Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

HELP the DEV team make Ultimate Edition better

Older versions of Ultimate Edition

HELP Ultimate Edition dev team & pclinuxguru make Ultimate Edition better

Poll ended at Tue May 01, 2012 4:33 pm

More is better bloated is fine with me
26%
Less is more hand pick the apps
10%
Lets toss in other desktop UI's (increased dev time)
9%
Lets stick with gnome classic as our UI
23%
ISO 3.5 Gb to 4 GB
23%
ISO 1.8 GB to 2.4 GB
8%
ISO 2 GB to 2.2 GB
1%

Total votes : 290

Re: HELP the DEV team make Ultimate Edition better

Postby delicadaz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:34 am

heh just thought i might post this little snippet about Gnome3 and linux Mint
http://www.muktware.com/news/2890

give y'all something else to think about

:ugeek:
delicadaz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:53 am

delicadaz wrote:heh just thought i might post this little snippet about Gnome3 and linux Mint
http://www.muktware.com/news/2890

give y'all something else to think about

:ugeek:

We were one of the first to go gnome 3.2 classic way. Much of what they have done, we did first here at Ultimate Edition. ;)

So not only thought about , but implemented long before others had started. <BREW>

We didn't go with a shell, but rather pure classic. Making it as much like the old way as we could.

Tweaked it as far as we could, to get that old feel back as much as we could.

The shell way, is a vastly different way.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby mcarollo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:40 pm

My thoughts:

1. More or less does not really matter as quality is what Ultimate Edition is, not just quantity. If you can add more and make it better, then do it. If not, don't ruin what is already a work of art. Maybe additional apps should be highlighted as a recommendation as Ultimate Edition app packs through Ultamatix.

2. Desktops - I personally love Gnome 2, hate Unity, and could live with Gnome 3. I like to tinker with other DEs to see what they can do. Occasionally I use XFCE/LXDE just to run a lean system (lite version is perfect). Keep Gnome 2 as the base in the even point releases and work on adding others to the odd point releases.

3. ISO size - This relates very closely to my #1 thought above. You have the space, and I hate wasting DVDs, but I still believe Quality is better than Quantity. If you can fill it with an even better version of Ultimate Edition (and they do keep getting better, don't get me wrong) then fill it up. But I am spoiled as I have access to a very fast Internet connection, so 2GB vs 4GB does not really matter.

Never sacrifice quality for quantity. Quality is what sepaartes one distro from another. And cheers for the poll. Keep up the great work.

-- M
------------------------------
Dell Precision T3500; 24" Dell U2410
Intel X58 with Xeon W3565 @ 3.2GHz
24GB RAM; ATI FirePro V4800 (1GB)
320GB Main Drive; 2x2TB Storage Drives
Over 50TB of iSCSI SAN Storage
mcarollo
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:48 pm

Also if anyone didn't know development of Gnome 3.2 classic for Destined and Ultimate Edition 3.2 3.3 3.4 started 6 months ago.

Before beta 1 was released even for 11.10.

I keep seeing gnome 3 brought up.

FYI gnome 3 and gnome 3.2 classic - not the same thing. Quite different actually.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby pch.shot » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:13 pm

I have just installed Ultimate from VMware using a PC running Windows XP Pro. I'll get back if there are any major issues.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Driver » Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:28 am

I picked my three choices in the poll and clicked the button, but I got this message: "The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."

So...

Ultimate Edition will (I hope) never fit on a CD, so might as well make the .ISO completely fill a DVD-R (or +R).

Bloated to me doesn't mean 1,001 apps - it means unnecessary, convuluted, and/or kludgy code in the apps/OS (however many there are). It's going on a DVD, fill that puppy UP, lol. Perhaps adding a text file with simple descriptions as to what the various apps are for - much like the descriptions that appear when hovering the mouse cursor over them in the menus - and a preface explaining that it is not necessary to master - or even use - everything, that choices were included in hopes that the user can find at least one app from every category that he/she likes. Maybe even a simple step-by-step procedure explaining how to remove apps that the user wishes to <POOF>. For that matter, stick something pointless in there for the express purpose of walking user through removing it. Just make sure to add PointlessApp to the repository so you can also show user how simple it is to add back mistakenly-removed things via Synaptic (et cetera?) and user will never be afraid of adding or removing apps (or Synaptic) again because he/she will have used it for both.

Desktop Environment: Gnome. For a second choice, Gnome. If Gnome isn't available... <SHRUGS> I don't really guess it matters. The last one I liked before discovering Gnome was the DE built into MS Windows 3.11. They both take care of doing all the things that I need to happen in order to use my computer without me having to worry about them - and do so in such a way that I don't have to stop and try to figure out how to use them, they work intuitively (I put Ultimate Edition on my 73-year old friend's computer last year, she was unable to contact me to ask for help the next day, and later stated that she "just thought how it ought to work and that's how it did." You simply cannot ask for more - A DE that facilitates you're being able to use the computer without having to stop and think about how to do it.

I'm told that Gnome has the eye-candy which probably makes people happy who would just as soon stare at their computer as use it, lol. I don't know, mine are old enough to have been around when the Dead Sea was just feeling a little under the weather. But I did notice when updating to UE2.7 that the windows wiggle when I move them. That's kind of nice, when I get frustrated I can grab one and shake it.

Whatever you good folks decide, I trust that you'll continue in the spirit of excellence for which you are known. You have my sincere thanks for everything that you've done so far and which you'll do in the future. I hopped on board with UE2.3 and except for a few initial self-caused problems - which actually had to do with me deleting Ultimate Edition without realizing that I still needed the bootloader to get into Windows... And then you were kind enough to help me fix Windows (try getting "higher-ups" on the MS Windows development team to walk you through repairing linux if you mess it up whilst deleting Windows, lol) - I have had no serious issues and few non-serious ones.
Driver "Driving you over the edge..."

Laptop: HP dv6226 - T2250 1.7gHz Pentium Dual-Core, 1gig, Intel (non-)graphics, Mint 14 Xfce 32-bit, MS Windows Vista Premium DOA
Desktop: Old AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.792gHz, 1.256gig, nVidia 5200fx 128meg, a new used hard drive awaiting an OS
Camera: Nikon Coolpix 3200 (MIA)
Printer/Scanner/Fax/Copier: Epson Artisan 810 (Awesome & works in linux!)
Phone: Defy XT Android no-contract $19/mo. unlimited talk/text/data (thanks, Republic Wireless!)
Scanner: Radio Shack PRO-2042 made by GRE (STOLEN - thief, I've got a bullet with your name on it)
Driver
U.E. College Professor
U.E. College Professor

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby Morris.2012 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:22 am

Suggestions:Change the network manager.Include Traverso and Ardour as audio aplication.Skype included is very good, but verify that USB video cameras will work.
Morris.2012
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Postby onosendai58 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:33 pm

How about this? IT`S PERFECT NOW, DON`T CHANGE ANYTHING!!! <BREW> :D :mrgreen: :D <BREW>
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby Billie Cowie » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:48 am

Just put my vote in but how about an option to suggest apps for future inclusion. Three apps I have a find interesting and useful are 1,Mandelbulber -3D Fractal generating program ( uses lots of processing power, works with dual-core but lots bettter with Quad )
2/ Gnofracr4D-Fractal Generator
3/Alchemy -experimental drawing program

I use two of these programs a lot. Mandelbulber less so because of my laptops limitations but because they are independent though free to download, the installation process can be tricky.I can usually figure out how to get them up and running,( the latter two anyway)but it's a different workaround with different Os's.And yes, I use gDebi when I can but it doesn't always solve the initial problem.
Just a suggestion in any case! :P
All that I am or seem is but a dream within a dream.
Billie Cowie
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.1 32 BIT

Postby onosendai58 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 am

Billie Cowie wrote:Just put my vote in but how about an option to suggest apps for future inclusion. Three apps I have a find interesting and useful are 1,Mandelbulber -3D Fractal generating program ( uses lots of processing power, works with dual-core but lots bettter with Quad )
2/ Gnofracr4D-Fractal Generator
3/Alchemy -experimental drawing program

I use two of these programs a lot. Mandelbulber less so because of my laptops limitations but because they are independent though free to download, the installation process can be tricky.I can usually figure out how to get them up and running,( the latter two anyway)but it's a different workaround with different Os's.And yes, I use gDebi when I can but it doesn't always solve the initial problem.
Just a suggestion in any case! :P

No Billie, just no. Not everyone has multi-core systems. See above. :roll:
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

PreviousNext

Return to Archive