Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Software Updates

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Software Updates

Postby chris47 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:12 pm

Ok I recently installed 3.5.2 and so far it was running smooth, compared to the first time I installed it.. Every DE works as designed. Now when doing software updates, how do you determine which to update? Reason why I ask, is I did what I thought was basic software updates using one of the update manages, and after it was all said and done, my whole system is flacky.. One I no longer have a background just black ground, no matter what I choose it dosn't not show up.. Two compiz is real flacky, it will freeze and their is noting I can do to change it, but a reboot.. So that is the question in the topic.. I want to be able to run my OS without having to do updates that will just screw up the whole system..
MB-ASUS Sabertooth FX 990 Rev 2.0
CPU- AMD FX 6200 X6 3.8Ghz Black Edition
RAM- 8Gig 2x4 Corsair XMS 3 1600 C9
Video-ASUS Nvidia GTX 550ti Fermi
HD Segate 2T 7400RPm
HD- WD Raptor 10,000 RPm 150Gig
Monitor-Asus 23.6
PSU- Antec Earth Watts 650
chris47
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.3 64 BIT

Re: Software Updates

Postby chris47 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:38 am

Thanks I went ahead and just reinstalled the whole thing, worked out better that way.. Now each time it says there are updates, it ends up being a whole upgrade which I do not want to do.. All other DE worked after that bad upgrade, just gnome and compiz were screwed..
HD Segate 2T 7400RPm
Monitor-Asus 23.6
PSU- Antec Earth Watts 650
chris47
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.3 64 BIT

Postby billhedrick » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:33 pm

one thing tho, if you get the option to do a distribution update, e.g., from 12.04 to 13.10 DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL BREAK Ultimate Edition!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:59 pm

No

We need to step back and look what we are saying and redefine our definitions.

to update is to

apt-get update

as to upgrade is

apt-get upgrade

as to distribution upgrade is

apt-get dist-upgrade

Ignore the "managers"

sooo, let's say we want to install the latest gimp

assuming the source is from Ubuntu

apt-get update

apt-get install gimp

and that should bring it to latest from Ubuntu Source

if we want to add source to get even newer version

add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp

apt-get update

apt-get install gimp

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:40 am

Just going to add two cents and hope no one gets offended. For the past 3 or more months all I ever do is "apt-get dist-upgrade" I just got wore out on different aspects of kernels and so forth updating that require it. For me saves time and effort, especially if I have not gained full root with sudo -s command. See, I still have a bad tendency to forget "sudo" more less assuming I originally typed sudo -s to start all of it off. I also want to stress the fact of not walking or looking away when you do "apt-get update". I am mentioning it from experience. There have been times a repo is down for a day or two. If you look or walk away from your screen you will miss that fact. I have done this. Then when you hit apt-get install programiwant" the response is unable to find. Generally, is not tough to look at the list going down and should only take no more than 20 seconds so is worth the wait to watch, insuring all is well. Also remember to use keysnatcher as is a gem knocks out the repo errors and just saves countless headaches. Am a firm believer of it and enjoy it immensely. Saved my neck countless times.

While I am here, want to ask if anyone is using 14.10 and experiencing an issue with software updater of disappearing after clicking install and nothing coming out of it? Also annoying "apt-file" messages claiming failure to download and program works without a hitch, in fact better than I ever saw it work. Making reference to pipelight-multi and all its associated programs. Just figured this was close enough to what am experiencing issues with this new build of mine. Knowing everyone here is highly educated and knowledgeable, might just help me figure what is wrong. As said, no genius, just do my best and whatever I pick up learning, you bet am glad to share with all.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby pcelf » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:41 am

BBOSAK2143 wrote:While I am here, want to ask if anyone is using 14.10 and experiencing an issue with software updater of disappearing after clicking install and nothing coming out of it? Also annoying "apt-file" messages claiming failure to download and program works without a hitch, in fact better than I ever saw it work. Making reference to pipelight-multi and all its associated programs. Just figured this was close enough to what am experiencing issues with this new build of mine. Knowing everyone here is highly educated and knowledgeable, might just help me figure what is wrong. As said, no genius, just do my best and whatever I pick up learning, you bet am glad to share with all.

I tried 14.10 and had nothing but probs with it so tried 14.04 and it worked good. Have two borked installs of Ultimate Edition 3.8 x86 and 4.2 x64 so I got kubuntu and dl'ed tmosb 1.9.0 and built 4.3 x86 and 4.5 x86 and am going to givr those a shot. Seems no matter when I stray from Ultimate Edition I seem to always come back. That's saying something about this OS and the creator (theemahn). Just my 1/4 of a cent.
https://linuxcounter.net/user/534732.html
Asus M4N72-E MB
AMD Athlon II x2 245 cpu (Dreaming of a Phenom IIx6 1100T cpu)
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5670 1 gb ddr5 ram
Dual 20" HP S2031 lcd monitor 1600x900 res spanned wallpaper
Lg GH24LS50 dvd-rw Lightscribe
Asus DRW-24B1ST dvd-rw
3gb ram
1.5tb Seagate hdd & 500gb WD hdd
generic keyboard and MS 5 button mouse
Ultimate Edition 3.8
kernel 3.0.0-21-generic 32 bit
Ubuntu 10.04
Windoze XP Pro
TRIPLE BOOT
Netgear WNR-3500L router
pcelf
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:26 pm

Thanks for the response. So far just a few glitches that have mentioned with this 14.10, other than that am doing alright with it. 14.04 would still be very unkind to my themes, besides Verizon scalped me again, so another OS creation is out of the question for quite some time. Did want to do TMOSB again, but will have to wait and not thrilled about that at all. Sure miss cable as had no hassles like this. No one and I mean there is no other OS Creator in this world that can build as good of an OS as TheeMahn can do. One of the most amazing/intelligent people this world has ever known. I am still extremely grateful for all the help/advice he has ever given me when it comes to all information here. I can never thank him as much as he truly deserves. I love building OS's and would have never got there if it were not for him. I owe all my success to him. The failures, they belong to me.

I imagine by January or February, Ubuntu will have all these issues cleared out. Have gotten used to waiting til the ubuntu small image is released, but this time, invented my own. So, I imagine I am paying the price of getting it earlier. Still, the full version, I found it impossible to work with after 3 attempts, so I abandoned it for my current work which runs quicker than the 13.10 it replaced, so is sweet. I am getting to think no matter what, I will never get one of these Ubuntu's to work perfect. I will always see some minor glitch somewhere. Only way to get one running perfect is to have a great deal of knowledge and time into building such as TheeMahn does. Probably in Jan or Feb will give another go at TMOSB, after I get this Verizon bill paid. Of course is just one of many troubles for me these days. Best wishes on all you do and appreciate you took the time to give me some feedback as am real curious on how others are doing with 14.10.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:37 pm

Alexander143 wrote:In layman terms the problems outweigh towards getting the correct result.

Just had to move this down to the bottom of the thread..it all makes sense now. Apparently Alexander just posted too soon.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby chris47 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:26 pm

Have a issue with 4.4 since there is no sub forum I will add it here.. I can't not use root in terminal.. It keeps on saying passworth bla bla bla failed.. I have entered my password correctly and even tried a few other I have used and nothing works.. I know my password is correct but it will not take it..

I have tried this

pkexce $USER

and this

pkexec apt-get update
pkexec apt-get --purge --reinstall install sudo

Both did nothing..
HD Segate 2T 7400RPm