Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

RE: support

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

RE: support

Postby Formido » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:58 pm

Someone on another forum mentioned that Ultimate Edition 2.9 is based on Ubuntu 10.10, and "due to the ubuntu lifecycle will only be supported until Apr 2012". I often wondered just what 'end of life' and 'end of support' means in Linux distros? What sort of problems will this cause?
Formido
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Re: RE: support

Postby onosendai58 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:02 pm

Formido wrote:Someone on another forum mentioned that Ultimate Edition 2.9 is based on Ubuntu 10.10, and "due to the ubuntu lifecycle will only be supported until Apr 2012". I often wondered just what 'end of life' and 'end of support' means in Linux distros? What sort of problems will this cause?

Basically, that official support ends. This doesn`t mean you can`t continue using the version for as long as you want. Usually by then the user has updated to the newer version, thus less work maintaining the older. For example some people are still running Hardy Heron, which long ago reached EOL status, and doing so quite happily.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Postby Formido » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:57 pm

So what all does "official support" entail that makes it so special? Other guy sounded like is was some big hazard to use release no longer supported or "end of life".
Formido
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition Beta Tester

Postby onosendai58 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:11 pm

Formido wrote:So what all does "official support" entail that makes it so special? Other guy sounded like is was some big hazard to use release no longer supported or "end of life".

Apart from possible security issues regarding outdated software, nothing really. Perhaps a new app won`t run with an older OS. That`s about it.
I love Ultimate Edition & Oz Unity
onosendai58
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby pch.shot » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:43 am

Off-Topic :
I use Windows XP which came out in 2001 and when I have to re-install it I don't even bother to update it! It works fine! If your happy with an operating system stick with it!
Last edited by Xanayoshi on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:38 pm

End of life is more detrimental in terms of apt-get. The repositories will no longer be available and you will have to compile to keep your software updated.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

Packard Bell Pack Mate II 286 Intel 80286 1MB RAM
ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.4 32 BIT

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:42 pm

pch.shot wrote:
Off-Topic :
I use Windows XP which came out in 2001 and when I have to re-install it I don't even bother to update it! It works fine! If your happy with an operating system stick with it!

Off-Topic :
This isn't exactly true either, if you are using the original XP install you will have to upgrade to do things like get on the internet, this only applies if you have an XP install with service packs ready, for example, sp2, sp3.

And now, the completely true facts, as told by an anonymous man hiding behind a screen name:

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Postby Xanayoshi » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:00 pm

To Translate somewhat,

Long Term Support is relatable to how long you can use Ubuntu Repository Sources
:downthere
sources.png

If these sources are offline, you can no longer apt-get, now you can upgrade the distribution, which will change these sources, but you may have issues if you do not remove any added repositories, and it is usually advised to start with a fresh install.

You will see mention of this because 10.04 and 10.10 were previous to the introduction of Gnome 3/Unity, so when you did a dist-upgrade to 11.04, horrible things happened, most notably the loss of Gnome 2.

You can run without the repository and maintain an older version by compiling from source.

Systems that are not so dependant on running the latest desktops and applications(servers) are not as affected.

ImageImageImage
Xanayoshi

Return to Newbie's Corner