Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ultimate Edition KDE4

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

Re: Ultimate Edition KDE4

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:18 pm

I hate even placing this on the net, It is very beta, I typically drop only stable.

Just my 2 cents,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby TheeMahn » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:35 pm

aperrigo wrote:I guess I have to hurry up and pass my next 3 tests this week to research the KDE4...I am honestly not a big fan of KDE but if they have improved upon it I guess I will try it out. My laptop is in with the Solid State Drive...and to be honest it is smoking....70-80 mb/s write times in XP....if I get fed up with XP x64 then I will switch it out for either Ultimate Edition 1.7 or my Hardy Ultimate Edition look a like

KDE4 is the "next latest & greatest" as far as environment, I love Gnome personally just because I hate everything about windows. Solid state pretty interesting, ever considered raid? I can only image raid at solid state. Just my 2 cents.

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby mt_deb » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:01 pm

Thank you so much for the link TheeMahn
Downloading now. Will get it installed tomorrow and tell you how I like it. I have always been a KDE fan until I installed Ultimate Edition 1.7 Gnome is pretty sweet.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can do no great things.
Only small things with great love.
mt_deb
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby tranz » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:36 pm

So so far no one has posted on there installs.... Waz up wit dat? I guess I will go ahead and leap into first! :oops:

I have to say you are the bomb Thee Mahn!!! The entire *nix community must be praising you at the moment :D !!!
How do you do what you do?!!!

OK so, I don't really enjoy KDE that much and haven't really understood what other users find so much better about it... It seems less stable and I just don't get the... uhm... cluttery aspect of it? I'm not really enjoying having to hunt and peck for applications and such. I know for sure now that I prefer the clean and tidy interface Gnome provides... :oops: Oh man I don't mean to be hating here... But I get the fact that KDE is KDE and Gnome is Gnome... So the user gets the option of which they prefer. It's great to have options :D But because this was such an AWESOME feat by Thee Mahn.. I decide to set my prefrences aside and just install it. So far so good! It is very visually stimulating and the widgets are way kewl! As I said previously though, I don't enjoy hunting for applications :roll: .. But there is always the learning curve right ;) . The bugs have been minimal... A couple little gliches on the install. Nothing major that just a little thought is all it took to figure out. Had to enlist some help on getting the resolution to where I wanted it... (if anyone needs some help with res issues I have some info on it). So now my resolution is correct and I have to say it is looking quite sexy! But when I turn on Compiz I loose my window decorations and the windows are locked in place! Checking the settings manager everything seems to be set appropriatly. Window Decorator is checked off, Cube, Rotate Cube, Cube Caps all checked off, Desktop size is right... but no decorations and I cannot get the cube to rotate. Switched to emerald theme manager... No help... Metacity is the only manager that will work with the windows... I haven't had any problems in the past with getting Compiz to work with Ultimate Edition in the past so I am at a loss as to how to get it working...? Has anyone else had this problem and know how to get it to work? Is there something in the Xorg I need to work out?

Well in closing I just want to say that I think it is visually very attractive!!! Dig some aspects of it, like the widegets, but so far it is not making me want to leave my Gnome environment. But I am interested, as I'm sure many others are, in the look at Compiz with it! Just got to get it working!

Thank you Thee Mahn for your dedication to the *nix community and your loyalty and commitment to us your Ultimate Edition users! It's good to be family! :D ;)
tranz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 64 BIT

Postby mangurt » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:31 am

Damn, I need to check this forum out more often....

Loving UE1.7 right now, but I actually downloaded hardy heron this morning to play around with.....I just might scratch that and download Ultimate Edition with kde 4. Who knows.
mangurt
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby mgc1952 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Hi - Having 1.7 running just fine is there any difference between adding KDE4.02 from the kde repo or (if I understand it correctly) doing a complete 1.7 reinstall with the KDE4 version?

thanks,
Mark
Toshiba L305D-S5881, 2GHZ AMD Turion X2 64, 3MB RAM, 200GB Hardrive, Writeable DVD/CD ROM, ATI Radeon Graphics,15" LCD, Ultimate Edition 2.8 32 bit
mgc1952
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby LeadFingers » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:33 pm

mgc1952 wrote:Hi - Having 1.7 running just fine is there any difference between adding KDE4.02 from the kde repo or (if I understand it correctly) doing a complete 1.7 reinstall with the KDE4 version?
thanks,
Mark
The KDE4 version was built around KDE4.
So there are tons of mods and the latest .libs.
also the packages have all been updated/upgraded

not an install for the faint of heat, but doable.

remember...
remove kubuntu docs and reinstall
Upgrade
Get latest envy from his site
install drivers

In that order, and you will have much less issues. :D
1st Box: Ultimate Edition 2.0 x64/ 1.8 x64
2nd Box: XP (dusty)
3rd Box: Stable Media box Ultimate Edition 1.8 x64 with XBMC

The Oxen are slow but the Earth is patient ~Chuen~
LeadFingers
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 64 BIT

Postby mgc1952 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi

Thanks LeadFingers for the reply. Is it only KDE4 on the disc or is gnome and KDE 3.x on there also?

I have really changed over the years from a kde user to preferring greatly gnome although kde4 has me highly curious. Is it a fully featured (gnome also) bootable disk?

Thanks again

Mark

(PS I am not afraid of betas, i used to be a mandrake user but Ultimate Edition has converted me)
Toshiba L305D-S5881, 2GHZ AMD Turion X2 64, 3MB RAM, 200GB Hardrive, Writeable DVD/CD ROM, ATI Radeon Graphics,15" LCD, Ultimate Edition 2.8 32 bit
mgc1952
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby cowboy » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:23 pm

mgc1952 wrote:Hi

Thanks LeadFingers for the reply. Is it only KDE4 on the disc or is gnome and KDE 3.x on there also?

I have really changed over the years from a kde user to preferring greatly gnome although kde4 has me highly curious. Is it a fully featured (gnome also) bootable disk?

Thanks again

Mark

(PS I am not afraid of betas, i used to be a mandrake user but Ultimate Edition has converted me)

It is only KDE4.. ;)
"Back up your Data"
"May I never lose the view of a nubie"
"Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man how to fish , he will eat a lifetime"
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
i5 2500k
3x4G-Skill Ripjaws
MSI GTX 560Ti Hawk..
Seagate 1TB Barracuda
NZXT 850w PS
CM Storm Sniper Case
Evga Superclock CPU Cooler
Mushkin SSD coming soon
http://acowboydave.blogspot.com/
cowboy
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby mgc1952 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:36 pm

Thank you cowboy - maybe I'll go for it for fun anyway
Mark
mgc1952
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

PreviousNext

Return to Archive