Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Ubuntu 2.9 won't reboot after install

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Ubuntu 2.9 won't reboot after install

Postby Hornbeck » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:12 am

Newbie here trying to load Ultimate 2.9 for the first time. I am trying to load it along side of Win Xp so I can learn Ubuntu before I switch over. It installed just fine but when it came time to reboot... it didn't. I waited an hour and a half and all I saw was a fiery looking background and the Ultimate Edition emblem, no disk ativity. When I finally turned off my machine then back on again it booted into Windows. There was no boot menu options to choose Ubuntu or Windows.

I tried another install and the same thing happened.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Harry
Hornbeck
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 32 BIT

Re: Ubuntu 2.9 won't reboot after install

Postby merquis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:13 pm

If its the messed-up/black/blank screen issue try installing with "nomodeset" option by pressing F6 before install: (can someone confirm Ultimate Edition has this?, as i cant test the current release's :? )

dgfdgrunningoraclevmvir.png

It could also be a disk issue, when i downloaded the Ultimate Edition 2.9 (x64) ISO From source-forge (3 attempts) the file size didn't match the volume size and it failed to burn properly - im guessing this is either a Source forge issue or just my internet :mrgreen: .
........... .--.
..........|o_o |
..........|:_/ |
.........//.....\ \
.......(|........| )
......./'\_...._/`\
......\___)=(___/
merquis
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby Hornbeck » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Thanks for your replies

The system I'm trying to install this on is a Dell GX602, 3.4ghz CPU, 3 gb ram. I am installing on a 500gb hard drive, the same drive Windows resides. When I go through the install process I let the software choose the partition. The installation seems to go smoothly, no stalls or hiccups but when it comes time to reboot the CD pops out then it sits there as I wait.

My knowledge of of Linux and Ubuntu is limited, I've known about Linux for a few years but never looked into it till now. I've watched many videos on YouTube and read a lot of documentation trying to get a better understanding but I am still learning. I really want to get this installed so I can eventually switch from Windows.

Thanks,
Harry
Hornbeck
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Hornbeck » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Thanks Blackwolf,

I watched the video and I hate to be a pain but I realized that it is for Ubuntu 9.04 and I'm trying to install Ultimate 2.9. I didn't see a place to edit the partition as it shows in the video or to add the Windows name or the root for Ubuntu. In fact when I tried to select the partition manually I got an error asking for the root but I couldn't find how to do that so I backed up and just let the software do it. I can see that, that may be where my problem lies.

I guess I'm a little nervous to try this a third time.

Harry
Hornbeck
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Moebius » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:47 am

Hi Harry,
It may or may not be useful info but...
Everytime I have installed U.E or Ubuntu on a laptop, I usually get a message on the screen (after DVD ejected), that says press [Enter] to continue. On some laptops this message does not appear. I hit the [Enter] button anyway and it proceeds to propper shutdown and restart.
I wonder if this may be your issue? It could be that final stage which finalises the install?
Sorry but that's all I've got at the moment...

Cheers.
GNOME 3.2.1
Oz Unity Developement (32) Kernel 15
Moebius Custom Gothic
Intel DG33FB Mainboard
Intel Core2Duo E8400
Amicroe 2 x 1Gb DDR2
WD 250Gb Sata II WD2500AAKS (O/S)
WD 500Gb Sata II WD5000AAKS (Data)
LG Super Multi DVDRW
GeForce 8600GT PCI-E 16x 512Mb 540 MHz

Ultimate Edition Australia___Ultimate Edition Israel____Ultimate Facebook
Moebius
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Hornbeck » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 am

hhhmmmm interesting thought there Moebius..... I know I tried pressing some keys trying to wake it up even ctrl-alt-delete, a long shot I know but I can't say I tried the enter key. Also now that I think about it I may need to set my power options to not shut down my hard drives. I ran into a similar thing when I cloned a drive earlier this year.

Thanks for your reply and suggestion,
Harry
Hornbeck
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby Reticent » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:44 pm

Hornbeck, how well acquainted are you with the GpartEd tool? :?:
Before you install UEv2.9, is your hard drive formatted with more than one partition?
(forum's Glass style helped readability during dark-shift - wish I remembered how to set it!)
Reticent
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other O/S

Postby Hornbeck » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't know anything about GpartED.

My hard drive is partitioned and the one that I'm trying to install to is empty.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should abandon my quest to install the ultimate edition.

Thanks ,
Harry
Hornbeck
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby billhedrick » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:24 pm

OK have you done any googling? thats fine, take a look at this one and see if it helps

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2010/11/04/ho ... windows-7/
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby Reticent » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:24 pm

Courage! UEv2.9 will install to XP for dual-boot - it plays nicer than Windows! It'll even boot to a logical partition in an extended volume.
(GpartEd is just a good partioning tool, relax.) :)
Some people split their Linux installation into several partitions - for root, home, and swap, for example. If you get a question about where "root" is supposed to be, it's only because it doesn't see a partition that's already designated for it. It's looking for a "mount point", which is a kind of label that tells Linux where to add the partition into the file-system. In this context, "root" refers to the base of the file-system tree.
(Sorry if I'm running on too much. :oops: ) Of course, it should know where to put the mount point if it's been pointed at only one partition for the entire filesystem ... hm.
Is this helping?
(forum's Glass style helped readability during dark-shift - wish I remembered how to set it!)
Reticent
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Other O/S

Next

Return to Newbie's Corner