Are you a spammer

Please note, that the first 3 posts you make, will need to be approved by a forum Administrator or Moderator before they are publicly viewable.
Each application to join this forum is checked at the Stop Forum Spam website. If the email or IP address appears there when checked, you will not be allowed to join this forum.
If you get past this check and post spam on this forum, your posts will be immediately deleted and your account inactivated.You will then be banned and your IP will be submitted to your ISP, notifying them of your spamming. So your spam links will only be seen for an hour or two at most. In other words, don't waste your time and ours.

This forum is for the use and enjoyment of the members and visitors looking to learn about and share information regarding the topics listed. It is not a free-for-all advertising venue. Your time would be better spent pursuing legitimate avenues of promoting your websites.

Advice for a noobie?

The Ultimate Guide for the rest of us

Advice for a noobie?

Postby extremejosh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:37 am

Ok ill start by saying hello to everyone from ultimate edition. I just installed the 2.7 version after some persistent problems with 2.8. I'm still a big Linux noob and I'm totally lost as to what i should do. i know the basics like update with update manager and install the install the drivers from hardware driver menu but is there anything else i should be doing to configure my system also 90% of these programs i have no clue what are, the ones preinstalled, so if you guys had something like a list of the programs and info bout that would be awesome if not ill eventually learn them not that big a deal. So again Linux noob just looking for advice and introducing himself i know i still have a lot to learn about Linux but seeing your guys distro i had to get it and to my surprise it runs just as fast as any other out there.

OK thanks for reading this and thanks for any advice you decide to post
extremejosh
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 64 BIT

Re: Advice for a noobie?

Postby billhedrick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:34 am

Well there are a couple ways to figure out what the programs do, but the best way IMHO, is to try them. Also if you are wondering about say "Audacity" I would suggest googling "Audacity ubuntu" and see what you find.
billhedrick
Site Admin

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 3.2 32 BIT

Postby dathem » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 am

extremejosh wrote:Ok ill start by saying hello to everyone from ultimate edition. I just installed the 2.7 version after some persistent problems with 2.8. I'm still a big Linux noob and I'm totally lost as to what i should do. i know the basics like update with update manager and install the install the drivers from hardware driver menu but is there anything else i should be doing to configure my system also 90% of these programs i have no clue what are, the ones preinstalled, so if you guys had something like a list of the programs and info bout that would be awesome if not ill eventually learn them not that big a deal. So again Linux noob just looking for advice and introducing himself i know i still have a lot to learn about Linux but seeing your guys distro i had to get it and to my surprise it runs just as fast as any other out there.

OK thanks for reading this and thanks for any advice you decide to post

Hello extremejosh, Sorry you had problems with 2.8, but glad you hung around and installed 2.7. 2.7 is a version of Ultimate Edition that contains even more programs than the even # versions, since you can log on to KDE and other window managers. Besides what you have done to configure your system, I usually go to Applications/System Tools/ultamatix and Ubuntu Tweak. BUT, it depends on what you want to use your computer for. Please let us know what you plan to use the computer/OS for, so we can help you.
dathem
1)HPE-500F a 6 core @ 2.70 Ghz, with 8 gigs of Ram and a 1.5 T HD
the graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 with 512 MB DDR3 Ultimate Edition 3.2, Windows 7
2) HP Pav Elite m9040n Core2 quad 4gig ram Nvidia Geforce 8400, 640 g hd Win.7, UBUNTU 10.10
3) Gateway FX4710-UB0031 Core 2 quad 6 g ram Nvidia 8600gt-1gigddr3, 640g hd & Windows 7, & PCT Destined
Registered Linux User 533601
dathem
U.E. Master
U.E. Master

Operating System: Ultimate Edition 2.7 32 BIT

Postby citra_tdz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 pm

hi, i am also a complete newbie to linux. i just try each programs that are preinstalled. when i want to know about something or looking for something about linux, i will just googling or post it here to ask. and i am still beginner after all. everything i have tried with the terminal still i cannot remember all the steps needed, and i will just googling again or open the files that i have saved.

let's just learn linux together, and for me Ultimate Edition is a wise decision i have made to learn linux with. just unfortunate i have never tried 2.7, seems that the even edition have more program, especially the video that show multiple desktop environtment that made up my mind to use Ultimate Edition, but in 2.8 i dont get it, coz i have to instal them again if i want them, but sure 2.8 comes with all the newest things, and i still like it.
citra_tdz
U.E. Knowledgable
U.E. Knowledgable

Postby extremejosh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello everyone,
thanks for all the comments im learning a little more about the programs from just trying them all out im a heavy gamer but i like an all around pc with all the cool eye candy that ultimate edition already has so dont need much help in that department i do have a question about this Ultimatix. if i install programs from the repository that are already installed what exactly does that do? does it just update the program or something?
anyways thanks for all the answer im so glad I'm not using windows anymore.

id like to also add that im really surprised at how fast this os runs with all these apps and eye candy its great
extremejosh
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby billhedrick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:43 pm

Welcome extremejosh! Installing programs from Ultamatix that have already been installed? Yea, I have tried that a couple times. My experience is that the program looks to see if the installed program is the same or newer than the one you are trying to install and if it is, skips it. Ubuntu and Ultimate Edition has some decent intelligence in them!
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby extremejosh » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:57 pm

billhedrick wrote:Welcome extremejosh! Installing programs from Ultamatix that have already been installed? Yea, I have tried that a couple times. My experience is that the program looks to see if the installed program is the same or newer than the one you are trying to install and if it is, skips it. Ubuntu and Ultimate Edition has some decent intelligence in them!

aww ok thanks for the info
extremejosh
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Postby TonyBlue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 am

Hi Ultimate Edition people,
This is about the most awesome and enticing distro of all! I have looked into several and want to install this one but is a 30MB partition enough to play w/all of it? Does it allow partitioning on install or should be done beforehand? My system:
Dell XPS M1310 w/a T2600 @ 2.16GHz, 2GiB ram, 80GiB HD, 75GiB available. Purchased used w/Mint9 already on it (Mint 9 Issadora, Kernel Linux 2.6.32-21-Generic, Gnome 2.30.2) and don't know password to access root, sudo, etc, just given log on password. After seeing the Ultimate Edition screenshots I think KDE version looks simpler to use. I would like to change it into seperate screens for each main subject as in PC Linux OS Full Monty. Is it possible and possible with my hardware? Also can netflix run on linux? Main uses: download writer's software, graphics software for designing floor plans, home, landscape, ....don't know what software that would be yet, telescope and photography uses, burn cd's, download music to mp3, record some dvd's, internet browsing. Maybe create/customize screens. That's mostly it.
Any advice?
TonyBlue
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Postby billhedrick » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:47 am

Welcome TonyBlue! Mint is a good place to start, it's a solid full distro... We feel Ultimate Edition is better though. If you like KDE, you should use an odd numbered version of Ultimate Edition, even numbers only have Gnome. I started with KDE, it was most friendly to someone coming from windows, now I am a gnome guy. They real selling point for Ultimate Edition is that you can find the best version of anything for you, you aren't limited to what the distro builder thinks is best.

Partitions? yea, set one up first
Software? Ultimate Edition has most everything you could want, I would suggest 2.9 as a good one for you. (3.1 would be newer and better, but it's not quite out yet)
billhedrick
Site Admin

Postby TonyBlue » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks so much for your advice. Is there a way I can learn to set 2.9 up like a PC Linux's Full Monty, ie, main screen and seperate ones for all internet, all writing, graphics, internet, audio, entertainment, and others like photography, and home files. Each category would have a screen w/all related apps in it. As for KDE, I heard it's faster, simple, more customizable. If gnome fits my needs I'll go for it. Just beginning to search for material to learn more with. Only book in town is at library and it is an early Red Hat Linux paperback! I'm 50 going on 25, still hungry for input. Thank you for your response, it's given me inspiration. I knew I was on the right track, Ultimate Edition just felt right. - TonyBlue
TonyBlue
U.E. Newbie
U.E. Newbie

Operating System: Ubuntu Gusty Gibson

Next

Return to Newbie's Corner