Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Upgrading Kernel

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Upgrading Kernel

Postby billhedrick » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 pm

My install of Ultimate Edition 3.5 has the 3.2.0-48 generic-pae 32 Bit kernal, My 3.4.1 has 3.5 something kernal. Is there an advantage to upgrading the kernal, and if so how do I do it?
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: upgrading kernal

Postby ryanvade » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 pm

The newest kernel has speed improvements, bug fixes, more hardware support, security fixes, stability improvements, new functions, and more. I always use the most up to date kernel. (3.10-rc6 as of right now. Not stable, but the newest).

Ubuntu normally releases kernel updates every once in a while, and definitely whenever there is a new release. Of course, Ultimate Edition should not be upgraded so this is not a good method. The official way to upgrade on Ubuntu is to go to
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/
and install like any other program. All of these would be needed if on a 64bit distro:
Code: Select all
linux-headers-VERSION-NUMBER_all.deb
linux-headers-VERSION-NUMBER_amd64.deb
linux-image-VERSION-NUMBER_amd64.deb
linux-image-extra-VERSION-NUMBER_amd64.deb   # if available

However, most users configure, make and install themselves. I always do. IF you want to do this:
1. dowload from kernel.org
3.9.7 Latest Stable
2. extract to a good folder. Official is in in the README.
3. cd to kernel folder
make mrproper
this cleans the code
5. copy the current config from /boot to .config (hidden file) in the root of the kernel directory
make silentdefoldconfig
this will use the current .config and update it to the new kernel using the default options
make
this will actually make the kernel. * use the -j # where # is the number of jobs you want to start. A safe number is the number of cores you have.
8. This is where things get tricky. You can either make a .deb or install normally.
sudo make modules_install install
IN THIS ORDER
sudo update-grub
update grub file
10. Reboot and enjoy
11. You may need to reinstall/update Nvidia/ATI drivers. dkms will hopefully help you do that:
sudo dkms autoinstall

Also:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9038
https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum ... =23&t=4806

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade