Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

There are just TOO many problems with 3.4

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

There are just TOO many problems with 3.4

Postby PinStripedTie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:52 am

Man... I am sorry to complain, but I feel it better to let people know what's going on before just up and leaving.
Because after 6 hours of use on Ultimate 3.4, I find myself leaving for another distro. I mean, I was really
liking this one with all the bells and whistles, but it is constantly crashing and programs not working and now
I switched to the Ubuntu interface and when I tried going back to Cinamon, it reverts right back to Ubuntu GUI.

I have found so many issues with this distro in only 6 hours of use, that if I were to list them all, I'd be writing
a BOOK!!

Maybe I will come back and try this one again when 3.5 comes out... cause 3.4 to me is a total disaster!!
PinStripedTie
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Not all distributions fit everyone

Postby treebuey » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:31 am

Bet your problem is mainly with Compiz and Nvidia like me. Problems are not solved yet. My temporary workaround is to use Metacity when necessary and most issues go away. Miss my eyecandy though so like a masochist i usually still use Compiz. ALT-CTRL-F1/F7 has become my best friend.

Ultimate Edition seems to have gotten prettier as it has evolved but It seems to be requiring more tweaks/fixes lately for specific situations. Perhaps they need to spend a bit more time testing on different hardware so newbies to Ultimate Edition won't go crazy.

My server machine still runs Ultimate Edition 2.8(Nvidia) like a champ but can't update anymore. 3.2(Intel) runs on my Laptop with a couply teensy minor issues(also Compiz).

I'm going to tough it out but then again am addicted now.
treebuey
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: There are just TOO many problems with 3.4

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:33 am

Just curious if the updates were done during installation? From personal experience the updates seem to really clash with Ultimate and many other Linux distros I tried. For some reason the updates mix like oil and water and leave the system not so stable, crashing and lot of hassles.One update, even updated me to have to reload! I reloaded without any updates and have been running like a champ for almost 2 months. I have the ATI drivers which is different from yours, but still suffered from a lot of problems due to those updates. Once I gave that up, have had no problems. I have to shut Compiz off for logins and passwords but otherwise seems to do quite nicely with all its wild effects! Been distro hopping for over 6 months now or should say stopped at 6months due to Ultimate! Personally haven't seen another distro that had as many programs and functioned so well! Sure I do put some up on Virtualbox, but gave up reloading my hard drive. Anyway as not every distro is for everyone, good luck on the next if you move on! For me, I will stay with Ultimate and view others on Virtualbox.
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby onosendai58 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:38 pm

When you first install any Ultimate Edition distro, do this: sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get upgrade. It's always worked for me. That being said, I gave up in disgust with 3.4, went back to 3.01, (my fave), and now ditched all of it for SliTaz. A 35MB OS that does it all with under 2GB space on my hard drive. I'm playing more PC games now and 2 as opposed to 20GB makes a big difference and gave me room to expand my Win7 partition to finally include almost my entire drive, leaving Linux as a backup.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Thorzton » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 am

Dito, i started back to 3.01 too
System:
Motherboard:Asrock 970 Extreme4 Mainboard
CPU: AMD Phenom (4x3,0Ghz)
RAM: 12GB DDR3
Video: nVidia 610 gts 1024MB
Disk Drives: 2 x 500 Gb changed to hitachi
Monitor: Yuraku 19 zoll 16/9
Soundcard: onboard
Thorzton
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby Moebius » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:30 pm

PinStripedTie wrote:Man... I am sorry to complain, but I feel it better to let people know what's going on before just up and leaving.
Because after 6 hours of use on Ultimate 3.4, I find myself leaving for another distro. I mean, I was really
liking this one with all the bells and whistles, but it is constantly crashing and programs not working and now
I switched to the Ubuntu interface and when I tried going back to Cinamon, it reverts right back to Ubuntu GUI.

I have found so many issues with this distro in only 6 hours of use, that if I were to list them all, I'd be writing
a BOOK!!

Maybe I will come back and try this one again when 3.5 comes out... cause 3.4 to me is a total disaster!!

Thanks for the feedback PinStripedTie and thanks for keeping it civil and polite even though I can feel your pain.
Yes there are certain issues with 3.4 - lo and behold, TheeMahn is human after all, and without feedback, well, then there is no improvement. 3.5 should not be too far away now.
If you'd like to try something else in the meantime, give this a shot:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=7701#p70227

Cheers. :)
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Postby ultanoobr4 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:41 pm

I know what you mean, hopefully 3.5 will work better
ultanoobr4
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Acaster » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:33 pm

BBOSAK2143 wrote:Just curious if the updates were done during installation? From personal experience the updates seem to really clash with Ultimate and many other Linux distros I tried. For some reason the updates mix like oil and water and leave the system not so stable, crashing and lot of hassles.One update, even updated me to have to reload! I reloaded without any updates and have been running like a champ for almost 2 months.

Same here. Two years back I installed Ubuntu 10.04 and it ran perfectly and I looked at all those updates, eagerly downloaded and installed them, and couldn't do a lot after so I reinstalled ignored the updates and everything was fine. I've been ignoring most updates since although I do get them one at a time so that if anything goes wrong I can identify the culprit.

As for the thread title I have to disagree. I've only had 3.4 a few days but the only problem I have is no log in sound and the wallpapers were a bit dull in comparison with previous so I made my own in the Ultimate Edition traditional style.
Change ain't what it used to be

Ultimate Edition 3.0, 3.5, 3.5.1, 3.6, 3.8, 3.9, 4.2b & bgl
i5-760 @ 2.8 GHz cpu
MSI MS 7613 MainBoard
16 GigaBytes RAM
Hitachi 1 TB & Western Digitial 1 TB HDs
Radeon HD 5570
Acaster
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby winton » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:51 pm

I have pretty good luck and use with Ultimate Editions... and little problems.. I am a long time user..
I have 3.0.1 and 3.4 on all of my computes EXCEPT ONE... My Latest and NEW computer...Is A new ASUS , Quad 4 , with all the latest buses and video options.. Quite a Machine...But it will NOT play ANY of the Ultimate Edition editions.. I also see this problem with others on this forum and other forums.. I tried all the other releases.. Same problem.
But I did stumble into one that works great on this NEW machine. From DVD or USB. I am assuming it might be a new Video driver problem??? On USB v3.0 flash drive it Loads and plays FAST . The one it works great with is the Linux Regal Athena X. it doesn't work on their older releases. I wish that some of the hard working people working with Ultimate Edition releases would take a look at what those people did.. I think its as simple as an addition Video driver.. With their older editions it WON"T work with either , the video disappears after the first screen.. and it appears to load... But I can't do any updates etc... the screen is BLANK.. Come on Guys... Look at it and fix it for the NEW computers with this problem .. I sure hope V3.5 will be fixed before it is released... I want Ultimate Edition 3.5 on my machine. Have a nice day... :D
winton
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby revloum » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:02 pm

Might I add a few issues here?
INSANELY LONG-(7 or 8 minute)-IPL.
initramfs abends on startup 4 out of 5.
Full desktop shows up 1 in 3.

Now, I am aware that some of this may well be hardware related, and I AM "workin' on it", but if these are bugs, (and I haven't finished my due diligence on that yet)...
2.9, 3.0 and 3.1 worked for me "out of the box" with some rather tiny issues here and there. But, I can't find "specific" issues if I can't load the product..heheheh. <--sorry...just a little levity...

I "heart" Ultimate Edition, (as the kids would say), and have been busy building machines so my head is full of Qimo. I need a desktop machine for ME, so I was looking to make it Ultimate Edition.

Give an old man a hand, then?
Four or five at a time..E-machines ET8135, (stock)...Ultimate 3.4
Old Acer 2.4GHz w/2GB @ 333
Acer Aspire L/T w/ W-7
Old Tosh 2GHz / 2GB L/T for the wife, installing Ultimate Edition in various editions till I max her out.
Homebrew w/ P-III running at 3.3GHz / 2GB @ 333 with SMS on it.
Old Compaq 600MHz / 512MB running Vortexbox
revloum
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Next

Return to Archive