Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Another DE issue

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Another DE issue

Postby Lynwood » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm trying the Live DVD of 3.5. It boots into KDE by default, and that works fine. But when I logout and try to log into another DE (I've tried Gnome Classic so far.), it asks for a username and password. I have no idea of what those are. And the screen freezes; I can't even get back into KDE or out of the computer, even with ctl-alt-del. I just have to soft reboot. What's the problem/solution?

Admittedly, I don't have great resources: 2 GB DDR2 ram, 2.4 GHz dual-core Intel processor. But it still should work, however slowly.
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Re: Another DE issue

Postby Xanayoshi » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:54 pm

viewtopic.php?f=117&t=8652&p=76442&hilit=password+3.5#p76442

If "ultimate" does not work, try "ubuntu"

You may be much better off trying Ultimate Edition 3.4 Lite, as far as the specs are concerned. Some of the environments, notably Cinnamon, and Gnome do not work sometimes. LXDE, XFCE, and Gnome Classic should work fine. KDE should too, even in kwin, but may cause problems when special effects are enabled.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Lynwood » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:48 am

The question was, why does a live DVD require a username and password? And if there is some reason that they are necessary, then what are they? Secondly, why does it freeze, so that I have to reboot to do anything else, after I get into the login page?
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:30 pm

"it asks for a username and password. I have no idea of what those are."

"What's the problem/solution?"

This is from your post I am going to delete..

"What are the Username & password for changing DEs in 3.5?"

Please do not double post anymore. This is a warning.

The link I gave you is from that question already being asked, and being answered, plus another way to do it.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:33 pm

As far as freezing..you probably logged into Gnome or Cinnamon.

"Cinnamon, and Gnome do not work sometimes"

As far as security..
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-763713.html

Here is an example of why you may need a password...

Let's say I create a USB with persistance for Ultimate Edition 3.5. Let's say I carry it around to show people how cool Ultimate Edition 3.5.

Concievably, since it can save..that USB will probably have all my Internet account information, personal information, it could have pictures of my naked girfriend..who knows..The point is, If I accidentally lose it, I may not want someone to just pick it up and get into it.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Off-Topic :
You have been using Linux for years!!! From what I can see, you were running Ubuntu 8.10 at some point. Again, I recommend trying Ultimate Edition 3.4 lite. It is closer in nature to Ultimate Edition 2.6, etc..., than Ultimate Edition 3.4, or 3.5."

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Lynwood » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:30 pm

I'm sorry for the problem all the way around. I should have searched the 'net in the first place. That's what I did and got the answer immediately. I feel like a dufus. I'm sorry I didn't click the link you provided; I don't know why I didn't.

Regarding freezing, no I didn't log into anything. I couldn't; I didn't have the username/password. Now that I got those (no password, I know), I was able to log into Ubuntu (Unity), and that worked ok. But when I logged out and tried to log into anything else, it froze. In fact, it wouldn't do anything, including shut down or restart. I've spent hours trying various sequences, and they all result in its freezing after one DE change or merely loggin out. It could very well be my limited ram. I'm going to see if I can borrow a computer with at least 4 GB of ram to see how that works.

Thanks for the explanation for why the username/password are there. They make perfect sense, of course. But, otoh, surely you can understand why one familiar with normal Live CDs/DVDs would be surprised by them.

Thanks for the help, and, again, I'm sorry I made the post in the first place.
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:53 pm

The password comes up in most live cd/dvd, it is just not something that is usually experienced because there is usually no reason to log in and back out. It is the act of logging out that triggers this. I have spent way more time than I care to admit tracking down passwords, most notably with Raspberry Pi Distros, because you need the password to become SuperUser (su,sudo,sux, etc..).

I added the bit on the end of link because that generally applies to all Linux Distros, in that, once you are live, you can "sudo passwd" and move more freely as Root.

Ultimate Edition 3.5 is complicated to say the least. It is not a problem to inquire, this is something that can be useful to know when using other mediums you can write on besides cd/dvd installations.

As far as the freezing, that is difficult to determine. It really could be a loading problem associated with your RAM because it is a live DVD. Theoretically, installing will get rid of that problem.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Lynwood » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Well, thanks, again, for the help. If I had just Googled the problem, I would have found the password quickly, but I wouldn't have gotten all this additional help. Great.

I tried 3.5 on a unit w/ 8 GB of ram & an Intel quad-core processor. It worked fine. No freezing. I couldn't get into Cinnamon 2D; I would use that rather than the Compiz-enabled version if/when I use that DE. And I couldn't get into one other; I can't remember which one. But I could get into all that I care about, and I could switch back and forth at will and shut down normally. So my current computer's limited power was the problem. I'm going to get 2 more gigs of ram and a quad-core processor sometime soon. Then I'll replace 2.6 with 3.5 (I prefer KDE as the default; that's one reason why I like this configuration). When that time comes, I'll be asking for advice on removing all the DEs I don't want (I'll want only about four or five).

> I added the bit on the end of link because that generally applies to all Linux Distros, in that, once you are live, you can "sudo passwd" and move more freely as Root.
What "bit on the end"? I don't understand this. If you were referring to this:
"You have been using Linux for years!!! From what I can see, you were running Ubuntu 8.10 at some point. Again, I recommend trying Ultimate Edition 3.4 lite. It is closer in nature to Ultimate Edition 2.6, etc..., than Ultimate Edition 3.4, or 3.5."
You must have looked me up here, on the 'net, or both. Yes, I've been using 2.6 since it came available, except for a 1.5-year hiatus when I didn't have access to it because of a hdd crash that removed 2.6's home folder. (Fortunately, I had backed it up the night before the morning crash.) That long break was because of a period of difficulties in life that prevented me from addressing the issue. I just got the help I needed to restore it a couple of months ago and so began using it again. During that hiatus, I used Mint 12. i used Ubuntu before that, beginning with one of the very early versions. I also began using Firefox from close to the beginning of the time when it was Phoenix. I'm committed to foss to the fullest practical extent possible (I do use proprietary codecs and a very few proprietary programs, including Opera) for both philosophical and practical reasons.
Lynwood
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 pm

I was thrown off, that as a Linux user, you hadn't come across the password with a live disc. The bit at the end end was in reference to how to generally deal with this, with all Distros.

Cinnamon for me does not ever seem to work, but others have stated that it does.

There is a 3.5.1 in the works I hear that will have the Mate Desktop as I referenced for 3.4 Lite as well as KDE. As far as KDE in particular goes I have tried to keep up with the backports, there are certainly ways to remove whatever DE you may not want. There are plenty of threads in the forum for this.

As far as looking you up, here, and on the net, well I suppose both would qualify, but all I did was click your name. <BREW>

I didn't know there was a compiz-enabled cinnamon. My biggest gripe with Cinnamon is usually trying to deal with Muffin, although I have heard that Cinnamon might use more Unity in it's setup to use Compiz. The Mate Desktop in 3.5.1 will have Compiz I am sure, but this can always be switched to Metacity.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Next

Return to Archive