Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Best Way to Install New Version of Ultimate Edition

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Best Way to Install New Version of Ultimate Edition

Postby Zaileion » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Initially i was using the automatic process for partitioning my hard drive during installation, but after a while and well lets say a million re-installs i realized that splitting the "/" (root) and the "/home" partitions would provide some level of ease with keeping many changes I've made from install to re-install.

Problem is this is not a fool proof way of upgrading either as many of the changes made or software installations places files in both the /home and /root partitions.

So lets say i want to upgrade from 3.4.2 to 3.5.2. What would be the best way to go about this? How do i backup, what do i backup, and after upgrade how do i reapply the backup.

In other words, the Ultimate Edition Operating System requires a complete re-install each time i plan to upgrade, how do i do this without loosing my customizations, system settings and data?
Asus Rampage III Black Edition
Intel i7 Extreem X990
Corsair Dominator GT 12 GB RAM
LSI MEGARaid Controller 9271
2 Samsung 840 Pro SSD (RAID0)
ATI Radeon HD 6990
SoundBlaster X-FI Platinum Pro
Corsair 1200W Power Supply
Corsair Water Cooled CPU
Ultimate Edition 3.5.2 (LTS) / Windows 7 Ultimate
Zaileion
U.E. Pro
U.E. Pro

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Best Way to Install New Version of Ultimate Edition

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:30 am

Since Linux is constantly evolving many times previous settings in an earlier system will not work the same. However, it is a good thing since we get so many improvements in a short span of time. My only estimate on the advancement of Linux is seems it now advances at a rate of a year to each 6month increment. The same 13.04 OS in April is now the equivalent of using 12.04! This is the reason at many points distribution upgrades from say 12.10 to 13.04 or 13.04 to 13.10 tend to fail. Of course it also depends on the amount of programs and the fact of advancement on each. There are still programs that do not fit the above statement, but not very many. We are at one of the most exciting points in Linux as it has surpassed many of its competitors. Sure, I do get the point is a drag to loose some nice settings, but the gains on performance usually outweigh the loss! TheeMahn has been working on a way to upgrade without the loss, but is a very difficult task to undertake considering the statements I made above. One has to take into consideration developmental progress and rate and somehow be able to estimate the exact position. Not an easy deal in Linux by no means! Still if anyone in Linux is brilliant enough to accomplish this kind of feat, it would be TheeMahn! My money is always on him.

Now if we are talking about regular system settings many times you can simply use glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas. Simply type in sudo command before that on the systems you are trying to save from. Next go into usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas and locate file gschemas.compiled and save it to a flash. You can then put this in the next OS into the same file folder than type the command again, log out and back in system settings should be same as previous OS. Of course most times takes time, to me only seems a viable option when one is building an OS. Usually faster to just get into dconf and set away. Anyway just hope this may help and as always hope you enjoy each version of Ultimate, absolutely brilliant OS, something other Developers should strive for! I know I always will!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Return to Newbie's Corner