Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Teaching Linux in High School - Need Ideas

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Teaching Linux in High School - Need Ideas

Postby jonluc1 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:51 pm

Hello everyone!

I am the Director and teacher in our High School's I.T. Academy. I have added a Linux/Alternate O.S. class to my schedule. What I am looking for is some great curriculum or projects for high school kids interested in open-source (basically anything not MS). All students are familiar with DistroWatch and have loaded a few different Linux Distro's - including Ultimate Edition 3.0 - but I need to go beyond this.

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated! I did not find any good pre-built curriculum for this age group so I will be building the class myself.

Thanks!

jonluc1
jonluc1
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Teaching Linux in High School - Need Ideas

Postby onosendai58 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 pm

jonluc1 wrote:Hello everyone!

I am the Director and teacher in our High School's I.T. Academy. I have added a Linux/Alternate O.S. class to my schedule. What I am looking for is some great curriculum or projects for high school kids interested in open-source (basically anything not MS). All students are familiar with DistroWatch and have loaded a few different Linux Distro's - including Ultimate Edition 3.0 - but I need to go beyond this.

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated! I did not find any good pre-built curriculum for this age group so I will be building the class myself.

Thanks!

jonluc1

As far as good distros for a learning environment, I have to recommend openSuSE Edu-Life and UberStudent. They can also build their own distros, using SuSEGallery/SuSEStudio.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby dougal » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:43 am

You might want to browse the Open University web site. They have a course T155 - Linux an introduction. Which looks at the whole Linux idea through to building a system.
I intend taking this course myself later this year even though I have been working with Linux since the nineties.
I feel I don't have enough ground rules drilled into me to be disciplined enough to start looking at Linux problems the way others do.
My method has often been try this or try that and I am hoping that this course will set me straight once and for all.

Good luck with your venture - it sounds very exciting getting the next generation of entrepreneurs and engineers and even house wives and house husbands into totally free software with the where-with-all to effect computing the way they see fit and not the big companies way of profit first never mind what the people want.

Sorry, rabbiting on again...
It will be interesting to see where the journey takes you - and the kids.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby jonluc1 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks for your suggestions!

I work in a school with 60% reduced or free lunches and an 18% homeless student rate. (Homeless means they do not have a permanent address - they are usually moving from relative to relative - not that they are outside on the street...) I have rebuilt older systems so students can have technology but there is no way I/they can afford MSFT. Open source is the obvious answer.

If you have any other ideas send them on!

Thanks!
jonluc1
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby dougal » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Sorry Jon - completely missed your drift...
I haven't looked into it much otherwise. I plumped for the OU course because I have done a couple of others and they were easy to follow.
I'm sure I have seen what you are looking for somewhere. If I can remember, I will check it out and come back to you.

Good luck with your very worthwhile efforts.
ImageImage

Serious Ultimate Edition user with little talent but, stacks of enthusiasm and willing to help anyone as much as I humbly can...
Main OS: Ultimate Edition 2.6 on all my machines (can't live without Emerald)
On probation OS: 3.5 64-bit
dougal
Site Admin

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:29 am

as a project i would get the students to install arch linux or gentoo . i personally love arch but to set it up initially can be challenging, get them to install it and get it up and running and maybe explain step by step what they are installing and how it is affecting the system :D
you could take them through same basics of compiling as well ;)
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Postby onosendai58 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Hawks-SOAD wrote:as a project i would get the students to install arch linux or gentoo . i personally love arch but to set it up initially can be challenging, get them to install it and get it up and running and maybe explain step by step what they are installing and how it is affecting the system :D
you could take them through same basics of compiling as well ;)

Too hard, right off the bat, IMO. Let them each build their own distro with openSuSE`s studio, easy to do and, most of all, fun. Then go from there. I can`t stress openSuSE Edu-Life enough.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby confezzor » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 pm

Well you can teach them the basic principles of Linux and the it's history. I have many different Videos on GUN/LInux Documentaries, in which open the mind up to opensource. Watching Videos are always a Super Plus when it comes to kids. And eventually down the line you can talk about different career paths they can take in the IT field. Such as myself wanting to become a pentester which lead me to computer security. But I think Videos at first will keep the kids minds to what you are trying to teach them, but just like a few ppl just said OpenSuSe will be the best distro to go with cause when you go and take a Linux course they use OpenSuSe as the distro of chose for all the students in the class. Good luck, I hope Linux/opensource will change they lives just as it has changed mines for the better..
confezzor
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Newbie's Corner