Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Need Help Setting Up My Dual-Boot... Again.

Help & support for Ultimate Edition 1.8

Need Help Setting Up My Dual-Boot... Again.

Postby Baphomet » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:23 am

Well I'm back!!!

Did you even notice I was gone??

Had a hardware induced hiatus while rebuilding my new PC, getting XP installed, configured and stabilized; and installing my gaming addiction TESIV: Oblivion.
Happy to report that the build went smoothly and I'm now blazing with an Intel E8400 C2D @ 3.0Ghz, 2GB of Corsair and a WD 150 Gb 10K RPM "Raptor" hard drive, all on an Asus PQ5 motherboard. This, this IS the sweetness! Hooray for slipstreamed XP install discs, by the way!!

Now, my issue is as follows... I'm posting this from XP since I haven't yet reinstalled Ultimate. It's been difficult going this long but you gotta do what you gotta do. So now I'm ready to reinstall Ultimate but I'm going to need to dual-boot it with XP on my single SATA drive. No problem, I know, but I've poked around and looked at some of the tutorials and they're not quite making sense to me. I reeeeeally don't want to accidentally wipe my XP install or get the dreaded "No OS Found" error when the MBR get's dorked.

Would the simple solution be to use GParted (I have the bootable CD) to shrink the Windows partition and create a separate partition to be used by Ultimate? If I go that route, am I going to need to set up all three partitions for Ultimate - swap, /boot and / ? Is there an easier or better way to do this?

Lastly... Should I wait for Ultimate Edtion v1.9???

Help? Advice? Witty repartee??

Thanks in advance guys... Looking forward to having my 'buntu back. GAWD I've missed it so...
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Re: Need Help Setting Up My Dual-Boot... Again.

Postby cowboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:27 pm

"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby apc15x » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:53 pm

Well well well is this the same Baphomet that just recently was telling me the virtues of Virtual Box and how to install it and I followed your advice to the letter and forgot about doing a dual boot and now you say that you want to dual boot and you have XP on your machine? :o
I figured that you were missing when I told everybody else that I got my new system together and It is SWEET and FAST and not a peep from you. <BREW>
Not sure if this is in the order of advice but for myself I have usually used two drives when I did a dual boot, for me it is a lot easier. By the way I do have Virtual Box set up but I am only using one program on it and it works just fine. I tried to get my Blackberry to work with but I am having some trouble but it is not something that I have to use so it's okay. Also you might take a look at this site for information:
http://apcmag.com/howto_home.htm
If I see anything else I will let you know good luck.
    Dual Boot Win7 64 / Ultimate 2.4 x 64
    CPU: Intel Core 2Duo 3.0 E8400 Wolfdale 45nm
    MB: Intel Desktop DG31PR-1333
    Ram: 4GB DDR2 800 mhz
    Video: Intel Media Accelerator 3100
    Hard Disk: Sata WD 500GB
    20X DVD Burner
    Seagate 500 GB External Hard Drive
apc15x
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby vinca » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:58 pm

not sure what trouble you're having, just boot off the live cd of any version, 1.9 or not, and then go thru the install, and then at the point of the partitioning, just shrink the xp partition with the slider :D although sometimes for me the slider doesn't show up, that means reboot time :P :P :P :P
Vinca... aka BIG V

http://www.scienceprousa.com
Specs:
4gb ddr2 667 ram
Intel Core2Duo E6300 oced to 2.2 ghz
Radeon x1600
Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro
2x 250 gb western digital hard drives soon to be in raid
all on ULTIMATE EDITION!!!!

~Energy and persistence conquer all things~ -Ben Franklin
vinca
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Baphomet » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:58 pm

cowboy wrote:Found this in the newbie section.. viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1396&sid=6df667f4e72552e0cc5f96cab92917f0#p13031 ;)

Now THAT'S the sort of "stupid simple" I need. Thank you!! Dual-booting like a biatch now. XP was starting to exert it's evil influence's over me so this had to happen... Stat. GAWD, but it's good to have Ubuntu back!!!
<BREW>

Angel wrote:Ahhhhhhhhh that would explain why it's been so quiet around here...wondered who was missing ;)

Nice to know that SOMEone around here missed me... <<sigh>> (be STILL my beating heart!)

Angel wrote:That is a difficult decision...do you put up with a maladroit OS or install one that transcends all expectations and enjoy the benefits of perfection while waiting for the next auspicious installment from Thee...hmmmmmm tough call :D

Couldn't wait any longer... Ultimate Edition v1.8 up and running. I feel like rolling over and having a cigarette...
And I don't even smoke.

apc15x wrote:Well well well is this the same Baphomet that just recently was telling me the virtues of Virtual Box and how to install it and I followed your advice to the letter and forgot about doing a dual boot and now you say that you want to dual boot and you have XP on your machine? I figured that you were missing when I told everybody else that I got my new system together and It is SWEET and FAST and not a peep from you.

That's just a little more "witty repartee" than I was looking for. Nice to hear your system is kicking some bootaaay. Now get your a--back in line!!! I'm dual-booting for one reason and ONE REASON only (painful as it is): Gaming. Getting TES:IV Oblivion up and running on *nix is just more than I'm willing to put up with. Oblivion needs a full on (versus emulated) Windows/DirectX environment. Sucks something fierce, too, but I'm hooked on the TES series something FIERCE-ER. Bear in mind I'd have sold your immortal soul to have this gaming experience with Oblivion. Fortunately, for you, it never came to that. Now boot your Virtual Machine, oooo and ahhhhh over it's magnificence and STFU. I'm STILL thinking about selling your soul for a little more AA, or better FPS, so... Yeah.
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

If it's not broken, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Beginners Guide: Linux 101
Baphomet
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.2 64 BIT

Postby SaddleTramp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:10 pm

Well well well...Welcome Back Baffermet!!! The quietness 'round here was gettin' deafning...glad you're back...NOW MAKE SOME NOISE!!!!!! <BREW> <BREW> <BREW> 8-)
3 Rules: 1. Research; 2. Read; 3. Repeat 1 & 2
HP Pavilion a1700n; Asus A8M2N-LA; AMD Athlon X2 3800+ 2GHz; 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 Mem; nForce 430 Chipset
GeForce GT220 1gb PCIE16
Sound Blaster Audigy2
Samsung 250GB SATA, WD 320GB SATA, WD 500GB 'GREEN' SATA
TSST DVDRW 16X DL; ASUS DRW-2014S1 DVDRW/DL 20X
Ultimate Edition 2.4 x64
SaddleTramp
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.8