Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Help for People New To Linux

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Help for People New To Linux

Postby davedcd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 am

Could someone point me in the right direction for help and how to's for ultimate edition 3.5. There doesn't appear to be much documentation for beginners, unless I'm so new that I am missing something. I have only been using Linux for about 2 weeks now and I have tried several different distro's I would like to settle on Ultimate edition 3.5, but there needs to be more help for beginners. I have been with you know who (MS) since the 90's plus an MCSE, I have several business's that I support and an assortment of people with different levels of skills. Because you know who is no longer going to build a Small Business Server, and rising costs of licenses, and pushing people to the cloud (which I want nothing to do with) I have been looking for alternatives. I was hoping that Ultimate Edition was going to be it, but if I can;t find help and documentation I won't be able to support it or recommend it. I must say that as a new Linux user I am finding this to be true of most distro's and I feel that this is the biggest downfall to Linux and it is the biggest reason that other ms people don't use Linux. You all need to work on this and help to bring more people to Linux. I really do feel that NOW is the time that people are looking to get away from MS, but they are not going to if they can't find help and GOOD documentation
davedcd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Help for new people to Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 am

Linux is a perfect alternative but there will be confusion at first.

There is the Newbies Corner, but for setting up a server you need to query with base

For example, on Google

Setting up a Linux Server

Smalll business setups for Linux

query.png

The difference is you can get support from all over the world, and there is a very strong and knowledgable Linux base out there.

Personally, I wouldn't use Ultimate Edition 3.5 for this. I might use 3.4 Lite though.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby pam » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:39 am

Hello davedcd,
Welcome to Ultimate Edition forums.

Ultimate Edition is a linux distribution that is based on Ubuntu linux. Ubuntu linux again based on Debian.
Ubuntu linux is probably the most friendly to use.

Google search on ubuntu will yield tons of stuff.
Learning linux can be time consuming, patience is essential. Do not worry there is plenty of documentation and manuals..

For Installation..
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/installat ... index.html

Here is a guide..
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Precise

The ubuntu manual project..
http://ubuntu-manual.org/downloads

ubuntu server guide..
https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/

This forum itself has plenty of resources but acclimatize yourself with linux and its terminologies.

from terminal you can use commands like man, info and whatis to see what other commands can do..
DONOTSPAMORTROLL:
http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11
Download Ultimate Edition and Oz Unity 3.0 from copy:-
https://www.copy.com/s/oBnDBsDOvxF8jW1EuLKM/Public
Download Ultimate Edition from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultimat ... rce=navbar
Download Oz Unity 3.0 from sourceforge:-
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ueoz/files/UEOz/
Download Ultimate Edition torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Download Oz Unity 3.0 torrents from linuxtracker:-
http://linuxtracker.org/index.php?page= ... 0&active=1
Image Image
Visit:http://www.ultimateeditionoz.com
pam
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Xanayoshi and Pam

Postby davedcd » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Thank you both! Xanayoshi, I really do understand you stating that you would'nt recommend Ultimate, I've been trying to find a happy medium between novice users and well experienced ones. I know that the experienced ones would like some of the features in Ultimate Edition, but I just may go back to Ubuntu. I've tried at least 10 different distro's, some better for beginners than others. I will take to heart what you say about Ubuntu!
Pam, Thank you for the links and info! I'm checking them all out now. I've also got newbies corner up in a tab!

I want you both to know that I am learning, I've already figured out amd resolved some of the issues that I've had with Ultimate Edition, just because I don't quit!
davedcd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Micro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello Davedcd. I don't mean to barge in on your conversation, but any linux distro can be a server. Comming from Microsoft I will assume that you are use to GUI server management. Although microsoft does have core images without GUI's. With that said there are sever ways you can run services graphically. Just depends on what you are trying to provide. Even using Ultimate Edition you can install GADMIN (GUI for ProFTP) Tools and have an FTP server fully running in 5 minutes. Also a DNS, NAS, and so on and so on. Debian also makes a nice clean fast server too. (My Favorite) But I would have to say that the best place to start is OpenSuse. Yast has a great amount of GUI tools for all types of services and they are all pretty straight forward. Have a look at Turnkey Linux also for a more logical server approach. And they are Debian Also. Feel free to ask any questions about servers whether Linux, Solaris, HPUX, RHEL, Microsoft or pretty much anything. That is what I do for a living. Hope you feel welcome and look forward to future chats... 8-) BTW- there are tons of documentation for Debain Server and RedHatEnterprise Linux Server and they will apply to almost all varients built from them. Ex. RHEL Documentation applys to SUSE, Fedora, CentOS...
https://www.linkedin.com/in/josephperrello
Thermaltake Series Core X9 SPCC E-ATX Cube Case
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 64GB Quad Channel DDR4
EVGA 120-G1-0750-XR 80 PLUS GOLD 750W PSU
APC BR1300G Back-UPS Pro 780W/1300VA UPS
ASRock X99 Extreme4 LGA X99 Motherboard
OC-Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.1GHz × 12
Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler. 240mm
Kernel Linux 4.6.4-1-ARCH x86_64
MATE Desktop Environment 1.12.1
OS - SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB
DATA - 2 SSD 840 EVO RAID 0
MEDIA - 4 HDD 3TB RAID 0
NVIDIA GeForce GTX750 Ti
ViewSonic PJD7820HD
OS - Filesystem F2FS
Arch Linux
Micro
Site Admin

Operating System: Other Linux

Re: Help for People New To Linux

Postby Xanayoshi » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:39 pm

Bump

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby ryanvade » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi Davedcd,

I am responding to the bump ;)

First off, its great to have someone else running Linux. I thought I would add some things to this topic I have learned about Linux.

Remember, all distributions of Linux are LINUX. Ubuntu, fedora,opensuse, arch, they are all the same Operating system. The only difference is the preinstalled applications, service management, and package management. Nothing else. When choosing a Linux distribution, choose the one you configure LESS for your NEEDS. When you get more experience, many users choose distributions with fewer DEFAULTS. So they can customize their systems more, but it takes more time to configure those systems.

Linux is all about choice. Don't feel forced to use on version or another.

Linux has the LARGEST SUPPORT BASE. :D Better assistance requires a better Signature.

The system is usually as solid as the developer. No more.

There are many books that can teach the more advanced tools of LInux.

Linux supports more hardware.

KDE is generally the most WINDOWS LIKE Desktop Environment.

Servers run faster without GUI's, but are harder to manage. All servers should have some type of remote management. (From the local network ONLY) For quick management. SSH is the best for that purpose.

Not spending on the software lets you spend more on hardware.

I prefer Ubuntu server, but this is just my opinion.

Windows is for gaming. OSX SUCKS!!! :x

Ultimate Edition and Ultimate Edition Oz are AWESOME!!!

And last but not least. Linux is just as secure as OSX. Don't let Apple confuse you on that point.

If you need assistance, we are all here to help. No question is a stupid question. :mrgreen:

Laptop: HP dv6t-7000 CTO Desktop: Compaq Presario SR21632wm
i5 2450m Pentium D 960 @ 4 GHz
6 GB ram 2 GB ram
Intel HD 3000 Graphics / Nvidia GT 630M Nvidia GT 520 @ 820 MHz
Diamond II-B 3.10-rc4/Windows 7 Home Premium KDE | Windows 7 Starter/Arch Linux

Paid supporter of the Linux Foundation
ryanvade

Postby Brahim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:00 am

Welcome home davedcd :D Linux is easy-peasy don't worry a bit :D With Ultimate Edition you get everything ready and working like a charm just grab an iso and with Unetbootin install it to a USB and as soon as you start installing it, you'll release how easy it is :th_DANCE_417 :th_DANCE_417 :th_DANCE_417 :D
Brahim
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Postby davedcd » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:44 am

Thank you all for the great responses! I really like the attitude of Linux community way better than MS!
davedcd
davedcd
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:50 am

Ultimate has the best user manual but you have to open up brasero and then click on help. It will then go right to Ultimate's manual and you can spend hours days to learn just about everything there is to know about the system! TheeMahn and Blackwolf must have spent ages on it to collect and document as much information that is in that manual!!! It is the most impressive manual I have ever seen for any OS on this earth!!!!! Congratulations on finding the best distribution Linux has to offer!I am not giving a line, I am deadly serious! I have been through many OS's and this is the best due not only to its Community but its construction and its friendly user interface! Wish you the best and hope you will be happy with it, cause is a great move!!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Next

Return to Newbie's Corner