Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Compiz effects not working on Ultimate Edition 3.01 (Radeon driver issue?)

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Compiz effects not working on Ultimate Edition 3.01 (Radeon driver issue?)

Postby DutchShrek » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi all
I had to post here I think because I am after all a newb.

I installed Ultimate Edition 3.01 this morning and during the LiveCD version of Ultimate Edition I had all the effects that come with Compiz.
However, after installing and rebooting the system, those effects were all gone. In CCSM the cube and such are indeed enabled so I'm not sure what I'm missing.
Then it occurred to me that perhaps the drivers for my GPU are not properly updated? I'm not sure if that's it though, because if it's working in livecd then wouldn't that mean the drivers are included?
But the issue there is as well that I do not know how to update them, or what to update them with.
If I go to AMD.com and download the drivers for my card I get a .run file and I'm not sure if that is what I should be doing.
So before I try to run that from the terminal (which requires googling of its own) I figured I'd ask if those are the drivers I need to begin with.

I'd like to add that my GPU is a Radeon HD 5570
DutchShrek
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Compiz effects not working on Ultimate Edition 3.01 (Rad

Postby DutchShrek » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Oh wait, I just found that script Compiz-Check and ran it

So it is a driver issue

Code: Select all
Gathering information about your system...

Distribution:          Linux Mint
 Desktop environment:   GNOME
 Graphics chip:         ATI Technologies Inc Redwood PRO [Radeon HD 5500 Series]
 Driver in use:         vesa
 Rendering method:      AIGLX

Checking if it's possible to run Compiz on your system...  [SKIP]

Checking for hardware/setup problems...           [SKIP]

At least one check had to be skipped:
 Error: vesa driver in use

Would you like to know more? (Y/n) y

The vesa driver is not capable of running Compiz, you need to install
 the proper driver for your graphics card.
DutchShrek
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby synrgy87 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:18 pm

yeah the .run file is correct aslong as u downloaded the 32bit version.

just type
sudo ./amd_name_of_file(if you hit tab it should auto fill out the rest of the file name).run
in the console and it will ask you for your password then it will start the installer.

i have HD5830's i didnt have you're issue, at the top corner (near clock) there should be the compiz fusion icon, right click on that and go to "select window manager" and make sure "compiz" is selected and not "metacity".

the latest catalyst drivers are working well so far

hope that helps :)

ALSO dont forget! when the driver is installed in the terminal type
sudo aticonfig --initial

Before you restart :)

this sets up a basic display configuration, you can then set your options resolution etf from the catalyst control centre (under system>preferences)
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Postby DutchShrek » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:48 pm

synrgy87 you rock!

Thanks a lot for the advice.
The window manager was set to compiz but I think for some reason it had not loaded correctly. So even though it was checked I simply clicked on it again and there it was, all the effects in full glory.

But since compiz-check told me I had the wrong drivers I installed that run file for good measure.
I do have to say that sudo command did not work. Something about command not found.
So I looked around and saw a suggestion on ubuntuforums about doing
chmod +x file.run
followed by
./file.run

And that started the install.

Still, thanks a lot. I realize this should have been a simple solution but I would not have figured it out this fast.
DutchShrek
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby synrgy87 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:55 pm

oh yeah i forgot about that step, basically all the chmod does is set the permissions so you are able to run it, forgot to mention that you can also do it by right clicking the .run file (or any file you download) >properties>permissions> then tick allow executing file as program :D my bad there :roll: !

<BREW> :lol:
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
8GB (2x4gb) Kingston HyperX DDR1600

160GB Hitachi deskstar(os and boot) 1TB deskstar(data) 1TB WD USB drive(backup+)
2x XFX ATI 5830 1024mb in crossfire
Saitek Eclipse keyboard + Saitek Cyborg V3 mouse + Thrustmaster T.Flight HotasX

Acer 23" HDTV/monitor + AOC 21"
Xigmatek Midgard Case.
multibooting all sorts + Ultimate Edition 3.5 / BlackOpal64 / windies 7 home premium 64bit
synrgy87
U.E. Graduate
U.E. Graduate

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.5 64 BIT

Return to Newbie's Corner