help installing Ultimate 1.5 on a separate hdd

Help & Support for Ultimate Edition 1.5

help installing Ultimate 1.5 on a separate hdd

Postby quattro » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:07 am

hello,
i am completely new on this, i have a copy of Ubuntu live cd and working properly as a live cd but i cant instal is on a separate hdd i have vista installed on a 2x 250gb RAID0 and i have a 500gb SATA hdd formated and ready to use but every time i instal ubuntu nothing happens no dual boot i just boot in to vista as if i only have one OS and the 500gb hdd just disappears from vista !!! i have to format it again to show up .

i tried many times, at one attempt i had dual boot but when i select i only get Grub>_

please help!!!!!
quattro
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Re: help installing Ultimate 1.5 on a separate hdd

Postby TheeMahn » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:04 am

quattro wrote:hello,
i am completely new on this, i have a copy of Ubuntu live cd and working properly as a live cd but i cant instal is on a separate hdd i have vista installed on a 2x 250gb RAID0 and i have a 500gb SATA hdd formated and ready to use but every time i instal ubuntu nothing happens no dual boot i just boot in to vista as if i only have one OS and the 500gb hdd just disappears from vista !!! i have to format it again to show up .

i tried many times, at one attempt i had dual boot but when i select i only get Grub>_

please help!!!!!

Boot from the live dvd open a terminal and enter the following & post the results here:
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l

Dmesg:
Code: Select all
dmesg

And I will see what I can do for you.
Home of Ultimate Edition. Got a question? Please review the F.A.Q. Browse the How to section.

Main O/S: Builder of O/S Guess.
Mainboard: ASUS Hero VI (AM4)
CPU: AMD 1700X water cooled (Deepcool Captain Genome Cooling tower)
Ram: 16 GB GSkill Trident RGB Series Dual Channel DDR4 3200
Video: MSI RX470 8GB Gaming card.
Hard Disks: MASSIVE on the network.(10 Gigabit, 48 port, multiple servers)
Monitors: 4K Samsung 28", HannsG HH281, Various others
750 Watt modular PSU (Rosswell)
1100 Watt Amp & 4 X 600 Watt speakers

Servers in the basement.
TheeMahn
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Developer

Re: help installing Ultimate 1.5 on a separate hdd

Postby DaddyX3 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:12 pm

quattro wrote:hello,

please help!!!!!

You might also check that you are booting from the right disk in BIOS, my suspicions say that If you were booting in Vista on your Raid 0 and you installed to a separate 500 GiB drive, then you have to set BIOS to boot from that disk to allow GRUB to work ;) I don't know your particular PC, but, try holding down the DEL key when you first boot the computer - this will get you into BIOS where you can specify which hard drive to boot from. Usually it will be under BOOT OPTIONS. Do a little digging around in BIOS and make sure your booting from the 500GIB drive you installed to, when your done hit F10 to save to CMOS and exit :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5GHz 45nm/Gigabyte EP35C-DS3R M.B. w/ddr3 1333
G.Skill 2X1GB DDR3 1333MHz/Gigabyte 8800GT PCIe 2.0 512MB GDDR3 OC'd to 700Mhz/ WD160 gig, 2- WD250 gig in RAID-0 (500GB), WD640 gig e-SATA external

AMD 64 X2 3800+/ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe/G.Skill 2X1GB Matched Pair ddr400
/EVGA 6800GS Nvidia Graphics 256MB/WD160gig drive

HTPC Box:AMD 64 X2 4400+/ BIOSTAR TF7050PV HDMI MicroATX/G.Skill 2X1GB /Matched Pair DDR800/Integrated video and audio/WD160gig drive
DaddyX3
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.3 32 BIT

Return to Ultimate Edition 1.5