Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Newbie Questions

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Newbie Questions

Postby EndGame » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 pm

Hey guys, my name is EndGame and I am a linux newbster.

I heard about the Ultimate Edition from using Ubuntu a few times. I don't remember exactly where I saw it, but I may have seen it in the Ubuntu forums somewhere.

So I have a few questions that I would like answered, they are newbie questions:

1) When pressing the screenshot button, the OS automatically saves a screenshot to your Pictures folder. How would you change what folder it saves to? There are multiple screenshot programs on this OS btw, some I found were: Shutter, Screenshot, and Ksnapshot. Tampering with their preferrences doesn't seem to change anything.

2) How do you program on this thing? Is there a good guide somewhere on where to start programming? This environment is so different from windows, it's very terminal heavy. Such as compiling files, and running them, relies on commands rather than a click of a button or a hotkey. I'm so lost on where to start. I can't seem to find any good guides anywhere. There were a few, but they're outdated too. Honestly, the environment is confusing. Please help.

3) What are some important *must known* terminal commands? I noticed sometimes it's not possible to just drag a file over to another location. No, you have to type in a command to do that, like [move "file/file.type" "newplace/place"] I don't even know if that's right or not.

Please help. if anything, just answer question #2. That's the most important question imo.
EndGame
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Re: Newbie Questions

Postby EndGame » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:42 pm

4) Is there a keylogger installed? Or is there any way someone else can track down the information that I send through the internet, or random files I create? I'm just a little paranoid sometimes.

5) How do I remove icons from the bar on the top of the screen? There are some unwanted icons on there but, I think I've tried everything to remove them already. How do you do this?
EndGame
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 am

1) Sorry cannot help you with that one i never use any of the "screenshot" programs but i do believe the default "print screen" asks you where you want to save the image

2)for coding it really depends on what programming language you want to use, for html/javascript/php i just use gedit which is the default text editor in gnome ( you can find extra plugins for it)

3)Here are some terminal commands that you will find usefull
Code: Select all
cd
use this to change directory e.g cd /Downloads/
sudo
"sudo" is super user do, it temporary grants root rights to you to accomplish various task such as downloading and installing software
ls
means "list" use this to list the files in the directory that you are currently in
lsusb
lists your usb devices such as keyboard and mouse
lspci
lists your pci devices
apt-get install
use this to install software using the terminal from various repos

use
man "name of command"
to find out more information about the commands i posted there is plenty more i suggest googling for more info if you are really interested

4) absolutely no key logger installed but the federal police (FBI) can get access to your internet activitys if you have been a really really bad person 8-)

5) in gnome i think from memory it was right-click > remove i will have to get back to you on that one

most of all i hope you enjoy your stay here :D
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby EndGame » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:17 pm

Wow, thanks for the fast reply!

5) in gnome i think from memory it was right-click > remove i will have to get back to you on that one

Ya, there's no remove option like that on the quick icon bar. It's just, Launch or Properties. And if you try to drag it out, it won't move. It just stays there. And there's no right clicking on the bar itself to change the options up.

Thanks for the help Hawks, there's still question 1 and 5 that's unanswered guys!
EndGame
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

which version of Ulitmate Edition are you using?
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby EndGame » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:28 am

Ultimate Edition 3.4 64-bit edition. But you know what's odd? I have 8 GB of ram installed, but it only displays 3.74gb. It might not have installed the 64-bit version correctly
EndGame
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:30 pm

1. Open up the screenshot application from within the application launcher. scrot, screenshot, ksnapshot. The option for where to save will come up.

5. Right Click the Icon in the panel.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Nvm on 5, I have been using 3.4 lite too much.

Have to adjust the application launcher, I forgot all about that. I have 3.4 loaded, let me see here.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:46 pm

5. Hold down Alt, Stupid Windows Key, and Right Click on the icon.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Return to Archive