Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Can't find hard drives?

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Can't find hard drives?

Postby Luxx » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:29 am

I have used Ubuntu for several years and still don't know a lot of stuff, but after just installing Ultimate Edition, I feel just like I did the first time I looked at a Linux distro, basically, "HUH?" I really wasn't expecting it to be such a difference, especially since I have played with various flavors from time to time.

I have gotten used to moving between hard drives easily on Ubuntu, even when the other hard drives had a different OS. But on Ultimate Edition 3.5 I can't find my other drives at all. Oh... ok, I found them in the partition manager, and they are listed under removabele drives... but how do I mount them and look for stuff in there?

On the top of my list is restoring the ability to boot into Ububuntu. I made a little change to grub so I could install Ultimate Edition directly on another drive, which is what I'm using now. It was easier than a live usb and the installation was quicka nd smooth, but now I can't boot into my original drive anymore. It hangs before it gets to the splash screen and I get a grub recovery prompt. I'm thinking if I can get into the drive and undo what I did to the grub files I might get my original hard drive back. I thought that should be pretty simple.

Can someone please help me get into my first hdd? Thanks.
GIGABYTE FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz FM2 65W Dual-Core APU
with Radeon HD 7480D graphics
G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600
SATA drive 1: 200 GB -- Ubuntu 13.04, just isn't cutting it for me.
Luxx
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Re: Can't find hard drives?

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:16 am

Ultimate Edition is built from Ubuntu so the problems with Grub aren't exactly specific to this being a different OS, although there are certainly differences in execution of the presentation. That being said Welcome to Ultimate Edition, and hopefully we can get this sorted out. I am not exactly sure what this little change to grub you made that made it easier to install but I suspect perhaps it may have not. I would try using Rescatux http://www.supergrubdisk.org/rescatux/ to retrieve your image on the first HDD. Please list your hardware specifications in your signature so that others who are familiar may be of assistance.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Luxx » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:34 am

Um... I guess I wasn't clear. I didn't lose the image on my hard drive, I just can't boot to it anymore.
I have 3 hard drives. I used to boot into Ubuntu on the first one. I added a menuentry to the 40_custom file in the grub folder so it would boot from the UE3.5 ISO on that drive, so I could install it on the 3rd drive without having to create a live USB to install it. It was simple, fast, and effective.

Unfortunatley, now when I try to boot into the first hard drive, is doesn't boot. I get the grub menu instead, and that drive isn't listed on it now. It only has the kernels for the freshly installed third hard drive. When I go to the boot menu and select my first hard drive, it loads files and then hangs. After a minute or so I get a grub recovery prompt.

What I thought I was going to do was just boot into the freshly installed third hard drive and navigate to the first drive, go to the boot folder, and undo the changes I made to the custom_40 file, update grub, and then reboot. I'm not entirely sure that would have worked, but I can't even try it, because I can't mount my other drives in Ultimate Edition. How do I mount my drives?

EDIT: Grub issue is fixed. I reinstalled grub to sda from terminal in sdc (thanks to oldfred in Ubuntu Forums). As for mounting drives, I guess I don't have to stick with KDE. Gnome Classic puts icons for the drives in a convenient place and mount with a double-click. I'll have to check out the other DE options.
GIGABYTE FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) HDMI Micro ATX Motherboard
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz FM2 65W Dual-Core APU
with Radeon HD 7480D graphics
G.SKILL 4GB DDR3 1600
SATA drive 1: 200 GB -- Ubuntu 13.04, just isn't cutting it for me.
Luxx
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:38 am

ahh, ok, I see what you were trying to do now, I was a little confused as to how you went about it. Generally when I do my multiple drive setups, I disconnect everything but the one I am working on....just in case. After I am finished I reconnect, power on and it will load as normal without the newly added drive configuration on grub. Once I am in the first internal drive OS I run update-grub and grub finds all the new images and lists them in grub. Then I go into grub customizer and edit the entries to suit my needs. My experience with Rescatux comes from trying to do it all at once with everything connected but when mistakes are made they can be crippling. What Rescatux does is load the images, I hadn't meant they were "lost" to me or you but to Grub.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:42 am

Sheepishly, I must admit, I have never used live USB for..anything.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby BBOSAK2143 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Little surprised you don"t load by usb Xan! Personally, I got spoiled with unetbootin on Ultimate and would just load that way, works quite nice and no disks to waste! Now I would never be without it! In fact most software on my OS is identical to Ultimate and will guarantee the reason it does just as well! TheeMahn knew the best and put it together the best!!!! Of course is a step above mine as I do not possess that great of knowledge! Still it runs great! Luxx am very curious on your setup and would love links for it! I am sure there are other users here that might find it interesting and helpful also. Not all of us can run just one hard drive at all points in time. There are times when it can be necessary to run more, so yes would be great to have the information!!!
Firm believer in Asus, Linux and Technology
"Art is to be enjoyed by all that enjoy it"
Asus M5A97 Plus motherboard
AMD FX 4350 Processor
Asus R7250 2GD5 graphics card
16gig DDR3-1333
2TB Hitachi Hard Drive
24in Asus VE248 LED Monitor
OS=My 8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops=Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
Warp Speed!
ASUS Laptop R503U
AMD E2-1800
ATI HD7340
4gig Memory
500gig Hitachi HD
OS= Win7 SP1/8th OS Star Trek(Ubuntu 16.04)
Desktops Gnome 3.20 and LXDE
2nd 500gig Seagate HD R.I.P
BBOSAK2143
U.E. God
U.E. God

Return to Newbie's Corner