeon HD graphics Ultimate Edition 2.7
maxtor 320 gig external usb
1.5 Tb external Hd
Hp c5100 photosmart printer (networked and wireless)
ixnod
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:16 am

painterh wrote:DaddyX3
You're the man,(Not to be confused with Mahn). That worked like a charm for printing. You are right, though, it didn't help with file sharing. At any rate, that's means were batting .500. Maybe someone will make a post here or over on Ubuntu forums about what happened, and what the fix is for file sharing. Thanks a million for the workaround for printing. Have a great evening!! :D

Glad you got that part back up <BREW> <BREW> Here's some things I've come across on sharing files:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/a ... Part+1.htm

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605

Hope somethin' there helps ya :) 8-)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby painterh » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:35 am

Hey there Saddletramp;
Thanks for the links, I will check them out. I bookmarked them for now. I had the strangest thing upon boot-up this morning. After I selected ubuntu from my grub menu and it started to load, I got a message saying it was going to check my linux hard drive due to errors that were found. After the check was completed, I finished booting into 1.8 but was greeted with a message that I was running out of disk space on sdb1(my linux drive).
This, in itself, is very strange because I should have plenty of space available on this 160 gig drive. I immediately started up "quickstart" and ran a cleanup of all unnecessary files. A quick check of "my computer" properties shows only 1.7 gigs free space on this drive. I don't know whats going on. Also, I ran apt-get remove --purge samba, so I could start fresh in case my samba config file was screwed up. When I went to my wife's Windows XP computer connected to same router, it showed my computer as "CAD Architects, Stockholm, East 32st, 34th fl., [Samba 24]". My computer has never been listed by that name before. Something very strange is going on.

My system:
Asus A8n-sli Deluxe MB
1 gig ram
painterh
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8