Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Unity as kudzu

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Unity as kudzu

Postby billhedrick » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:55 pm

as you might know, there is a weed called Kudzu that basically takes over everything it touches. I was booting into all the options in 3.5 to see what they looked at, and my Gnome Classic is now unity. All the gnome options have the unity interface, this happened after I booted into unity to see if I still hated it. When I boot into any of the Gnomes, they look just like Unity and I need to know how to fix this... Luckily KDE, which is much better than I remember is immune. As is XCFE.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Unity as kudzu

Postby ryanvade » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:07 pm

We all know that Unity is based on Gnome. So it is possible, although unlikely, that apt-get updated Gnome 2 (classic) to Unity. Like I said though, this is very unlikely. Very odd. No offense, but the User has to be a part of this somehow. :oops:

Anyway. The old Gnome 2 is available with gnome-panel package. Or you can try something like Mate or Consort. I do not believe that this was changed with 12.04. If you somehow upgraded to 13.04 that would explain the Unity thing.

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:17 pm

Go in to compiz settings manager and make sure Unity is checked off.

If the problem persists, or you do not use Unity, I have a guide..

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=9116

That guide exists because of this.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby ryanvade » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:45 pm

Do you know why this is happening?

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 pm

Best guess is there is a problem created with the Compiz Window Management in relation to Gnome Classic. For a straight up Gnome 3 install we are presented with Gnome 3, Gnome Classic/Fallback and Gnome Classic/Fallback-No Effects, which roughly means..Gnome Classic with Metacity, and Gnome Classic with Compiz. When Unity is added to the mix, there are some issues..Unity started life as basically Gnome 2 with a Compiz Unity add-on. So there in lies a dilemna, since Unity/Cinnamon/Mate needs Gnome. This does not seem to be getting better. As far as I know 3.8 is still incompatible with most of the Gnome based DE. This is causing problems everywhere. You can avoid this with XFCE, LXDE, KDE, E17, etc..but XFCE does have a dependency, that if not careful, will pull Gnome and all of it's blahh. Sucks because Gnome 3.4 Classic/Fallback on its own is extremely useful, and can be ran at around 100mb. Unfortunately, you have to drag Gnome (3) around with it. Hence, the Gnome 3 at sessions I imagine. Unity can be pulled from this mix, but not(apt-get remove unity). To get rid of Gnome 3 though, you will lose Classic.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby billhedrick » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:11 am

Hey, I am not offended by the suggestion that it's an ID10T error, :-)
Will try those suggestions, but as I said KDE is a LOT better than it used to be
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:50 pm

Huh?..no, I have pictures and everything.

viewtopic.php?f=125&t=8920

Not user error exactly. In the beginning, I would re-install when this happened..then I thought..ehh...let's just get rid of Unity.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Return to Archive