Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

update

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

update

Postby boru » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:34 pm

hi all,after doing an update im getting a screen with "login" and "password".
i input both and it then says upgrade to "natty".
will this upgrade wipe Ultimate Edition 2.9 completely?
as i dont want to lose UE2.9 how then do i get past this boot screen?
cheers. :?
boru
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Re: update

Postby dathem » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:42 pm

boru wrote:hi all,after doing an update im getting a screen with "login" and "password".
i input both and it then says upgrade to "natty".
will this upgrade wipe Ultimate Edition 2.9 completely?
as i dont want to lose UE2.9 how then do i get past this boot screen?
cheers. :?

Hello, Please do not upgrade to Natty, you will lose Ultimate Edition 2.9 if you upgrade. When you see that screen, just click the NO box and agree that you don't want to upgrade to Natty. It should then disappear and you should not see it again. dathem
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby boru » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 pm

thanks dathem,
i didnt see any box to tick for no?
but i will have another go.
cheers.
boru
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby boru » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:04 pm

no dathem,after login and password
it goes straight on to a prompt,waiting for me to input a command,
but i dont know what command to enter to carry on and load UE2.9.
boru
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby dathem » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:50 pm

boru wrote:no dathem,after login and password

Hello, I am unsure as to what you would be seeing/getting after login and password. You should not normally get to a place to enter a command at that point. Since you are not getting to the desktop you can't take a screen shot to show me. You mentioned doing an update/upgrade in the beginning, was your system working correctly before you did the update/upgrade? If it was working then something went wrong, very wrong. You may be better off re-installing Ultimate Edition 2.9, I realize you may not want to do that. Hopefully someone else may offer a suggestion before you have to do a re-install. Though re-installing Ultimate Edition 2.9 is not difficult and the more often you try the easier it becomes. I can get my system back up from a fresh install of Ultimate Edition 2.9 within a few hours or less depending on the internet connection at that time.
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby boru » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 am

dathem wrote:

Hello, I am unsure as to what you would be seeing/getting after login and password. You should not normally get to a place to enter a command at that point. Since you are not getting to the desktop you can't take a screen shot to show me. You mentioned doing an update/upgrade in the beginning, was your system working correctly before you did the update/upgrade? If it was working then something went wrong, very wrong. You may be better off re-installing Ultimate Edition 2.9, I realize you may not want to do that. Hopefully someone else may offer a suggestion before you have to do a re-install. Though re-installing Ultimate Edition 2.9 is not difficult and the more often you try the easier it becomes. I can get my system back up from a fresh install of Ultimate Edition 2.9 within a few hours or less depending on the internet connection at that time.

thanks dathem,its booting to UE2.9 splash screen,then it goes to a screen prompting me for login and password,and then its waiting for me to input something. im sure when i updated i did not ask to upgrade to natty.
boru
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby billhedrick » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:12 am

I have had that happen with installs... I think you have a bad install, you should back up your home folder, if there is anything in there and I would reinstall.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby dathem » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:17 am

boru wrote:
dathem wrote:

thanks dathem,its booting to UE2.9 splash screen,then it goes to a screen prompting me for login and password,and then its waiting for me to input something. im sure when i updated i did not ask to upgrade to natty.

Since you can't get to the desktop and IF you had any files you may need to boot up from the "Live Ultimate Edition disk" and save anything to an external hard drive or flash drive. Then I would re-install Ultimate Edition, probably even download the Ultimate Edition 2.9 ISO file and start from scratch. Something went wrong, the pop up window that UBUNTU throughs out to upgrade to Natty could have made you click the wrong box by the way that it is worded. Sorry but it seems that a re-install would be best.
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Postby bpollen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:19 am

I would try typing "startx" at the prompt and see if that gets you to a desktop. If that's the case, all it probably requires is to have the graphics driver reinstalled. That's been the fix most of the time I have found myself in that position.

Though I have to say, your mileage may vary.
44.934157796653814, -93.22175949811935
bpollen

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Postby boru » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm

thanks all,
i took a backup of my photos and home folder using the live dvd,and have just done a new install.
everything looks ok now.
thanks again!
boru
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Next

Return to Newbie's Corner