Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Stellarium problem

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Stellarium problem

Postby garagestmarien » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:47 pm

I installed Stellarium via software centre and as far as I can see, everything went okay.
But I cannot open it.
I have tried from the menu and from the icon I put on the launcher bar.
Clicking on either just gives a flash of something happening in the bottom panel and then nothing.
I un-installed it via software manager and tried re-installing via synaptic, but that has made no difference.
Just about every other program launches okay on my system (I'll probably be using Ultimate Edition 3.0, long before I get to use all of the software with 2.9).
Can anyone help?

I also have a request:
Would it be possible to have a software section on this forum, as I'm not sure where to post these type of questions.
I mean, I won't always be a Newbie or will I :?:
Acer Aspire SA60, Intel Celeron 2.8ghz, 2gig ram, 1x80gig (xp), 1x80gig (UE2.9) & 1x100gig (Storage) hard drives,ATi 9600 pro graphic card (agp), 22" lcd monitor @ 1680x1050res. Running dual boot Win XP and Ultimate Edition 2.9 on seperate drives.
Even for this rig, performance is good and all 3d works nice.
garagestmarien
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: Stellarium problem

Postby Meister » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:18 pm

Ok gonna try to help .. this is what i did and it works but then again i'm not running UE2.9.

open the terminal and input the following

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install stellarium

follow prompts and let me know how it goes.
Meister
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby dathem » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:24 pm

Hello, Stellarium is not a program I am familiar with, so I installed it on my HP 6 core unit ( I am using that unit now) it installed fine and I was able to open and play around with the program. I am using Ultimate Edition 2.9, so I think it is save to say that the program as it comes from the Repo is good. So, the problem is probably something with your computer, maybe a memory issue or graphics card memory issue, but that is only a guess on my part. Can you open other large programs that use a lot of memory like Gimp, etc??
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby garagestmarien » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:22 pm

@Meister
I tried that way, but sadly it has made no difference.
I did notice (when I un-installed via synaptic I chose complete removal) that it said in terminal, installing previously deleted package.

@dathem

There doesn't appear to be any other program that I cannot run.
I have had Firefox open with 12 tabs, openshot video editor (using inkscape and blender), gimp, thunderbird and transferring 20 gig music from one hard drive to my home/music folder - all at the same time and without problems.
I also has task manager open and was using 100% cpu and about 420mb of my 2 gig memory.

I have run this program in windows and a lot of other distro's (including ubuntu 11.04) without problem.
All my 3d, (wobbly windows, explosions, fading and everything else) runs just short of perfect. In fact much better than I expected, as when I used ubuntu, I could only use classic mode as it said my graphics weren't up to it.

I guess it's something I can live without, as I don't want to sacrifice everything else that's running fine.

John
Acer Aspire SA60, Intel Celeron 2.8ghz, 2gig ram, 1x80gig (xp), 1x80gig (UE2.9) & 1x100gig (Storage) hard drives,ATi 9600 pro graphic card (agp), 22" lcd monitor @ 1680x1050res. Running dual boot Win XP and Ultimate Edition 2.9 on seperate drives.
garagestmarien
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Meister » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:33 pm

3.0 will be around pretty soon ...
Meister
Site Admin

Postby mech » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:26 am

Hello,
I'm not trying to spam some ads here but if you can't get stellarium to work and you would still like a planetarium software, I've put skychart/cartes du ciel on UE2.9. It's not as pretty but it seem to be more functional. The web site has .deb packages and instructions for installation. http://www.ap-i.net/skychart/start
A lighter one, also not as pretty, named night vision is available here. http://www.nvastro.com/nvj.html
I can't vouch for it on linux, I've only used it in xp, but it's written in java and claims to be cross platform. Good luck.
mech
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby garagestmarien » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 am

@Blackwolf

Tried that, but still the same I'm afraid.
Strange and frustrating that it runs on XP :evil:

@mech
Thanks for the links, I tried Skychart, but can't get it in synaptic as the key on the website is not valid.
I'll try the other one later.
garagestmarien
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby Hawks-SOAD » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:56 am

Go to your Terminal and start the program from it
Code: Select all
stellarium

post the output the terminal gives :D
My Rig
Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 965, 3400 MHz
His Ati Radeon 5770 (one more to go)
4gb of Kingston 9905403-011.A03LF ddr 3 ram
Realtek ALC885/889A/890 Hd Audio
Esata
Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E
250gb samsung sata 2.0 HDD
1 TB Seagate HDD

"walk softly and carry a big gun"
"life is only as hard as you make it to be"
"Ultimate Edition 2.8 is Ubuntu on steroids; lots and lots of steroids. You pretty much get it all with this badboy of a distro"
Currently dual booting :D Ultimate Edition and Windoze 7

Hawks-SOAD

Operating System: Other Linux

Return to Newbie's Corner