Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Seeking Help

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Seeking Help

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:32 am

Here's the predicament. You boot up only have your desktop background and nothing else. There is no way to access your terminal as all clicks on the mouse reveal nothing on the screen. How do you get back into the file system? I mean from there can manage or even terminal with Sudo Nautilus and can click on panel in applications folder. When all I have is my background picture and no other function am surely lost on what to do? That was the reason I had to reload last time. Similar circumstance came up this morning! I always get excited when an update comes in for Cinnamon. I have waited so long to see that desktop again!!! Of course once again does not work! I forgot my "Cardinal Rule" of switching to manual login and logged out from Gnome into Cinnamon. Of course once again didn't work on CInnamon. All I had was my two icons on the desktop home and trash with nothing else. I immediately went into file system and clicked panel to get Gnome panel back. In my haste, I forgot to go to manual login. When I rebooted, I booted to the Cinnamon desktop with nothing but my wallpaper. Any clicks with the mouse did nothing! F12 just left screen black for minutes until I switched power button off. I rebooted 5 times, finally I had my two icons back. From there I did the panel trick and logged out to Gnome. I guess Cinnamon just does not work on Ultimate and should give up that pursuit! Last time I pursued it I tried the Ubuntu desktop which I was never able to rid myself of!!!! After logging out and back into Cinnamon that time, Cinnamon's bottom taskbar came up but then Ubuntu desktop took over with a minute. Was a very revolting experience!!! I was so tipped wanted to uninstall that Ubuntu desktop is very very ugly and appalling!!!! I like Cinnamon desktop and would enjoy using it once in awhile. I did have the pleasure of using it on Sabayon9, but thus far on Ultimate 3.4 seems to be a disaster. I firmly believe is some sort of file corruption between Ubuntu desktop and Cinnamon from the above result I had! I need someone that is very knowledgeable to get Cinnamon to work. My main concern is how to get out of the main predicament as don't want to reload for a while! Is very scary when you have all your programs set well, working great and you boot up to just wallpaper and no way out! Can't even get any command line scenario just nowhere! I don't have any kids here or scared what is on my computer so I always have it on auto login. I know is not totally recommended but it does save time. Just feel as if those of us that do use this auto login feature are penalized by many OS's in Linux as we get locked out of any way to correct our errors in a command line fashion!It is if we are forgotten and told "Well you have it set to Auto so you don't need any help!" Am just hoping as with how you developers have it together with Ultimate, you might pursue this type disaster area that is plaguing all Linux OS's! The above result has happened in every Linux OS have tried with autologin. Thanks for your time and consideration, reading this and once again still love Ultimate and will not budge from it!!!!! Nobody I know will ever take my Ultimate away from me!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Seeking Help

Postby Micro » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Have you tried to boot into single user mode? http://askubuntu.com/questions/132965/how-do-i-boot-into-single-user-mode-from-grub look at answer number two. I dont want to put Cinnamon down but there are tons of issues linked to this desktop. Im old school and love MATE. But I have Cinnamon working on 3.5 with no issues. But if i were to use it to the point of upgrading it I would predict breakage for shur. I may be beneficial to research where your conflict are residing. Maybe that having multiple desktop environment on the same system are working against you. Unity definately causes issues with Cinnamon and Gnome 3 too i believe. Package updating with multiple desktops can lead to breakage. So why not remove. It may be worth a try. Cant get any worse then it already is, plus you can use it as a learning experience. Thus having no regrets. But first i would remove all nvidia packages and restart to see if you can get x (if you have an intel generic driver). I am not a expert on this desktop but will try to help if i can. I feel your pain...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Cinnamon I can live without! Biggest problem is when you are helpless with a bootup that leads to only wallpaper. Nothing you do works and are totally helpless and left with one option! That option is FORMAT AND RELOAD! Have no other OS in the Grub so it just goes into the Ultimate Edition screen on bootup and then smack dab am sitting there with nothing but Wallpaper. Nothing to click on useless mouse except sure arrow moves around the wallpaper! LOL! Would be funny if there was an easy way out, but nope is not a joke when you have to reload everything!
Especially when one needs to use the computer for schooling and all those program essential for it have to be downloaded and reloaded! So yes am looking for that solution big time. Far as I know and have read that lousy Ubuntu desktop is part of this system and not removable. Wish it were removable cause as stated I know that is the problem! No I don't want to use Cinnamon all the time and would never! Would just be something to mess with here and there. Little easier on the ole lady's eyes! She's diehard Windows and doesn't want to move to Linux. So would be easier for her to understand if it was on screen that way! Have nothing to hide from her on my Hard drive and always tell her she is free to use if hers is tied up or if she doesn't feel like starting hers.
To her is like my stick shift car, she just doesn't feel like learning the ways of Linux! Me, I welcomed it and still view many OS's and am hoping one day I can contribute to Linux. Am in high hopes one day to obtain enough knowledge to give back to this system the learning and enjoyment I have received! For now am just wondering how to get out of a bad situation as listed! I used to not mind reloading, but with school is a little too much! So to avoid that will be greatly appreciated!!
As said in the original about a month ago, was messing with Cinnamon, got toasted with that Ubuntu desktop it messed up Compiz real bad and on the reboot, boom just wallpaper. No grub nothing just Ultimate Edition screen then background! Really sucked!!!! I know is the drawbacks and believe me, I have had plenty of OS's that crapped out 10 times faster than Ultimate Edition! Also figure is good to let developers know some issues so they can figure a way out!!!! As said if I knew what I could do or make to help this OS, believe me would be on faster than flies on ####! I am dead serious about Ultimate Edition since it has given me a much more positive look at Linux than any other OS has!!!!! Ever since using Ultimate Edition I can see if Linux is on this path it will be the primary OS of the future!!!! Will laugh and celebrate when Windows come tumbling down! They are just way to greedy!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:12 pm

I meant to say also that Cinnamon came pre-installed with Gnome and the crappy ugly looking Ubuntu desktop. Since everything else had worked on Ultimate 3.4, I just naturally assumed the choice of desktops would also! Well now I know what the "ole addage" "assume" means! Is clearly defined when it comes to trying to use Cinnamon! Although I have received numerous updates(lost count!!!) for the Cinnamon desktop and repeatedly check it after an update, it remains a total dysfunction!
The only time it has ever tried to function is after viewing that hideous Ubuntu desktop! After checking the hideous Ubuntu desktop out, I logged out and into Cinnamon, at that point Cinnamon's panel came up for exactly 1 minute and was replaced by the hideous Ubuntu desktop! Maybe I wouldn't think the Ubuntu desktop was so hideous or be very appalled at it, if it would have behaved in a normal fashion! To overtake a choice that was made, gets you real mad and upset! Believe me if I knew it were possible to remove that parasite from Ultimate, I would do it in a flash! In my opinion that terrible hideous menace has no place in a great OS such as Ultimate!!!! Needs to be expunged, obliterated, destroyed, deleted or whatever means to be ousted!!!! Cinnamon is a decent desktop. I had no issues with it while on Sabayon9, minus the normal extras that don't quite work with it. The ole addons! Is normal though as programs are written and when other programs are updated they no longer work well together! Just a normal passage of life in OS's!!! The overall functionality of the Gnome desktop was good and decent to look at! I really enjoyed the Eleganse theme had that nice sheer look to it! I have an extra for a sheer shell for Gnome, but unfortunately with how Ultimate had to be designed to not except shells, I can't use it! Not a problem as Gnome works beyond reproach in Ultimate, a fact that was not at all true in Sabayon9. Constantly, extensions were shut down in updates, which was a poor solution. No one thought of what Ultimate developers thought to do! They did some kind of combination which stabilizes Gnome to make it totally functional! I have not tested Gnome 3.6, but do know that 3.4 still had issues! Sorry for the lateness with this post, been messing with Cinnamon to no avail! Keep hoping I will find something as I see others on here that would like to see it function also!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm

It was my understanding that going into full on update/upgrade mode is a bad idea with Ultimate Edition. I tend to go nowhere near compiz for fear of the dreaded unity monster lurking beneath the pretty waters as well. I don't mind because of the "it works" factor. If you have the room, why not throw another OS on your grub for messing around with cinnamon and a simple Windows clone setup for the Lady. There are certainly plenty of distros wishing to provide the Windows experience. This way you can use U.E with working stability for school.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Oh better believe still mess with ones on VBOX, but Ultimate is the primary system. The ole lady doesn't really have much of a clue on how to run VBOX! Sure is simple, but sometimes with her the simplest things are the toughest! If it weren't for the issues of games not doing so well on Linux, I would have had her on Ultimate months ago! She likes all those crazy little downloadable games and 98% of them will bug out on Wine! Only one of my old games plays on Wine. Sure have the emulator for old nintendo games but do admit to missing Virtual Pinball which refuses to work on Wine. As don't have hardly any time for games, does not really bother me as the main is the school work which gets accomplished perfectly with Ultimate's assistance! VBOX seems to love Ultimate also, as I have yet to have any major issues. Of course you can't play 3D type games that require intense graphics with VBOX. I had Sabayon10 on VBOX but kind of got disgusted with it as they are still bypassing and turning off a lot of Gnome 3 functions! A lot of Linux systems are doing that instead of trying to work with it like Ultimate does! Not really doing to much stressful stuff with the computer to get Cinnamon so it should stay up. Just been looking around the net for clues to get it working. Just hopeful to figure something as there are other users on here that would also like to see Cinnamon going. Seems not everyone wants to pursue the issue, is just me that is a diehard to get it going! I get weird like that a lot of times, but most times does pay off since I do find something! So little by little when time permits and have an idea I try it! Seems the file system is getting stronger these days and the blank desktop is not occurring so frequently anymore! Still most times I take the precaution of switching to manual login. Otherwise if it weren't for booting to just the background, I don't think there is a way to kill Ultimate! That is the only reason have ever reloaded so would love to know what the cure is? If have that answer, would never have to reload!!!! Still as I say I also blame that Ubuntu Desktop! Anyone has a clue how to safely remove it would be grateful! So far have read is a core component, but am hoping is wrong since I have not seen it anywhere else but on Ultimate or Ubuntu! All this is also adding to my education! I don't want to just be well versed with Windoze and only its programs! I want to gain as much knowledge as I can so when I apply for a job after graduation, I have more of a chance!!!! I know for a fact not every business runs just Windoze! Have seen many Linux OS's used for business! For now the ole lady will just have to get used to Gnome! Besides a few years back when we hooked up I used to have the bar up top like that in Windoze!!! She remembers that! Personally I think she is more scared of all the programs in Ultimate!!!! Not me! I enjoy trying to figure them out! Already figured quite a few, but with this many am still like a babe in a candy store!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:52 pm

The only reason I bought an Xbox again was to prevent myself from breaking my system trying to get games to work. I can't help myself though. I have to have them on my desktop even if I only make sure that some work and never play. That being said I have had very good luck with 3.4, but I couldn't seem to get my windows size right, even though I had tackled this same issue before elsewhere. Too much moving around. Still, I love the GBA library, and the DS has plenty of awesome games. I just feel stupid when I do that because I have three nintendo DS and plenty of games I never finished. Still the emulators are certainly available. Back to wine, it works much better in 3.5 and there is no adjustments, it is there and it is good. I am severely limited by my video card in what I can do though. Oh! and gamers edition 3.0 is very very nice. I could have sworn I saw something about the cinnamon desktop issue elsewhere on this board. I just thought that if I were in the position of wanting to protect my system and having a windows like set for others I would just have the system load into that. Then when I wanted to use my own I would choose it from grub at startup. That way anyone can just turn it on and run with it but yours would be more secure with school work and such. As far as virtualbox goes, and games, you can always run Android off of it pretty well, and there is certainly a large variety of games to choose from there as well as emulators that do a decent job depending on what you are trying to do.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Wolfman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 am

Hi all,

I cannot say it will help you with all your various desktop problems but for gaming I install the package "mono-complete" which gives you "Netframework" support under Linux.

Open a terminal and paste this command:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

http://www.mono-project.com/Start

Regards Wolfman :D
Packard Bell Easynote TK
4GB DDR3 Memory
AMD Athlon II X2 CPU P320
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4250
Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 Bit
ZorinOS 6 Ultimate 64 Bit
PinguyOS 12.04 32 Bit
Windows 7
HP Compaq Presario
AMD Athlon II X3 425 Processor × 3
GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW
4GB DDR3 Memory
Wolfman
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:17 am

Thank you!!! Am very grateful as do not know the ins and outs of games with Linux. Have learned all that is really necessary and have had to put the secondary stuff on hold! Sure like to play an occasional game here and there so will be great to have some help, as Wine is one tricky little Devil! Am going to install that right after I post this. See with school and all the homework, is hard to read everything involved with Linux! I read a lot but not nearly as much as would like to!!! Maybe sometime after I get this schooling done and working again, will take more time to learn more. For now am very grateful have learned as much as I have and also for the great advice people have given me!!! Thanks very much!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Archive