Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

I updated nVidia drivers and now "appearance" doesn't work.

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

I updated nVidia drivers and now "appearance" doesn't work.

Postby ozone » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:30 pm

So before I loaded the nVidia drivers, I customized the window boarders, the colors, the pointer, etc. I got it looking just the way I wanted. I loved it. After much research and many attempts, I finally loaded the nVidia drivers for my video card and all of the special effects started working. They look cool and I love them, however, now I can't change the boarder around the windows, the cursor only changes when I'm hovering over a program. In the OS it stays the rotating gold arrow, which I don't like and even though the sound works, sometimes it just doesn't make any sounds when it used to, like the start-up sound effect and clicking sound effects.

Can anyone tell me how to get my appearance setting to work again? I don't like the boarder I am stuck on.

Thanks.
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.0 Lite

Re: I updated nVidia drivers and now "appearance" doesn't wo

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 am

Chances are your new driver lacked support for your gpu. Newer isn't always better :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Purge and just go back to the drivers that worked. You can use synaptic to purge the unwanted newer drivers. Then restart and activate the ones that worked.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby ozone » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:50 am

The driver is the only one that supports my new card.

Also, I can't say it "worked" before, which is why I updated. I have an nVidia GTX570. It's pretty new.

I'd kind of like to use the special effects AND customize my desktop. Any other ideas?
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:36 am

Code: Select all
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

sudo nvidia-xconfig

This should added the latest and greatest , also configure all in one.
pclinuxguru is deceased.R.I.P
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ozone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:58 am

Thanks for the reply. I did what you said and now I'm back to being able to adjust the border and the cursor of the screen resolution is lower and I can't use the visual effects. I don't know which is worse.

Anyone have a suggestion that will allow me to use both?
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby ozone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:09 am

Plus I get an error every time I boot, "Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode."
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby ozone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:36 am

In the GRUB file, due to the way I loaded the driver in before, this line is still there. Would that cause your method not to work?

"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:06 am

ozone wrote:In the GRUB file, due to the way I loaded the driver in before, this line is still there. Would that cause your method not to work?

"GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

All ya did was just update the repository to use the newest possible driver. It should have worked, I am wondering if nomodeset is effecting it .

Might pay to purge all nvidia drivers and all x configs. Start over from scratch.

I have seen bad configs get stuck before. Just remove all xorg configs. Use synaptic to completely remove drivers.

Before you restart do a fresh install. < but make sure all your xorg configs have been removed before you fresh install.
pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby pclinuxguru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 pm

pclinuxguru
U.E. God
U.E. God

Postby ozone » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Update.

Ok, part of the problem was my lack of understanding about how to change appearance. I was going to System>preferences>appearance. This worked when I did not have a driver. After loading the driver, I eventually made my way to the Compiz Fusion Icon at the top of the desktop. Using Emerald Theme Manager allowed me to edit the look, but it had limitations. The way I had it set up was not available in Emerald. I chanced upon the Window Decorator Feature and selected the GTK option, which allowed me to put it back to the way I liked. However, the cursor still won't stick with that and I didn't see an option for cursor at all in Emerald.

Anyway, it is much more usable now. Thank you for the help.

But I have to wonder, what is the "cursor selection" option under System for? It just shows what's available?
ozone
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Return to Newbie's Corner