Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

The How To For Video Drivers????????? [SOLVED]

Help & Support for Ultimate Edition 1.5

The How To For Video Drivers????????? [SOLVED]

Postby smuggly » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

I get it but in my x11/xorg conf file instead of screen it says display is there a difference? also do i need to come out of my dri? Im using a kvm switch with only vga so i can run 2 computers.Probobly Cant do it.Im headed for beryl effects if possible.

ATI 9600 Video Card Thanx Tom

Sorry for editing your post Smuggly, but this has been resolved thanks to drama's ATI how to.
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Phenom 9750X4 Quad,4Gigs G-Skill PC 1066 Ganged Mode
2 500Gb Hd Etc.Ultimate Edition 2.1 X64 ALC 889AHD Sound And Hybrid Xfire Graphics Ati 3200Hd,All Running Great On Ultimate Edition 2.1X_64!!Hauppauge pvr 150 television pci card
smuggly

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: The How To For Video Drivers?????????

Postby betrion » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:50 pm

I had that card, and it's a lot easier to get fglrx on it then on my current one...Most of the tutorials I've visited have something missing..
EDIT: NEW ATI DRIVERS ARE OUT WHICH SUPPORT AIGLX, SO YOU DO NOT NEED XGL FOR DESKTOP EFFECTS. ENJOY. :lol:
Anyways here is how i did it. First open up terminal and type:
Code: Select all
sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

Add "fglrx" to the line "DISABLED_MODULES" like this:
DISABLED_MODULES="fglrx"

Then you need to disable composite (I'm not sure if you have to but lets be sure :D)
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add the following to end:
Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Now its time to use the wonderful script called envy(applications/system tools/envy)(if you lost envy some way sudo apt-get install envy..). Now select install ATI driver manually and select new version 8.40.4.
Sit back and relax it is a 50mb package wait for it to install and when it asks permission to write xorg.conf say yes to it. Now YOU MUST RESTART(very important i didn't do this before and i would always mess it up).
When you boot back up you need to type this into terminal to enable the fglrx driver:
sudo depmod -a

Please REBOOT again. When you have booted back type fglrxinfo in terminal and hopefully you should see:
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon blah blah..
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6747 (8.40.4)

If you succeeded in this driver installation we can then proceed to xgl/compiz installation, if not, well... :evil:
XGL
first get the xgl:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl

Now create a session:
gksudo gedit /usr/bin/startxgl.sh

Now if you want GNOME enviroment with xgl paste this:
#!/bin/sh
Xgl :1 -fullscreen -ac -accel xv:pbuffer -accel glx:pbuffer &
DISPLAY=:1
dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session

if you want kde paste this:
#!/bin/sh
exec startkde

alternatively, if you wante XFCE:
#!/bin/sh
exec xfce4-session

Save the file and make it executable with sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/startxgl.sh
Now terminal again
gksudo gedit /usr/share/xsessions/xgl.desktop

Paste this(change it's name if you want):
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xgl
Comment=Start an Xgl Session
Exec=/usr/bin/startxgl.sh
Icon=
Type=Application

Save it, and REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!!! VERY important or else you will get glitchy display when logging in to xgl.
Once rebooted and in session manager, select the session menu and choose XGL from it. Now hopefully you got into your preferred environment and have xgl on. To test if XGL is working type glxinfo in console and scroll up a bit and you should see:
direct rendering: No

This is perfectly normal, because xgl takes all the graphic card for itself. Now you can hopefully use beryl/compiz or whatever. You cant play games with ati card when in xgl(maybe some you can play but a lot of bugs) thats why i guided you to making xgl a session. I hope this helps.
BTW, use the compiz package from Ultimate repository, do not upgrade to newer. Whenever i tried to upgrade emerald would stop working and i would see no borders.
Last edited by betrion on Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
betrion
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby smuggly » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Thats Alot Of Stuff !Thanks For It I,ll Try It Tommorrow After Work.
Ill Let Ya Know Thanx Alot....Tom
smuggly

Postby TheeMahn » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:39 am

betrion wrote:I had that card, and it's a lot easier to get fglrx on it then on my current one...Most of the tutorials I've visited have something missing..
Anyways here is how i did it. First open up terminal and type:
sudo gedit /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common

Add "fglrx" to the line "DISABLED_MODULES" like this:
DISABLED_MODULES="fglrx"

Then you need to disable composite (I'm not sure if you have to but lets be sure :D)
sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add the following to end:
Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option  "AIGLX" "off"
EndSection

Now its time to use the wonderful script called envy(applications/system tools/envy). Now select install ATI driver manually and select new version 8.40.4.
Sit back and relax it is a 50mb package wait for it to install and when it asks permission to write xorg.conf say yes to it. Now YOU MUST RESTART(very important i didn't do this before and i would always mess it up).
When you boot back up you need to type this into terminal to enable the fglrx driver:
sudo depmod -a

Please REBOOT again. When you have booted back type fglrxinfo in terminal and hopefully you should see:
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon blah blah..
OpenGL version string: 2.0.6747 (8.40.4)

If you succeeded in this driver installation we can then proceed to xgl/compiz installation, if not, well... :evil:
first get the xgl:
sudo apt-get install xserver-xgl

Now create a session:
gksudo gedit /usr/bin/startxgl.sh

Now if you want GNOME enviroment with xgl paste this:
#!/bin/sh
dbus-launch --exit-with-session gnome-session

if you want kde paste this:
#!/bin/sh
exec startkde

alternatively, if you wante XFCE:
#!/bin/sh
exec xfce4-session

Save the file and make it executable with sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/startxgl.sh
Now terminal again
gksudo gedit /usr/share/xsessions/xgl.desktop

Paste this(change it's name if you want):
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Xgl
Comment=Start an Xgl Session
Exec=/usr/bin/startxgl.sh
Icon=
Type=Application

Save it, and REBOOT YOUR COMPUTER!!! VERY important or else you will get glitchy display when logging in to xgl.
Once rebooted and in session manager, select the session menu and choose XGL from it. Now hopefully you got into your preferred environment and have xgl on. To test if XGL is working type glxinfo in console and scroll up a bit and you should see:
direct rendering: No

This is perfectly normal, because xgl takes all the graphic card for itself. Now you can hopefully use beryl/compiz or whatever. You cant play games with ati card when in xgl(maybe some you can play but a lot of bugs) thats why i guided you to making xgl a session. I hope this helps.
BTW, use the compiz package from Ultimate repository, do not upgrade to newer. Whenever i tried to upgrade emerald would stop working and i would see no borders.

Thank you for taking the time to help out a fellow user, kudos brother, sorry I don't have the time to respond to every post and ATI is really my downfall I don't have a ATI card in this house and have 5 or 6 comps.
Had to modify your post there may be children here removed the vulgarity, nothing personal did not offend me but I do have to think of others.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby betrion » Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:42 pm

TheeMahn wrote:Thank you for taking the time to help out a fellow user, kudos brother, sorry I don't have the time to respond to every post and ATI is really my downfall I don't have a ATI card in this house and have 5 or 6 comps.
Had to modify your post there may be children here removed the vulgarity, nothing personal did not offend me but I do have to think of others.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn

No problem man, and I'm sorry for a little bit of vulgarity (my bad english...), anyways if smuggly tests it and finds the tutorial to be correct, maybe you could post it in faqs, so you wouldn't have to deal with ATI users? I want to help in any way possible.
Cheers!
betrion
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:57 am

betrion wrote:
TheeMahn wrote:Thank you for taking the time to help out a fellow user, kudos brother, sorry I don't have the time to respond to every post and ATI is really my downfall I don't have a ATI card in this house and have 5 or 6 comps.

Thanks again,

TheeMahn

No problem man, and I'm sorry for a little bit of vulgarity (my bad english...), anyways if smuggly tests it and finds the tutorial to be correct, maybe you could post it in faqs, so you wouldn't have to deal with ATI users? I want to help in any way possible.
Cheers!

Great Idea and thanks, I will give you credit there.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: Dual 4K 43" LG, 4K Samsung 28"
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Postby Epic » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:19 pm

Is there a way anyone could make a guide on how to install the AIGLX driver with compiz fusion?
Making a separate session that uses compiz and one that doesn't. Thanks for this guide with fglrx but, I think using xgl uses too many resources.
Epic
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby drama » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:22 am

Epic wrote:Is there a way anyone could make a guide on how to install the AIGLX driver with compiz fusion?
Making a separate session that uses compiz and one that doesn't. Thanks for this guide with fglrx but, I think using xgl uses too many resources.

im not exactly sure how to add sessions. but if you want an easy way to switch between using the eye candy and using standard effects you can do that with beryl. at least thats how i do it. if you load beryl and right click the icon in the panel it will let you choose between using compiz, beryl or metacity (the standard window manager).

p.s. sorry if i misunderstood your question.
ULTIMATE EDITION 2.5 X64/ARCHLINUX X64 DUAL BOOT
Antec 900two case
3 antec 120mm tri cool blue led fans (1 rear exaust 2 front intake)
1 antec 220mm "bigboy" tri cool blue led fan (top exaust)
Amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Am3 Cpu OC'D @ 4.2 Rev C3
MSI NF980-G65 Am3 Socket DDR3 Tri-sli ATX Mainboard
Nvidia 980A Sli Chipset
Corsair 2GB Dual Channel ram (1GBx2) DDR3 @ 1600 MHZ
EVGA Nvidia GTS-250 1GB PCI Express Graphics Card
Lite-On Dual Layer Sata Dvd Burner
3x 1TB Seagate Sata Hdd's 32Mb cache
ASUS VH235 23 Inch Lcd Wide Screen Monitor
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700Watt Psu
Rosewill 3.5" Internal USB 2.0 Card Reader w/ Floppy Drive
drama
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby DaddyX3 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:02 am

drama1981 wrote:
Epic wrote:Is there a way anyone could make a guide on how to install the AIGLX driver with compiz fusion?

im not exactly sure how to add sessions. but if you want an easy way to switch between using the eye candy and using standard effects you can do that with beryl. at least thats how i do it. if you load beryl and right click the icon in the panel it will let you choose between using compiz, beryl or metacity (the standard window manager).

p.s. sorry if i misunderstood your question.

If you want to add beryl manager into your session automatically on startup just go to System>>Preferences>>Sessions click "New" a window will pop up asking for a Name and command (command is "beryl-manager") click ok and your there ;)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Postby smuggly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:57 pm

I Finally Got Around To Getting This Working It Works like A Charm Thanx Alot......smuggly I Just Cant Fiqure Out How To Make The Desktop Cube Work,Wobbly Windows Works,Its Pretty Cool I Just Started Messing Around With It! :roll: Thanx Again...........Smuggly
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H Phenom 9750X4 Quad,4Gigs G-Skill PC 1066 Ganged Mode
2 500Gb Hd Etc.Ultimate Edition 2.1 X64 ALC 889AHD Sound And Hybrid Xfire Graphics Ati 3200Hd,All Running Great On Ultimate Edition 2.1X_64!!Hauppauge pvr 150 television pci card
smuggly

Next

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.5