Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

What Kernel ? I'm confused.

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

What Kernel ? I'm confused.

Postby garagestmarien » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:25 am

The system I am using is in my signature.
What I am hoping to get from this topic, is what is the best Kernel for my system.

Like a lot of people, (my set up is now old and behind the times and until I have the money to get an i7 rig, with next doors house to hold all the memory and drives etc :lol: ), I want all the eye candy and best performance I can get.

I have tried other distro's and some are really fast, but boring :? , Some are really really bloated, some won't load (99% of the time it's Debian based for me) and everything else in between.

I was running UE2.9 as my main system and just have to admit (for me) there just isn't anything out there that comes close to the quality.
But I did have a problem a while ago, a program called Stellarium, I've used it in other distro's without problem, but in 2.9 it just wouldn't run (see previous post).
But yesterday while reading about UE2.6.3 being fast (and having Ultimate player) I thought I'd give it a try while I wait for UE3.0 to become available.
I can't say I have noticed any speed difference, but can say that Stellarium works properly.
Why in 2.6.3 and not in 2.9. My guess could be the kernel version (and I know, maybe a lot of other things).

So I post this as I am trying to figure out if there is a way to determine what is the best kernel to run on my system. (present 2.6.32-34 generic).
I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.
Acer Aspire SA60, Intel Celeron 2.8ghz, 2gig ram, 1x80gig (xp), 1x80gig (UE2.9) & 1x100gig (Storage) hard drives,ATi 9600 pro graphic card (agp), 22" lcd monitor @ 1680x1050res. Running dual boot Win XP and Ultimate Edition 2.9 on seperate drives.
Even for this rig, performance is good and all 3d works nice.
garagestmarien
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: What Kernel ? I'm confused.

Postby pch.shot » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:17 pm

The most recent kernel is usually the best choice.
Systems Windows XP Pro 32 bit & various Linux in Virtual Box and VMWare Player
Intel i7 2600K cpu with built in Intel 3000 video
1 OCZ Vertex 3 120 gig ssd(System)
1 Western Digital 2 Terabyte Green internal hard drive(Storage)
Kingston ddr3 1333 ram(4 gig)
MSI Z68A-GD80(G3)mobo w/hdmi video and optical audio
Realtek HD audio
Realtek lan
1 LG sata optical drive
Antec Sonata IV case/620 watt psu
50 inch LG plasma tv/monitor
Sony surround sound amp
Axiom speakers
optical sound
pch.shot
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Microsoft Windows

Re: What Kernel ? I'm confused.

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:43 pm

It is a VERY well known FACT that support for older tech starts to be dropped to make way for newer tech on newer kernels.

Finding a newer kernel that will support your hardware will take testing on your part.

Some times you get lucky , newest kernel might still have support for your aging hardware.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Return to Newbie's Corner