Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

how to login to cinnamon desktop on 3.4 ?

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

how to login to cinnamon desktop on 3.4 ?

Postby geordiejohn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:48 am

hello i am using 3.4 and i cannot boot into cinnamon,any ideas please?
Acer Aspire 5536
Screen 15.6 inch Glossy HD LED 1366 x 768
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 3200
Processor AMD Turion 64 X 2 Dual Core RM-74 @ 2.2 GHz
Memory 4GB
Hard disk 500GB
Battery Battery has been checked and holds roughly 20 Mins charge.
Optical drive DVD/RW
Operating system Windows Vista Home Premium
Webcam Yes
Card reader Yes
WiFi Yes
Extras Power supply
Ports 4 x USB, LAN, VGA, HDMI, Modem
geordiejohn
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: how to login to cinnamon desktop on 3.4 ?

Postby ronbrijo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:03 am

Hey,

I have the same problem. I dont think Cinnamon works to well in Ultimate.

:shock:
System:
Mb - Asus M4A89GTD USB3
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
RAM - 8gb Kingston Hyper X1600
Video - Sapphire Radeon HD6950
Display - Asus VE247 Primary & Samsung SA300 Secondary
HDD - Western Digital 1TB & Western Digital 500GB
OS - Win 7(1TB) & Ultimate 3.4(Default 500GB)
:-)
ronbrijo
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby gregeubarr » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:09 am

I got it to work in 3.4 by disabling compiz in every DE instance that it runs. It seems that compiz will load automatically even if you switch to another DE. I had to remove it from start-up in gnome classic and i think in unity as well, it has been a while so can't remember for sure. Compiz will not run in a gnome 3 enviroment except classic.
gregeubarr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Personally, I have never been able to get into Cinnamon since I first installed. Now I have more problems and will give this warning. Do yourselves a favor and don't try the Ubuntu desktop either! It trashes Unity. Even after resetting Unity, I can not get rid of Ubuntu desktop's ill effects. Am hoping one of the team of great developers can shed some light and get it straightened out through their advice! I figured since I now see someone else looking at Cinnamon will tell exactly what happened yesterday. I decided after seeing on the list of updates that Cinnamon 1.6 was included, I decided to give it a whirl. I had tried a few months ago after installing Ultimate, but it never came up successfully. It is intertwined with Gnome, so please don't try to uninstall either! Anyway, I thought maybe it just needs a new theme and will work? Nope, was not the case at all had to get into the apps folder click on panel and log out! I then figured, you know I never tried Ubuntu desktop, let's see how that thing looks! From there it went to hell!!!. I had also thought maybe it would give Cinnamon a kickstart! I logged out of Ubuntu and into Cinnamon. Cinnamon desktop came up for maybe 2 minutes at which time, the unwelcome Ubuntu desktop took over!!! Very pesty thing!!! Have spent hours trying to get all the effects working properly again(those of compiz and unity) but I have lost the nice VUE globe that comes up when desktop initiates. Otherwise compiz effects are all back, thankfully. I had to disengage Ubuntu Unity plugin in the compiz desktop settings. As soon as it is activated Ubuntu desktop comes back like a bad penny!!!! Am getting to think my major disadvantage of having the all in one motherboard is the cause!!!! Have tried just about everything including changing themes, turning off file manager, reloading window manager, resetting Unity and am pretty well coming up dry to get VUE working again! Still, I love this system and there is no other that works better especially with these lousy all in one boards! Am not going to buy one next time around! Am just hoping as all these techs on here are light years ahead of me, one of them can spare a few minutes and probably know exactly how to cure it! Maybe will also shed some light for those of us that would like to use CInnamon once in a while. For me would just be for the ole lady as it is closer looking to Windoze and would be easier for her to figure out. Think these effects also drive her a bit batty! Not as crazy and open-minded as I am!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Micro » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 pm

Has anyone tried adding the repo and installing Cinnamon itself? I'd probably start by removing all related , add the following repo https://launchpad.net/~gwendal-lebihan-dev/+archive/cinnamon-stable if its not already there, and reinstall.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

As a matter of fact I did try adding Cinnamon. Sure it adds to the repo, but when you go to get it errors out saying you already have the most updated version. Then if you just download the deb and try to install, you get error message the system is missing libgjso-libmozjs185.1.0. A search for that only leaves you finding libmozjs185-1.0. Upon trying to install that you receive the message, you have a file that is more up to date! Believe me have spent a lot of time on this issue this past weekend. Is taking me away from some of my homework for college, but Ultimate is well worth it! Is a very sophisticated system that seems to mostly compensate for those of us that don't have the separate video card! Am just bummed am not smart enough to figure how to cure the problem yet! As I will state over and over, these developers are beyond great, is unbelievable to get as many functions to work side by side! I guess when it comes to the choice of desktops, it is seeming to be the Achilles heel of the system! Believe me before my curiosity about the Ubuntu desktop, I had zero problems as I always used Gnome with Compiz. So I guess curiosity not only kills cats, it kills the Ultimate Desktop. Will also state in the past 3 weeks, am proud to say even when using MS Excel all day on Virtualbox, Ultimate stays running with no more crashes. Believe me when I say, I know these developers pay attention to their forum and work on stuff to the utmost! If you don't believe me check some other LInux OS forums and you will see dozens of problems that never get addressed or even close to solved! Sure recently, a lot of this development team is not answering this forum as much, but am positive they have 3.5 in the works and is one hell of a thing to get OS's like this to functional so well!!!! Me, I am lucky to get java put input boxes on the screen!!! Still best regards to these developers and am positive our problems will get solved as soon as time permits! Also would like to hear what is happening when attempts are made to get into the Cinnamon desktop. Is possible if I get more input something might come to my head for this! I would do anything to help this system stay great! Believe me I owe it! Til now every OS I had crumbles and craps out in a couple months! Not Ultimate, keeps running! Just want to make sure is like that for everyone!!!!!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Micro » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:40 pm

Sorry to hear that. Well if you havent tried compiling it from source, heres a good start http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/955. After purging all the local cinnamon installed on your system now of course. Good luck...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:53 pm

Little scary to do that! Best I can guess on Ultimate is like we used to say in the "Old days" is kind of a "Heinz 57". Is really the primary reason I love Ultimate so much! See these developers wrapped the best of things into one. Now to recompile Cinnamon would most likely not mesh up with everything. As my luck runs, usually I never get stuff compiled right and if I do it turns me down on install! Besides that, I would probably wind up with just the Cinnamon desktop and I just want Cinnamon once in a great while! Not going to take the chance cause am not knowledgeable enough to get all the other programs and functions to work with Cinnamon after a re-install. Have looked through all entries in this forum and have not found a solution for what I caused presently, in my vain attempt to gain Cinnamon. Developers are working on 3.5 and will bet this problem will be cured in it! My bet is on that as thus far with this system seems to be the only "Achilles Heel" in it! There have only been a few Linux OS's I have seen that don't have a problem as far as switching and have multiple choices. Unfortunately, they are not 64bit! It's coming as usually the innovations come in the 32-bit versions first, before they hit 64 bit! Gnome 3.4 was a total disaster area when Ultimate 3.4 was in the making. The work that had to be done to keep Gnome actually running absolutely impresses me and blows my mind! Gnome flopped big time with all its shell extensions! Crash and burning big time. These developers somehow combined the stability of KDE to help Gnome stay up and running! Believe me I was on quite a few Linux distributions and the disappearing Gnome desktop was a real drag!!!! Many distributions went backwards back to Gnome 2, which is what Cinnamon is derived from! Cinnamon was a great solution for the ailing Gnome 3 and up, and to me remains a part of history. Now Gnome is in its 3.6 version and from all the complaints and problems am pretty sure it will work as it should now! I still want to have Cinnamon as I really do like the variations of themes! Am a real sucker for themes!!!! Presently on Ultimate Edition 3.4 I run Adwaita dark and Nissl-Adwaita Dark 4 and have the 3 stop lights in the right hand corner for the Adwaita Dark. Looks real sweet and enjoy it, but sure crashes almost every Gnome 3.4 have tried on it!!!! Something about those crazy yellow,green and red lights in the corner drive Gnome nuts!!! Am anxious to test on 3.6 Gnome to see if they will work without hassle! Cinnamon on Mint was a disaster when I tried it had all these lightning strikes(best way to describe it) when booting into the desktop! I did get it going on Sabayon 9 and it worked without hassles but of course was about a month after the OS came out(after about 200megs updates!). Of course was just a novelty to me as I do prefer Gnome 3 and up. I am a real sucker for their concept and looks and will keep rooting for them also!
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby gregeubarr » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:03 pm

I have voyager Linux which is basically Xunbuntu, on that I installed cinnamon 1.6. I really like it as they have made it more intuitive and easier to work with. I do not think i would try it on Ultimate Edition as it already has so much going on in it, I would not want to add more and cause an OS internal combustion lol. I am looking forward to Ultimate Edition 3.5 tho, very interested to see how KDE is going to be supercharged :D.
gregeubarr
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am

Very good thinking!!! I messed with it too much and I dumped! Was loads of fun reloading! Have lots of computer stuff in college and have to use Virtualbox for Windoze. So was at it all day to get all this working right again! Is close to where it was but not 100%. Am in sincere belief is some sort of file management problem to display the taskbar. Today received an update for some file management problems in Gnome, but unfortunately none of them cured the problem with Cinnamon. As will state over and over again is a very complicated system, that functions beyond reproach! I have seen Windows dump in a day without even half the stuff I put on Ultimate 3.4. It is a true power-horse that should be way more recognized than it is! If I mess with stuff again would use my own advice and do it in Virtualbox! I get in a rush sometimes to accomplish stuff and make some dumb errors! Fortunately I have learned a few things that might help some users that are in a similar college situation as I am. See I am going for an Associates in Business Information Technology. Least is what the state is paying for! On the side am doing my best to obtain as much education as I can! I will always do my best to share with everyone what I learn. If it is not related to post will start a new one. Will once again say: "I refuse to leave Ultimate 3.4 and will bide by it and enjoy it for as long as I can. Greatest thanks to developers for paying attention to what people really want!"
AMD FX 4350 Processor
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Next

Return to Archive