Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

3.5 Disappointing!!!

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Re: 3.5 Disappointing!!!

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Sorry to hear that and actually quite shocked! See I ran 3.5 on a flash drive in college, and on my home PC for about 6 months with hardly any hassle. Only hassle and find it on all OS's is Cinnamon! Is a hard one to work with that desktop! Since I saw this comment, I just wanted to tell you something I just found out recently that may help. Here and there video drivers claim to be installed and are not! I wish I would have saved the link, but all you need to do is go to the Ubuntu site and can find the simple commands to find out if that has happened. It hurts the OS more to have drivers that are not fully installed versus not installed at all! I found this on my laptop in an OS I put together with Gnome 3.6 and Cinnamon desktop. Something went wrong with the drivers and it went bananas! Would not connect to the internet, shutdown when it felt like it, so it rang a bell when I read this post! Also if you can please go into user control panel and list your hardware would be great! This will help those that are more proficient with hardware find the issue and resolve it! Happy to hear 3.4 Lite is working well for you. So far have not had the pleasure of running that OS! I slapped this 13.04 together, nowhere near precise as Ultimate, but for what I am working on, I need it. Need to know how to get out of trouble and with Ultimate, that was close to impossible!Just hope this all helps for you to understand what may have went wrong in case ever comes up again. When it comes to Video drivers, I do not care what OS you are running at times becomes a problem!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Lynx » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:42 pm

Hardware is on multiple computers, and varied. I tried 3.5 on a lot of laptops before giving up. Pity... it looked so good! I was running default KDE on all of them though, I never got around to loading a different environment. Standard Intel graphics for most of them... Thinkpads are my go-to and they don't put much stock in gaming-level graphics you know. :geek:

I see you're in Tennessee. Howdy there! I'm down here in southwest TN, southeast of Jackson. Tennessee is about the best place to live for the following reasons:
- We are too far north for Florida summers
- We are too far south for Wisconsin winters
- We are too far inland to get hurricanes
- We are too far from the east and west coasts to get their smog
- We still have broadband internet almost everywhere and a Wal-Mart less than half an hour from anywhere.
Life is good! But that's not the topic of this thread, so... back to the topic.

And it's funny you should mention running from flash drive - I happen to be running 3.4 lite from a Patriot Rage 32 gig. It's not quite as fast as the Sandisk Xtreme (which is basically an SSD on a stick, got a NAND controller and all) but it's faster than the Kingston cheapos I have lying about. I usually install Linux whatever-I'm-using to a flash drive and leave Windows alone on the hard drive, because I know eventually when I get a faster computer I'll give that one to someone and have to install Windows (and all drivers, etc) all over again.
Lynx
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite Gamers

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Yeah, is nice to live out here! I do however live 17 miles from Columbia, TN and on 2 acres. This means no cable only satellite and Verizon! Verizon can be costly if you exceed the limit. Believe me, have been there as putting an OS together will do that easily! Weather is sweet in Winter! I have not worn anything more than a heavy flannel versus down coat in Illinois, just 5 miles out of Chicago in Bridgeview. Tornadoes and storms are the drawbacks of life and everywhere on earth at one time or another has been through disaster of some kind! Walmart is in Columbia and is great for that quick stop shopping! Usually, 3 stores and am back home! 9/10 is a 100% less time consuming than was in Illinois!

Before Ultimate, I found Linux to be a huge effort to keep running. When I first installed Ultimate, I could not believe how well it worked! First one, you guessed it was 3.4! Only hassle was Cinnamon and believe me is even a hassle on Mint itself, which I had installed just before Sabayon 9. Sabayon 9 was alright, but I felt like a prisoner to Rico the package manager! So when I finished installing Ultimate and found out no strings attached, I was in paradise! Anything I wanted to do worked! I was and still am a Gnome addict! So yes I installed the Gnome version of Ultimate 3.4. I had great luck with all I did on it, but at times Gnome loaded slow. When 3.5 came out and I found out all the desktops were there, I just had to give it a try! Too much explorer in me! Even though 3.4 was doing great had to try it. So I moved all files of mine to flashdrives burned some to DVDs, formatted and installed.

I then found 3.5 was making 3.4 look bad! Was hard to believe at first when I saw Gnome loading without any hitches ever. All else was working right on the money also and quicker than Windows. In fact it made that OS look sickly! 3.5 simply outperformed Windows in all tasks I could give it! I was in College and everyone was shoving Windows down my throat. Here I was using Ultimate and just kind of laughing at all the hassles they were going through, while I was simply getting things done! Of course I also gave a few copies to people, who also claimed zero hassle and quite nice! Was a great feeling and still is! 3.5 gave me time to learn many new things. I then found time to pursue an interest of creating a Linux OS and of course was fueled by all the staff here! The inspiration, dedication and perseverance here is something I have never seen anywhere else on the net! TheeMahn and everyone here have more than earned great respect and admiration from everyone that comes to visit, myself included!

Through their guidance and support, I am now on the 2nd OS I created which I assembled at College in April of this year prior to my graduation in May. Even though both these OS's I have built are not as proficient as Ultimate, will say they still outperform Windows. Windows has become a secondary OS for me. I have it on the slave hard drive on this computer which is a 500gig. I use half for plain storage and the other half contains Windows. Primary drive is 1tb and contains my second Linux assembly which on the order of Ultimate contains all desktops, just not the performance!!! Windows gets used maybe about once every week, when is absolutely necessary. Otherwise I am fully Linux through and through! I have a laptop with two hard drives. One contains my first OS and a dual boot with Windows, other just my current 13.04 Linux. Only reason I stay on my builds are for learning purposes. 3.5 just does not error out! I have to learn some places where things go wrong so I can learn to fix them! So this is serving a purpose for me!

Still as I always say, I do not care what system you are on whether Linux, Mac, Windows, etc unless you can get the desired performance you expect, is not worth it! The best is always to be pleased with the OS you are using, since that makes a huge impact on your overall experience! Same goes for the desktop itself! I am and afraid always will be a Gnome addict! Sure I wander to the other desktops here and there, but I always land straight back on Gnome! To me I guess that old adage holds true "There's no place like Gnome". Some say they are terrible, others good. I see good and bad in all the desktops! To me navigation is the most important aspect. Navigation with Gnome is a cinch! Practically can be blindfolded and still do good! Still, is awesome, incredible and every word possible to have the choices of desktops we have in Linux. Everyone has a different vision and is just one of the most beautiful things to see as I move through learning Linux!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Lynx » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:06 pm

You had to pull out the "There's no place like Gnome" didn't you. You just HAD to! :roll:

The best part about flash drive install is I can carry my whole computer system in my pocket. All it needs is a random computer to boot it. Any computer I stick the flash drive in and boot, it is automatically my computer - my files, my settings, my everything. Makes it much easier to swap out computers, because I don't care about what's on the computer. It all goes with the flash drive. And cloning to a new flash drive is much cheaper than cloning to a new hard drive.

About 3.5 though... I never had the experience you cited. Mayhap it was because I used 3.51 instead of 3.5? I just got the latest one.

I have to also disagree about Cinnamon. My primary internet computer (er... internet system-on-a-flash-drive) is Linux MInt with Cinnamon, and it runs flawlessly on any computer I stick the flash drive in. But I didn't get a system and then install Cinnamon, I got the .iso of Mint with Cinnamon already installed.
Lynx
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 am

It is just proof, I am a Gnome Addict! Most likely Mint has done some major turn around since the version I used which was 13. Yes, right there the number says it! Unlucky!!! I remember booting up a few times and finding no desktop whatsoever, I only had about 3 months of Linux at that point and it was a terrifying experience! What had happened? Simple, wine and cinnamon at that point were mortal enemies! Wine had literally shredded all traces of the desktop. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to be able to right click and open a terminal window. From there, I had to re-install the Cinnamon desktop. It all worked for about another week, then following week would just not boot up. So, I re-installed. This happened a few times and then last time, I was fortunate to have downloaded Sabayon and just installed that. Sabayon did not come with Cinnamon and so I had to install it. Worked fine, most of the time. Here and there would error out. Now have to remember back then Cinnamon was still a bit young. I have not really used 1.8 so much besides to create some themes for it. There was a beautiful weather app that went with Cinnamon back then and did I enjoy it, immensely! Then it moved to a newer version, author did not update the program for another month so was without it til updated. Now I did try Snowlinux and minus what generally happens when you move the mouse to the corner happening everywhere, ran good! That point drove me batty! I mean those windows are supposed to go into the center when you move the mouse to a corner. When it happens just from clicking on something becomes very annoying. I had to disable that effect to even use in Mint or Snowlinux and that is a real drag! I like all the compiz effects and was another reason Ultimate stole my heart! Those flames coming up were just the most incredible site to see, absolutely gorgeous and stunning! Things whizzing and twirling just a great site to see!

Sabayon 9 was nice, but the package manager bit was a bummer at points. As I looked at it not long ago can see is still in effect. Now for a newer user is alright if you can handle the fact that you can not update software unless the package manager agrees to! That part hurt! See, I have always been a major user of Virtualbox. Now when these updates are available, the annoying message will come up as soon as you open it up. Since the package manager was responsible for this update and at that time it did not have it, was a total turn off! I thought I could bypass the package manager(Rico) and get the update. I spent about 4 hours one night and even with great assistance from Sabayon's staff, I accomplished nothing! That hurt! Then this was also during the time Gnome had just brought in version 3. Desktop was having major issues with addons. Their solution was to just disable these troubling addons. This left the switch disabled and looking very ugly when you opened up Gnome Tweak. Wouldn't you know it that the weather addon I had for just the Gnome desktop had to be one of the ones cut out. It was another one that was absolutely beautiful to look at. Display was large enough to see all the details and was hidden in the taskbar until clicked on. In the taskbar you would only see the temperature display. When you clicked on it, boom you had clouds, sun or rain just awesome art work. I have a terrible terrible fetish(as some would say) for looks of things on an OS! If I want something plain and ugly, I would simply go to Windows! To this day that program has never been revamped to work with Gnome. Real shame as a lot of care and work went into it! The stock one that you can put into the taskbar at present has gotten very similar to it, minus the large iconic display of current conditions. So have to stay satisfied with it until someday someone fixes it, or I learn enough to fix it!

Yes at present I have my own OS on a flash to use on other computers if need be. Did it in school, a few professors were impressed I had actually assembled one on my own. Of course I told them where the real credit lies. Ultimate! I also gave one of my professors a copy of the system and he said it worked pretty good. Coming from a avid Windows user, was great to hear. With Ultimate, practically puts people in shock when they see all the effects! Some Windows users do not have any clue about compiz! They see those dazzling effects and their jaws drop! Then the topper is the software! Programs that would cost into the hundreds of dollars on Windows and may or may not work correctly were on Ultimate working flawlessly! I felt like a kid in a candy store! Was great as I have never had tons of cash and to be able to actually understand some programs was awesome! On my OS I incorporated some other programs am interested in and most are real great also! Am just grinning ear to ear all the time that things can get done effectively and efficiently. Even though at points Gnome does not want to load correctly the first time, when it does get going, I find I have saved more time doing things. Seems every time I go to use Windows, I just do not have great success. I honestly think it hates me! Yes is strange to say, but I just know how things go so I stay with what works for me. I know enough about Windows to work with it as have had an immense amount of training on it. Still, I just get hassles and find I do better with Linux. So that is why I stay with it!

The new kernels updating always feel like is a brand new system being installed! I know sounds strange and I know is basically just rewording a lot of lines of code, but still has the brand new car feeling! There is just way too much about Linux that gets me excited as they stay on the cutting edge of technology. They do not have to get on TV and boast they are great, in fact they probably never will. Will be 90% of our population that pulls out a phone has it installed! Is just a true hero to all of us!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Lynx » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Linux Mint 13 was a bit flaky, I agree. That's another upside of flash drive installs - when a new OS comes out, grab a spare flash drive and install it to test. If it doesn't work, go back to your primary flash drive install.

For the record, I used Mint 9, Mint 11 and now Mint 14. Mint 10, 12, 13 and 15 were just too unstable. 10, 12 and 13 would freeze for no apparent reason, and 15 will not even let me turn touchpad tap-to-click off.

I have decided every OS line will have its bad versions. That's what I assume happened here with Ultimate Edition 3.5, it was just one of those things that happen. I'll use 3.4 lite until the next good, stable Ultimate Edition version comes out.

Oh, and speaking of Windows-only users... I STILL don't see why they should have to defrag. Did you know there are some Linux users who think we are joking when we speak of defragmenting hard drives? "What? Why would any OS INTENTIONALLY store files in bits all over the drive?"

While we're on the topic... you might want to try out Mint 14 with Cinnamon as default. It really works. No Compiz, no screensaver (alas, poor electricsheep!) but it works well.
Lynx
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 am

Yeah, kind of curious on this one? Read it a few times and have to admit am lost. I am always very honest in what I post. Maybe too much sometimes? Have for the longest had all my hardware listed, least since someone reminded me of that! In fact even my Laptop is listed with its two drives and Operating systems. Whenever I make a change, I go into settings and put it there. I would probably move back to Ultimate 3.5 today if I did not have to do all the updates! Of course, size is the issue as currently, no other means of downloading besides at home, where if I go over our limit, will incur a higher bill! Personally, would love to move over to Ultimate 3.6, as love staying current and I just blew it with a few old pieces of software in my OS! TheeMan never does that! Teacher is always going to be smarter than the student most times!!!! I also do miss checking out some of the other distros out there as I truly enjoy Linux and appreciate everything I have learned and experienced! For now am stuck on mine, does good just a few issues here and there!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby necromonger » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:26 pm

Xxjoker21xX wrote:
Blackwolf wrote:Perhaps adding some useful information pertaining to your hardware setup in your signature would be a good start. ;)

Welcome to the Ultimate Edition forums.

Our goal is to provide current news and timely assistance for you if required. To ensure a good outcome for any issue you may have, please post as much pertinent information as possible including which version of Ultimate Edition you are using , a detailed explanation of the problem, what hardware configuration are you running and what version of software you are trying to use. The following example illustrates what type of information you should supply:

Topic: Amarok 2.4 sound issues.

I am running Ultimate Edition 2.6.1 and recently upgraded from Amarok 1.4 to the newest version 2.4 . When I upgraded, Amarok exhibited choppy playback. I am running an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe mother board using the on-board sound ADI1988B chipset. I have not changed the default sound manager and all drivers are current.

As you can see, this post is informative enough that we can start checking for issues of compatibility with your sound chipset and Amarok. The better the information in the original post the less wasted time and better the answer we can give you. Please remember this is a voluntary community and we are helping for free. We understand the frustrations when things don't work as they should and we too get frustrated if we cannot find a solution, so please be respectful and remember the quality of the advice you receive is only as good as the question that is asked.

This means you too YOU_USER_NAME ;)

I dont know what this post has to do with me but yes i figured out the signature stuff and have since added info on my system.... :downthere I am always open to advice and instruction on proper ways to do things blackwolf any help you can provide just pm me... :idea: If i knew where to get all that info i would post it..

now I am scared to post I can't watch my back. :shock:
asus p6x58 prem. mb
intel i7 3.4
ati 6970 hd vid
12 gig kingston hyper x 1600
lg dvd burner
asus 24 inch hd monitor
sda samsung 120 gig hd ultimate 3.5.2 boot drive
sdb samsung 250 gig hd ultimate 3.4.1
sdc seagate 1 tb drive mint 15
necromonger
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Never be scared or afraid to post! This forum is not about that at all! This is a forum you can get the greatest information available since we are lucky to have the most brilliant OS developer around for number one then the moderators are among the most brightest Linux has to offer! Still, though for how bright everyone is here, we always need to know what equipment you are running and is best to keep up to date. I think that is all that has been meant by most of the posts. When I first joined, I also did not know about putting the components I used down in my signature. Soon as I learned did it! Some of us get a bit sarcastic at times and joke, but never mean any harm! So please do not be afraid to post ever as whatever the problem, the gain can be great for others when a solution is rendered!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Gelfling6 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:48 pm

Honest truth, I've been running 3.5 on my laptop for close to 2 years now, and I only botched up one of the network settings within the last 3 days, requiring me to rebuild. (quicker..) I tried linking a network drive, and it apparently fried part of Plasma, which pops-up an error every time I try to use Konquerer. (I seem to like it better than Dolphin, It's a matter of choice.) At least repairs, I've managed to get down to simplicity, and ability to replace everything once re-installed. (dumping the installed list from Muon Package Manager, and using Leafpad to edit the file into a shell script to reload everything via Apt-Get.)

3.5 has a few minor quirks. I installed 3.8 on another laptop, some of the utilities I expected from 3.5 are renamed, tough to find, Not sure if I want to install 4.0, seeing only a few questions in the forum on it, and the majority seem to be install issues.

Still, trying to get 3.5 again. It held good for 2 years, so why mess with success?
Gelfling6
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Location: Canton, Connecticut, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, 3rd star on the left...

PreviousNext

Return to Archive